Your budget!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did/do you have a budget? If your nursery is already together, did you go over budget? What item did you purchase that you regret buying? What item did you fall in love with?

October 29th, 2008, 06:21 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
We don't have a budget persay, just trying to be frugal with our spending, since this is our first we have a lot of stuff we need! Got our crib off craigslist for $20, got some of the nursery decor/furniture/mattress as shower gifts and got his bedding off ebay for $50. All we have left to get is the glider/ottoman. We're probably spent $200 so far on his room. Will probably end up spending $400-500 pending what glider/ottoman we get.

October 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Lindsey.. just out of curiosity.. how far along were you when you had your shower? I haven't decided when is BEST to have it.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

October 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I haven't had my shower yet...It's next Saturday and I'll be 31 weeks. I wanted it this weekend but it wouldn't work out with Halloween and a community garage sale. I've heard between 28-32 weeks is a good time frame, not to early and not too late so yous till have time to get stuff you didn't get and set up and wash it all.

October 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We TTC currently, so I don't know really about budget, but I'm pretty much in the same boat as Lindsey that we would need EVERYTHING since it would be our first. I am addicted to Craigslist and scouring bargain stores already, so hopefully we'll get some really amazing deals when the time comes.

October 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Veteran
I didn't really set a budget just bought a little each month to spread it out. The most I've spent was on her armoire and I got it on sale at baby depot and love it. I shop ebay and places like Ross and Marshalls where I can find cute things for cheap I still need to get a few things to spruce up her wall above her crib. I'll probaly spell her name out above her crib but I'll make them myself as soon as I can get to Hobby Lobby. So far I have no regrets on the things I've bought
November 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have just bought the cot, as it was the one we liked, and it ws on sale at a third off, Im only 17 weeks, but it was too good to miss. Im not having bumpers as they recommend not to now, so I have got a blanket, border and matching lampshade. Ill post some photos when we paint.

November 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Veteran
I am going to try to spend less than $1000 for everything. We are starting with nothing, but hopefully we can do it.
November 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No budget.. just bought what I liked/wanted. Don't regret anything I bought even though it was a little more money then I wanted to spend.

November 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I didn't budget at all.

I wish I would have never bought a $200+ bedding set for a boy 2 weeks before I found out the sex I couldn't take it back and well I am having a girl. such a WASTE of money. It makes me sick.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
November 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
MrsMamaS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're first times who need everything too, but we're not really on a budget either. Though I can say I'm a Walmart girl, not a Pottery Barns Kids kind of girl....

I've probably spent $100-200 on clothes (for both sexes) so far. I wish I wouldn't have done that!! But impatience and excitement got the best of me in the beginning.

I think all of the matching crib bedding (includes 4 pc crib set, lamp, mobile, blankets, receiving blankets, etc) was $150-200.

Our furniture (crib, mattress, dresser, changer, glider) was just under $1000.

Primer, wallpaper, and paint for the room was around $250-300.

December 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't have a specific budget for the nursery, but we are both very thrifty. Managed to get the crib free and had the bookshelf and dresser already. We only had to buy paint and supplies for painting and outlet and light switch plates for the room and some accent paint and new hardware for the dresser (it was ugly and scratched up before its makeover). We opted not to buy anything unnecessary that we didn't manage to find for a good price (ie. glider and ottoman, changing table, etc.). I still hunt Craigslist for those things, but haven't found any for such a good deal that I MUST have it. I can always put a pad or folded towel down on the top of the dresser and use that in place of a changing table, but I did want a glider and ottoman. Thought it would make my life a little easier... Oh well.

I don't regret any of my purchases for the baby. I bought everything used that was possible to get used and got excellent flea market deals (twenty-five to fifty cents each for most of his clothes).

I love his whole room. The dresser came out especially classy and gorgeous. My hubby did a great job on painting it and giving it new drawer pulls.

December 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What can't you take it back Jlynn? That would make me so angry! Sell it!

Seems like everyone on here had a good plan set out!

December 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Quote:
I didn't budget at all.

I wish I would have never bought a $200+ bedding set for a boy 2 weeks before I found out the sex I couldn't take it back and well I am having a girl. such a WASTE of money. It makes me sick.[/b]
Sell it on ebay or craigslist. I guarantee someone will buy it

December 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Butterfly2009's Avatar Super Mommy
yeah craigslist or ebay is probably a better idea for selling the new bedding set!

back to the subject: we didnt budget- just watching our money. the crib was

$100 on (craigs list)
$75 changing table (craigs list)
$130 Glider (worth $300! craigs list)

then we bought the dresser and few other items from a garage sales for cheap cheap!

we are buying clothing from either craigs list (found some fantastic stuff!) and childrens re-sale shops. much nicer and even cheaper then going through even walmart.
December 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
We don't have a budget per se, but we are trying not to go too overboard. Being that he is our first, we need everything and I have no idea how to use Craig's List as sad as that is. I am pretty computer savy (I learn quick) but that site confuses me. We are getting his nursery furniture at Walmart.com though (site to store shipping) because we are moving in about a year (we live with my parents right now, it's a 5000 sq ft house and we basically have our own "wing") and we're going to leave the nursery set from Walmart here and buy the one I really want later once Eric gets stationed (it's from BRU). He's leaving for OCS (basic training for officers - Army) soon after the New Year which is why I will be living with my parents till he gets all his training done. Here is the furniture we are ordering very soon:

the 3-piece set is $629.84, so not too bad.

We have his bedding already (from BRU):

And we still have to pick out our glider/outtoman. All in all we will probably have spent about $1500 + on his nursery alone.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

January 24th, 2010, 10:50 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
*bump* Good topic!

Did/do you have a budget? We didn't have a budget for either nursery. We didn't go overboard on any one item, so I still think we were reasonable in how much we spent.

If your nursery is already together, did you go over budget? N.A.

What item did you purchase that you regret buying? The matching, cloth hamper to my DD's nursery set. Although it looks cute, it's not practical on laundry day.

What item did you fall in love with? My favorite part of my kid's nurseries are the wall quotes.
January 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went way overboard on her nursery, but I don't regret it at all. Her furniture was $1600.00 for everything (gifted from her grandparents)....it's a convertible crib, a dresser, and a changing table with a hutch over it so when she doesn't need a changing table anymore, she can use it for whatever. We haven't decided if when we have our 2nd baby (hopefully Aug/Sept 2011, if our IUI in December works) if we will just transfer that furniture to the new room, or get the 2nd bebe her own.
We put new carpet in which was $900, we spent about $200 on paint and supplies (her room is pink, tan, brown, and white polka dots)....I spent like $20.00 on her letters which I painted myself

my sister in law made her french picture boards, so those didn't cost us anything. Her bedding was $300-something from JCP..that was for everything, a lamp, 4 sheets, bumper, and a blanket for when she is older. We got our glider at wal mart and it's exactly the same as the expensive ones a.t babies r us...it was $130.00 or something like that. We use everything in her room regulary, except the crib because we are still room sharing. We plan to start the crib transition in Feb though.

if she slobs all over the crib, we will just let her pickout a big girl bed. I didn't particularly want a convertible crib, but I loved the furniture set and my in laws offered to get it for us <shrug>

subsequent bebes will all get really special nurserys too

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search