Newbie help please!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
ilovemy3girls's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Jacqueline! DH and I are expecting DD3 in June and I am in need of help with our dilemma... We have 3 bedrooms upstairs and our girls have seperate rooms and I would like to keep it that way until DD2 is a little older. So I had remembered seeing at ikea a master bedroom with a nursery setup in the closet... We have a HUGE walk-in closet... no joke it probably 3/4 the size of our girls' rooms so I set the crib up in there and the door will just always remain open. (it's a normal door on it). That way we're the only ones disturbed and our girls will get a full nights sleep. My first question is do you think this is a horrible idea? Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? The whole idea of a nursery in a closet isn't my idea of a great nursery but she will adventually have her own room once she's 6 months or so and sleeping through the night. Then my next question is how should I make that corner of our closet more like a nursery? I was thinking of draping fabric or something over the walls kinda like a curtain in the back and hanging little painted wooden butterflies and letter spelling out her name over the fabric. Do you think that would help? I'll be storing her blanekts, towels, and burp clothes above her on the shelf. I will take any ideas you have! TIA! Sorry this ended up so long.

Sorry about the mess! We're trying to go through stuff and clean it out for her! These pictures are just the right side of the closet... it's double the size with 2 dressers in there and one is her dresser for now...

Here is a closeup of her bedding

Her crib closeup

Last edited by ilovemy3girls; March 24th, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
March 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I will have the same dilemma when we have our third baby too. I will not want to put him/her in the same room as an older sibling in the fear the baby would wake the child. So, I plan on putting the crib in my son's room if the baby is a boy and in my daugher's room if the baby is a girl. I'll put his/her name above the crib, personalize the nursery in small ways for that baby (i.e. sono pics in a frame, coming home outfit hanging on a peg etc...), and have a dresser full of clothes and supplies. However, the baby will sleep in our room until he/she is sleeping through the night and I'm sure that the baby won't wake the older sibling or vice versa. As for diapers, wipes, burp clothes, and the like, I'll keep a stash outside of the nurseries in the event I'm up late with the baby and need the supplies without wanting to disturb another child.

If the baby is not sleeping through the night by 6 months or something of the sort, I've also considered having the two older children sleep in a full-size bed in DD's nursery and the baby sleeping in the boy's nursery regardless of gender.

Yes, I've seen pictures of a nursery set up in a closet in this forum. You might browse through some of the threads in this forum to find pics. One was particularly cute. However, I would not do it myself unless it was absolutely necessary. And, do you want to go through the trouble of setting up and decorating a nursery in your closet for it to change just 6 months down the road? If you want to do it that way, I think you have some great ideas with the fabric, butterflies, and wood letters. I would suggest removing the shelving you have though and creating a tower of storage on another wall. (For one, I'd be afraid that something might fall off the shelf and hit the baby or smother her.) If you removed the closet door (temporarily), it'll make the closet look and feel bigger and more inviting. You might also add a mirror somewhere because that always makes a room feel more open...especially if it could reflect light from a bedroom window.

Best of luck! And, congratulations on three girls! Girls are so much fun! And, they'll love growing up together and having each other throughout life.
March 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
AndreaRenee's Avatar raising boys...
my first thought is.. no, that doesnt sound good. A babys room needs to be well ventilated, stimulating and such... my suggestion would be to have the 2 older daughters bunk up, make it super fun, let them pick out their colors etc... and put the newborn in the room with your son. OR I would put the crib some place in your bedroom and not the closet (use the closet to store ALL her stuff, changing table etc.. but have her sleep OUT of the closet).

good luck!
March 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont see the difference between being in the closet, and being in an alcove of the main room. I dont think its a problem as long as the main room is well ventilated.
I´ve seen the rooms in IKEA with the crib in the closet too, and I think its a good idea for when its the 3rd baby in a 3 bedroomed house.
I love your bedding and wall pictures, whatever you decide, remember to put some pictures on for us.

April 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
IamMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's hard to tell exactly how big the closet it but I would be hesitant to put my baby in the closet - without windows and all that - even if the door was always open. If it had to be done I'd take the door off all together for fear of it someone shutting (wind, pet etc.) locking ...ahhh I could just freak right now for some horrible accident happening with the door thing. I would also take down those white metal shelves and put up something more sturdy - or not have any shelves right over the crib...Again I worry about things falling in on the baby.....makes me worry about my own crib that has an attached dresser and I did set a lamp on it with my son....hmmmm

Anyway - you're little one is going to be two right by the time the baby arrives....my son moved into his big boy bed and room when he was a bit over 2....and he loved it. I think the two older girls would do well to share a big girl room...? Just a thought. You may be totally set on keeping them separate still. Let us know what you decide and post pics when its all said and done! Good luck!

"Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward."
Psalm 127:3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search