Incorporating new baby into toddler's room.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Ooh_lala's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok so we just moved and are pregnant with baby # 3. We dont know the sex yet, but either way, the baby will be sharing a room with one of the toddlers. (ages 2 & 1), what themes do you suggest so that the older children wont feel there room is so "babyish" but still be functional as a nursery as well.

Piper- 02/12/07
Camden- 02/27/08
Ryker- 01/12/10
Atticus- 05/26/11

FINALLY expecting PINK again! Tatum Carlee EDD 06/08.

You don't have to ask, yes we know what causes it, and since you're asking and dont, google might be a nice place to start.
July 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well I didn't want a "babyish" nursery for my little girl so I went with polka dots....had we had a boy his name would have been hunter and his room would have either been cowboy theme or woodsy...but we are very blue collar...we didn't want to have to redo the nursery when the LO was about a year because they had outgrown the baby so we found these themes work well enough that they can stay that until the kiddo is old enough to ask for new bedding or something!

i also think for boys, car/truck themes are appealing to many diff age groups

girls - i think paisley is pretty and grows well

i think as long as you avoid animals or something like that you should be able to make anything work!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 9th, 2009, 08:50 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First... just my opinion, but I'd have the older two share a room (even if they're opposite sexes) until new baby is sleeping consistantly through the night... To me it just seems like an infant will cause a lot of sleepless nights for the older one sharing a room with him/her. probably even through the first year since there is such a differance at that age.

I'd decorate the baby room however you would choose if it was sharing a room with the appropriate sibling, then decorate the other one in a similar theme, but neutral greens or yellows. Then when the babyis old enough to share a room you don't ahevto redecorate, you can just throw some accents to de-neutralize the room.

So anyways to answer the question you asked rather than the unsolicited advice I'm giving. I'd use polkadots, stripes or plaids... I am particularly partial to plaid/ gingham. I don't think you can really go wrong in this area. I mean decorate the room for the elder child, by the time the infant is old enough to like/dislike it, they'll be old enough to be into the same things.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; July 9th, 2009 at 08:53 PM.
July 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
We decorated my daughter's room in a garden theme. It has flowers, butterflies, and dragonflies. The colors are cream, red, gray, black, green, and yellow. It could easily last her through her pre-teen years.

My son's room is decorated with a jungle theme; but I think it will still work until he's at least 5. By then, I'll want to redecorate anyways.

The modern, abstract decor (i.e. polka dots, shapes, swirls, etc) is good for babies through pre-teen, even teen years.

I agree about having the two older kids sleep in the same room until the baby is sleeping through the night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search