Where do you start?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been looking around at nurseries and pictures and I have NO CLUE where to start, how to finalize what we want, nothing! How did you ladies choose the nursery theme, the colors, etc.?

If it helps, we don't plan on finding out the gender but I don't necessarily want to go with the standard neutral green. I'm not a big pastel fan either... anyone have any suggestions?

I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks ladies!

Thank you ~*I:Makerinces*~ for my beautiful siggy!

March 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Super Mommy
I had this problem too....... My best advice is find something you really love (paint color, bedding, curtains) and just start building off of that.... it will all come together!

Thank you brui77 for my signature!!!

March 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
I agree. I think it's harder for people who don't find out the sex. For me, I was looking at bedding for the first 25 weeks or so of my pregnancy. I found out he was a boy at 16 weeks and then it was confirmed at my 20 week ultrasound. I finally found a bedding that I loved so I just went ahead and ordered it. From then on out I didn't really focus on looking at bedding anymore b/c I was so afraid I'd find something else and be like "oh I like that better blah blah" I just focused on what we wanted to do with the rest of the nursery and planned that out. I had my shower at 33 weeks and his nursery was pretty much complete just a week or so after that. It felt like a long time in the making lol! But I am SOOO thrilled with it now! GL choosing a theme. If you could post some pictures of some nurseries you think are nice or something, I could probably look about and find some things.. but being gender neutral and you not really telling us your "style" makes it hard for us to find things you might like!

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

March 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I agree. I think it's harder for people who don't find out the sex. For me, I was looking at bedding for the first 25 weeks or so of my pregnancy. I found out he was a boy at 16 weeks and then it was confirmed at my 20 week ultrasound. I finally found a bedding that I loved so I just went ahead and ordered it. From then on out I didn't really focus on looking at bedding anymore b/c I was so afraid I'd find something else and be like "oh I like that better blah blah" I just focused on what we wanted to do with the rest of the nursery and planned that out. I had my shower at 33 weeks and his nursery was pretty much complete just a week or so after that. It felt like a long time in the making lol! But I am SOOO thrilled with it now! GL choosing a theme. If you could post some pictures of some nurseries you think are nice or something, I could probably look about and find some things.. but being gender neutral and you not really telling us your "style" makes it hard for us to find things you might like!

March 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Maddox View Post
but being gender neutral and you not really telling us your "style" makes it hard for us to find things you might like!

LOL! I don't know what my style is when it comes to a little one! LOL. I tend to like the baby animals idea because that's cute and gender neutral. I also love frogs but am not sure if I should do a whole froggie nursery! I love the richer colored woods when it comes to cribs and love deeper colors. I think when decorating my own home my style is a bit eclectic. I like clean lines, open spaces and furniture that doesn't make you feel claustrophobic.

I saw your nursery with that cool mural on the wall and that's something we'd love to look into. Where did you find the person that did yours? I could envision like a jungle scene or a pond scene on our wall so as the baby grows there's something to explore mentally, I love that idea.

I don't know if any of this helps but here you have it. I'll grab some of the pics I like as well and share.

Ladies, thanks so much for your help!

Thank you ~*I:Makerinces*~ for my beautiful siggy!

March 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Perhaps go here to get some ideas.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...es/gallery.esi

March 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I had planned to get someone to paint a mural on my son's walls around the time we chose the bedding. I kept looking around for someone to paint it. I had people who 'said' they could paint it but I was a little iffy because something like that is a BIG job and I was afraid they'd start and not finish or it wouldn't be what I had envisioned. One day while discussing it w/ a friend, she mentioned her aunt did this type of thing on the side. I asked her if she would call her for me and she did. Her aunt and I exchanged emails and she drew up a rough sketch which she scanned & emailed to me. I first took pictures of the bare walls in the nursery and sent her lots of pics of the bedding, etc. The sketch was so cute! It looks almost just like the finished product actually! She quoted me a price & then we set up a weekend for her to come work on it. She actually lived nearly 2 hrs away. She ended up staying 24 hours straight finishing it! We had planned for her to go home and come back, but she just got engrossed in it and ended up staying. It saved her another 4 hr round trip! We are so thrilled with it! We just LOVE his nursery

March 9th, 2009, 08:48 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Once I knew what gender I was having, I started looking for bedding and narrowed it down with DH's help. I also got an idea of what color furniture I wanted to use. I loved the black furniture, but not all beddings look good with black (especially if the bedding has brown in it). Once we picked the bedding, I picked out a wall color, and went from there.
March 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDutch View Post
If it helps, we don't plan on finding out the gender but I don't necessarily want to go with the standard neutral green. I'm not a big pastel fan either... anyone have any suggestions?
I wanted to paint the room before I got pregnant so the room color was chosen well before a theme or furniture for us. We couldn't decide on a green or yellow that we liked. We finally decided to go with blue since we both like it, it's a soothing color, and it's reasonably neutral from a decorating standpoint. We didn't want pastel, but also didn't want anything too overwhelmingly dark/bold. I did a sponged faux finish on the walls with three shades of blue (Valspar Enchanted Sea, Autumn Sky, and Encounter). That let me make the wall color darker than pastel but not overwhelmingly dark. It also let me get away from the shade that I think of as "baby blue".

We're going with an animal theme which brings a lot of greens and browns into the room. The blue seems to be working so far with the pieces I've looked at. It becomes sort of a representation of sky, I think.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search