Having trouble picking nursery colors...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Regular
Hi, I'm Erika 23 weeks and having trouble picking furniture color.

is dark furniture a bad thing? My husband likes dark and I like white...We don't know the sex. He is saying that the dark will add some nice contrast to the light walls (either pink or blue) and the light wood floors....

Also, any suggestions on actual pieces would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Erika
July 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
MissLion's Avatar Super Mommy
Since almost everything else will be light colors, it'll probably look best if you go with a darker finish on the furniture, like Cherry or Espresso.

July 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Dark furniture isn't a bad thing at all. I prefer dark furniture. I think it'd look great with light walls and dark furniture.

here's some nursery pics for ideas....

Green walls

White walls:

purple walls:

pink walls:

yellow walls:

blue walls:

tan walls:

July 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Since almost everything else will be light colors, it'll probably look best if you go with a darker finish on the furniture, like Cherry or Espresso.[/b]
I agree!!

I'm not sure what your budget is, or how big the room is exactly, but, I'd got with pieces like these:

This crib can change from crib, to toddler bed, to day bed, to double bed. It is in the Cherry finish.
It's called Simplicity Ellis Crib/Changer Combo - Cherry on babiesrus.com

Toddler bed (with blue walls and light wood floors):

This crib does all the same as the last one, except it doesn't have the changer included. It's in the Ebony (or black) finish. It's called Simplicity Ellis Crib - Antique Black on babiesrus.com

Toddler bed:

I think the Ebony looks absolutely beautiful against the light coloured floors! Are you finding out the gender of your baby?

July 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
First, I want to state one thing to keep in mind with Simplicity cribs is that in 2007, they recalled one MILLION of their cribs (largest crib recall in history) because the side rails separated from the crib (55 incidents; two deaths). CPSC stated it was due to confusing assembly instructions and faulty design. Simplicity also had two previous safety recalls on its cribs.

Second, dark furniture isn't a bad thing. It just depends on what you like. I'd say look at different crib/dresser styles and see if you prefer them in dark or white. You may find that you like some styles better in a white finish and others in a dark finish.

I used to think white furniture would be my choice, but when I started going to stores and looking at white pieces together, I found all the white furniture to be jarring. I just didn't like all that white in one space. So, we went with an espresso crib and dresser.

I'm posting a few links and some pictures so you can do some comparing of wood finishes.

Here is the same crib in three different stains:
Cherry
Espresso
White

This link is for a crib bedding company, but their products are shown with cribs of varying colors.

Dark:

Dark & White Together:

White:

July 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
First, I want to state one thing to keep in mind with Simplicity cribs is that in 2007, they recalled one MILLION of their cribs (largest crib recall in history) because the side rails separated from the crib (55 incidents; two deaths). CPSC stated it was due to confusing assembly instructions and faulty design. Simplicity also had two previous safety recalls on its cribs.[/b]
I completely apologize!!! I had NO idea that this happened!!! I feel like a fool for posting them now!

Quote:
Dark & White Together:
[/b]
This absolutely has to be my favourite nursery that I've seen in a long time!! The white and dark look amazing together!!!!

July 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Quote:
I completely apologize!!! I had NO idea that this happened!!! I feel like a fool for posting them now! [/b]
I wouldn't have known either but my husband likes to check out reports. Glad he told me as I noticed our friend had registered for one of their drop-down ones. She's going with another brand now.

Quote:
This absolutely has to be my favourite nursery that I've seen in a long time!! The white and dark look amazing together!!!! [/b]
I agree. I would have never thought to put the white and dark together. It gives it a very polished look.

July 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM
OpheliaLoved's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've also heard that cribs with changing tables attached could be dangerous once the baby is mobile because the changer actually helps the baby to climb out of the crib. If you can take the changer off of the crib though it might be nice for when the baby is still tiny. Just something to think about for when your baby grows

I love dark furniture, but then again that is my style! To me, darker furniture gives the room that antique-y feeling, while light and white furniture makes the room feel more modern. There's nothing "wrong" with either style, just what you like! Darker furniture feels more warm to me, while white or light furniture gives a more sunny attitude to the room.

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
July 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Regular
Thanks so much for all of your help guys.

I think I might like this...

Does anyone know about the Baby Cache Tampa collection from Babies R Us? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3013017

Also, what are your thoughts on neutral bedding and colors? At first I hated the idea of neutrals- I wanted a very girly room if it is a girl, and a blue boys room if it's a boy... but now I'm re-thinking everything thinking we want to have more children- so wouldn't gender neutral end up saving money in the future because it is versatile and reusable? Let me know... and what are everyone's thoughts on this?

http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products...bansetcray.html

Thanks!!
July 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Does anyone know about the Baby Cache Tampa collection from Babies R Us? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3013017[/b]
Baby Cache is made by Munire Furniture and can be found in both JCPenney and Babies R Us. It's the first collection by Munire that is made for chain stores. I went with Munire because their furniture is solid, of good quality, built well (dove-tailed drawer joints and corner blocks on the drawers), and is not made in China. Munire also received an A rating from Baby Bargains by Denise and Alan Fields. Here are some customer comments regarding the Baby Cache line.

As for gender neutral sets, there's nothing wrong with that. After all, it's your nursery. The set you have picked out is beautiful! We originally thought of going with a gender neutral set so that is could be reused. However, we realized that if we had another child within two years of the first, the bedding set would still be in use on the toddler bed (as we bought a lifetime crib). Plus, I fell in love with this set (if it's a girl).

August 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
U ladies on the ball with this! my work here is done... lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
August 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before I was pregnant, I was dead-set on white furniture, but once I started looking, I fell in love with dark furniture.

This is our crib & changing table.

August 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
i think we are to do walnut stained furnitures with cocoa walls but it is so hard to choose....
September 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
Quote:
Quote:
I completely apologize!!! I had NO idea that this happened!!! I feel like a fool for posting them now! [/b]
I wouldn't have known either but my husband likes to check out reports. Glad he told me as I noticed our friend had registered for one of their drop-down ones. She's going with another brand now.

Quote:
This absolutely has to be my favourite nursery that I've seen in a long time!! The white and dark look amazing together!!!! [/b]
I agree. I would have never thought to put the white and dark together. It gives it a very polished look.
[/b]
I got a Simplicity crib!!
They only recalled the cheap crappy ones from walmart. Wasn't it the bedroom in a box one where you could get a crib, dresser and changing table in one box for under $200? Of course it's going to be cheap crap. Not all their stuff is bad.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search