Any ideas for a boy/girl room?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Super Mommy
Hi,
It's not exactly a nursery, but we're remodeling our entire house (and get this, baby #3 is due in 46 days. Ack!), and my 2.5 year old DD and 18 month old son are going to be sharing a room.
I'd like the room to blend together nicely, but how do you decorate for both a boy and girl, and still have some gender separation going on?
Thanks in advance!

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
May 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran
One way might be to do an animal theme with the more feminine animals being on the girl's side and the more masculine ones being on the boy's side.

May 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Are there brother/sister or girl/boy cartoon character pairs you might use? Minnie Mouse on one side and Mickey on the other or Minnie, Daisy, & co on the girl side and Mickey, Donald, and co on the other. Raggedy Ann and Andy?

Last edited by mbsn; May 28th, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
May 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could do a royalty room, Over his bed "our sweet prince" and over hers "our sweet princess" paint the toom like rolling hills and put castles on it... really you could do anything. Make it a bright primary colors room (like crayola kind of theme), or I knew a little boy who had a field theme. She fixed white pickets around the room for the fence and it looked like a room right out of peter cotton tail.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
May 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
A garden theme could also work.....bugs, turtles, and frogs on his side and butterflies, ladybugs, and flowers on her side.
June 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I've always LOVED Sesame Street and did my kid's room in those characters!
June 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I would probably just choose simple colors that go well together. I'm all about being able to grow with whatever I buy. My son LOVES the movie Cars (and I mean LOVES...) but I won't decorate his room in it because he probably won't want to watch it every day in a year.

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

June 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here are some ideas (sorry if they're repeats, I didn't read everyone's responses)

Animal theme
Underwater theme
Prince/Princess theme
Yellow duck theme
Outdoor theme... trees, flowers, grass, sunshine, rainbow, bugs, etc.
Polka dot theme
Stripes theme
Polka dot & stripes theme
June 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the ideas!

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
June 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I would go with a gender neutral (like brown, yellow or green) and then do pink accents on one side of the room and blue on the other.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search