Cuddly Critters Themed Nursery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
MrsMamaS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm new to this board. My name is Jamie, and I'm from PA. My DH, Eric, and I are expecting our first little one on April 14, 2009.

Of course, since this is our first baby, we plan on going all out for his or her nursery (within a reasonable Walmart-level budget!). We will find out the sex of baby-to-be on December 3rd, but are still planning a unisex nursery to allow for easy use with future babes.

My nursery plan is entirely themed around crib bedding that I fell in love with two years ago and bought before we really had serious plans for a baby. It's Claire Murray by Riegel in the pattern "Cuddly Critters." Here's a pic:

Our room "before" had horrible trailer paneling (we live in a double-wide - for now!) and hunter green carpeting. We're leaving the carpeting as is since it's in great shape, but that paneling had to go!

So far, here's what we've done:

-Removed all ceiling, door and window trim
-Removed all horrible trailer paneling tack strips (ick!)
-Spackled and sanded all cracks left after tack strips removed
-Primed the walls
-Wallpapered with vinyl, paintable wallpaper to help cover the paneling's pattern and to conceal any remaining flaws

The wallpaper we chose is a vertical stripe pattern that alternates between a 1/2 inch raised stripe and then a 1/4 inch depressed stripe.

Here's what we have left to do:

-Paint
-Replace all outlet covers with our new child safe ones
-Buy new ceiling, door and window trims, plus we're adding floor trim
-Install either a ceiling fan or a new lighting fixture
-Install a new blind and new curtains
-Clean out the closet
-Scrub carpets
-Order and assemble furniture
-Decorate

Where I need help is with curtains and decorations.

I am at a total loss as to what I should do for curtains and how I can tie the room theme into them.

As far as decorations, I know I want to hang the quilt on the wall, but I'd also like to come up with at least one other home-made wall-hanging type decoration.

Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome!!

We bought our paint this weekend and plan on painting next weekend. We picked a very pale orange color. Wish us luck - I'm hoping it will look great with the carpeting and crib bedding!

Edited to add:

Here are some pics of our progress so far:

Pic #1 is the room as you walk in the door (facing the left corner - my house is too tiny to get you the whole wall in one camera frame!)

Pic #2 is from the rear, left corner (beside the closet). The window is the same window you see in pic #1.

Pic #3 is from the front, left corner facing the door (the door on the right is the closet)

Pic #4 is from the front, right corner facing the closet - again I can't get the entire width of the room in one frame.

Pic #5 is a closeup of our paintable wallpaper pattern.

November 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! You guys have done a lot of work already!! Nice job!!

Don't have any ideas yet about curtains or other decorations, but I like the pale orange on the walls. I think that will complement the green carpet well

November 14th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You´re making me think that I should maybe start something soon!!. I like the wallpaper, and when its painted it will look great. Its quite a big room, you won´t have much trouble fitting everything in.
I really love the bedding, its crisp and clean and not too baby/themed and best of all its ideal for a pink or a blue bean.

PS I though you were adament team greeners??

November 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Here's the painted nursery! DH did a great job!

Quote:
You´re making me think that I should maybe start something soon!!. I like the wallpaper, and when its painted it will look great. Its quite a big room, you won´t have much trouble fitting everything in.
I really love the bedding, its crisp and clean and not too baby/themed and best of all its ideal for a pink or a blue bean.

PS I though you were adament team greeners??[/b]
I picked this bedding because it's not over-the-top googoo gaga baby - that's not my style - at all!

I was an adamant team greener - DH flopped on me and decided he absolutely could not wait. Then both Grandma-to-be's started pressuring me, so if everyone wants to know, I guess we'll find out!

November 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, you guys seriously have done a lot in the room!!! I agree, the room doesn't look small, so I'm sure it'll all fit in there nicely.

As for the curtains, you could easily go with an orange for it. I think that would look really nice!

