Decorating while renting

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
LuvCaleb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvCaleb
For those of you that rent your home or have an apartment what kind of decorating are you allowed to do?

the room was newly painted when we moved in, and he allowed us to put carpet in instead us the wood floors, but he doesnt like us to use nails in the walls.

What other ways of decorating have you done or can you do to help spruce up their rooms?
January 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have it easy, we rent from my sister & her husband and they don't care what we do to the house We could paint every room neon orange if we wished and they wouldn't care! LOL (However, I would NEVER do that!).

A lot of places have different rules, here are some rules that I know of (from friends telling me about where they live)

They can paint, but have to return walls to the original color when they are moving out.

They can use nails, but have to patch all holes when moving out.

They can put up wall border, but has to be removable and removed when moving out.
January 25th, 2007, 04:18 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Are you allowed to tack stuff to the wall? There are tapes made that dont pull off paint. I bet you could find something at lowes.

You could probably put up appliques..im not sure if they are easily removed or not

What kind of decorating are you wanting to do?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Regular
At our last apartment, we got permission to paint any of the walls and/or put up borders, as long as we paint over it before we leave in order to get our deposit back. It really depends on your landlords. Sometimes if you really want to, you can tell them you will give up part of your deposit if they let you paint the walls. But I would think if you said you would return the walls to the original color when you move out, it should be ok.

<div align="center"></div>
January 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At the apartment I rented we could put up pics with nails, but we had to patch the holes up when we left. I would agree to check out the 3m hooks that use tape. They make some pretty heavy duty ones, down to lightweight ones. You could dress up the walls with fabric if you chose a very light weight one.

The blinky is clickable!!
January 26th, 2007, 06:34 AM
LuvCaleb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvCaleb
thanks for the help ladies! im not really sure what im looking for but i know i would like to do more! I'll post pics up later if i actually get to redo his room!
January 26th, 2007, 07:05 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was also going to make the suggestion of fabric on the wall instead of painting. You could get enough fabric to cover one accent wall, top to bottom, and you could find the right type of double sided tape to hold it up. It would definitely give you some color to a room! Another idea I've seen is people putting up curtains all along one wall, or putting up curtains wider than the window actually is to make the window look bigger.... this is especially nice if the window in a room is not centered completely

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search