New to JM

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am new to JM and lurking at the boards to see where I fit in and saw this one. I am a mom of an only child right now but we are ttc starting recently. Our daughter is 6. she will be at least 7 before we have another one.

Any body have any words of wisdom and how to deal with such a big age gap? For our sanity and hers? How did your children handle having another one so much younger than them.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
AndoriaC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter, Angel, was about 6 1/2 when we decided to TTC our second, so I was in your position about a yearl and a half ago. She had been wanting a sibling for quite some time though. The entire way through my pregnancy we called the baby "OUR baby" with her, and I bought a book (Baby Oh Baby The Places You'll Go - A Book To Be Read In Utero) that she read to the baby a lot. We also took a special trip to Build A Bear Workshop where she made the baby a bear that she brough to the hospital. And at the hospital, I gave her a present as well - fabric markers and a pack of t-shirts and a pack of onesies so she could make shirts for herself and her new little sister. I think that keeping her involved with everything, and giving her things to do to get ready for the baby really helped. She is the best big sister! She loves helping out with Alana and is really great with her.

Hope this helps a little Good luck TTC! I hope you get a BFP soon!!

Click For My Digital Scrapbook Blog</div>
January 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Kaypea's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
good luck ttc! we did a lot of the "our" baby stuff too, it helped travis feel very connected.

January 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I like the idea of the shirts and markers. that is really neat. Serena is so into the crafty stuff right now so that would be right up her alley.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions to you both.
January 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Kaypea's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Please let us know how it goes!

January 18th, 2008, 10:23 AM
karri's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to karri
Girls just have such an innate sense of motherhood too, I'll bet she will just adore her new brother or sister and be such a great help for you. She's at an age where she will just want to pamper and spoil and mother and in response to all the attention the little one will naturally respond positively. In some ways I think you'll find the age gap reduces sibling rivalry as both childrens' need will be so different. I am very excited for your daughter, this will be an amazing experience for her and as long as she is very secure in your love for her, this will be one of the best times of her life. May God bless your family greatly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search