November 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Nursery Chronicles Volume III

We started putting the trims up this weekend. We made a trip to Lowe's and to Home Depot, and ended up not buying anything but a mini blind because we couldn't make a decision on what type of trim we wanted. It all had to do with the color I wanted not having a crown moulding piece available. Anyway, we made two separate trips to town and came home empty handed. We started thinking about just putting the old trim back up, but then I remembered that we had bought some floor trim for our other spare bedroom like two years ago and still had never put it down. We got it out, and sure enough, it was the color I favored from Lowe's. We decided that we'd just use the floor trim in reverse on the ceiling and BINGO - crown moulding problem solved!! We didn't want to make ANOTHER trip to town this weekend, so we decided we'd just start with the easy trims - both doors. Here's pics of our progress so far:

The closet door

The main door

And here's a pic of what the floor trim will look like. I just laid a piece in place - it's not attached yet!

This trim was really touch and go for us. Neither of us had done it before and we had to cut the angles just perfectly on a miter saw, or they wouldn't fit together. I think all in all, we did a great job for two newbies!!

December 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Nursery Chronicles Volume IV

Eric and his Dad finished the trims on Black Friday and on Saturday, DH and I went to pick up our furniture that was in. Everything has come in but the crib. It seems to be taking an extra long time.

Here's a pic of the assembled dresser and glider. You can see the finished floor, ceiling, and window trims in the background. We will be hanging the picture on the wall above the dresser, we just haven't gotten that far.

Here is a pic of the crib mattress lying where I plan to put the crib.

Here's a pic of the assembled changing table. The basket on top is the stuff I need to get washed. Basically, just unisex clothes, blankets and the crib bedding.

December 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
UPDATE: Crib and Curtains

This is our assembled crib. I was so mad...we spent the time to wash, iron, and starch the crib skirt...and it ended up all wrinkled anyway! Grr!!!! Yesterday, I just bought letters that spell Connor's name to paint to match the bedding and then hang above the crib...wish me luck...I'm NOT artistically inclined!!

Another shot of the crib. Never mind my mess on top of the changing table! Oh...that reminds me though...my Mom is going to sew those striped receiving blankets together to make me a changing pad cover that coordinates with my other bedding! I HEART my Mommy!

Here are the sheer curtains I decided on. I am undecided as to whether or not I need more than just sheers. DH likes them the way they are, but I think the window just needs *something more...* I'm at least thinking two more panels because right now, if you try to strech the sheers the length of the window, they don't look right. Any and all opinions are welcome. (P.S. - the length kinda sucks because those curtains came in 63" length and 84" length. Well, we didn't have enough room for the 84", so I had to get 63")

Another shot of the curtains. MIL gave me two small shelves that are going to go on the walls behind the rocker. Eric's Grandpa made them, and they match PERFECTLY! We just dont have the up yet because we don't have anything to put on them yet!

December 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
~Valerie~
It looks great! You did a great job!
December 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Wow it looks great! since it's a boy, I would accent with both the orangey color that seems to be dominant in the bedding and with the light blue that's in it. You can get small shelves and paint them light blue and get picture frames for the wall painted light blue. You could get a valance to hang over the curtain that's solid light blue to bring some color to that side of the room. Here's what I mean: You can see Jordana's colored valance hanging in front of her sheer curtains:

You can get baskets and line them with light blue. Good luck! Looks so cute!

ETA: pics of ideas:

Everything's at walmart.com
January 4th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Okay....here's some updated nursery pics.

The first one is NOT the letters, it just shows the two shelves that DH's Grandfather made. DH finally hung them last night. (Nevermind my curious kitty....)

Here is the crib with the newly added letters from afar (the big bear was a Christmas gift from SIL and her BF! - too cute!):

Here is a close up...I'm no artist, so they're not great by any standards...but I'm happy how they turned out!

To those of you who are thinking about doing your own letters, I got mine at Michael's, the craft store. The letters were around $3 each. Then I got all cheap acrylic paints, some brushes, painter's tape. In total, it cost me about $50 to make these....the most expensive part being buying the brushes!

Finally, here is a close up shot of the crib sheet and crib skirt so you can see my inspiration...

January 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I love the letters! So cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search