Walls: when TOO busy?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2007, 05:43 AM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think you need something on every wall? Or does it just look too busy?
February 3rd, 2007, 05:49 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends on how big the room is. If it is a small room, then it might look too busy. But if it is a large room, a bare wall might look too plain. KWIM? Brinlee's room is mid-sized, I'd say. But her walls are broken down with either a door or a window on 3 of the 4 walls. So, I made sure there was something on the only solid wall. That is where I placed Brinlee's shelf that has a quilt rack under it. The quilt for her bedding (until she is in a toddler bed) is hanging on it now. On the wall where she has a window (window is in the middle of the wall) I just put 2 ceramic angels on one said and nothing on the other (because the closet door opens and covers it and I didn't want anything getting knocked off). Brinlee's dresser with mirrored hutch is on another wall, so I don't have anything hanging on the walls. On the 4th wall is Brinlee's crib, I have her letters for her name kinda high up on the wall and a space for a painting when we get it below that.

So, I think as long as there are at least some furniture or something hanging on each side it should be ok.
February 3rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
This room is the strangest room ever.

Let me tell you why. They knocked out half of the wall of the Master bedroom to have this room attached. So it could be a nursery. So there are two main walls. Both have windows. Then the other wall would have been main wall with a reg closet but they made it into a huge closet. It is almost the whole length minus a few feet of the room. It is like a 8 ft long closet and has a few feet left of wall and then there is the half wall. Well the half wall and the few feet of wall left from the closet make like a little cubby area and then it is open to my room. I plan on getting like a slider door for the open wall so that the nursery can be semi shut off but that will be later. So really we are limited with the walls in his room and wanted to make sure that I had enough to make it themed but not too busy! LOL
February 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From the sounds of Cody's room, I don't think you would have to have something on every wall... if you wish not to. I think it would look fine without. Where do you plan on hanging his letters for his name?
February 3rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ditto^ I don't think it sounds like you need something everywhere. If there is a small skinny wall space or something, you could just hang little star peg hooks or something. Or even just use a stencil to paint a couple stars and a moon...
I wouldn't cram things on the wall if there's not much space because like you said, it will just look too busy and squished.
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

February 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Stone's nursery has a mural on one wall above the crib. Then his letters are above the changing table. I painted stars as a border around the top of the room so that gives each wall some decor. the other walls are pretty much covered with the other dresser and a shelf. I have some pics hanging on the wall with the letters. Pics are in the your nursery post.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I still havien't decided on his name. Where to put it. I bought unfinished Star Knob that you can hang something from. Thinking maybe the diaper stacker or even jackets. We are going to go get a few things for the nursery today and then I will be cleaning like a mad woman and moving some things that don't belong...

Hopefully this week can show some more off.
February 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The rule is if the wall is less than 36" it should not have something hanging on it.

But: Think scale. If you have a small 6" hanging on a 24" wall and it doesn't look crammed in there. It's fine. Hang one thing at a time and start on the big wall. Then wait a few days and look around every once in a while. You'll then see a spot that looks bare. Then add the next hanging and do the same. Be sure to have curtians hung because those will take focus off walls.

Always hang things about 2" lower than you think they should be. This is a common problem of things hung too high.

</div>
February 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Joni927's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Completely off the subject, I LOVE how your kids are all C names! I want to do that too! My husband and I are Joel and Joni and this is Juliana or Justin!

Thank you so much, Jessica "dettmer26", for the beautiful siggie!

</div>
January 3rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
*bump*

This is a good topic.

I think most walls need at least a little something on them - especially for mid to large size rooms. If it's a small room, then a wall or two with nothing on them will help the room feel bigger (but I'd also add a good-size mirror somewhere to help it feel bigger).

If the wall is a little corner of a wall or a half-wall, then no, it doesn't necessarily need anything.
January 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzine21 View Post
The rule is if the wall is less than 36" it should not have something hanging on it.

But: Think scale. If you have a small 6" hanging on a 24" wall and it doesn't look crammed in there. It's fine. Hang one thing at a time and start on the big wall. Then wait a few days and look around every once in a while. You'll then see a spot that looks bare. Then add the next hanging and do the same. Be sure to have curtians hung because those will take focus off walls.

Always hang things about 2" lower than you think they should be. This is a common problem of things hung too high.

I realize I am "ditto-ing" something from 3 years ago but I completely agree! Pictures and wall hangings hung too high are my pet peeve. Everything should be at eye level or slightly below. I am 6' tall and I shouldn't have to look up when walking into someone's room/house. It looks really weird when there is a really small picture 4 feet above the couch or in this case, change table or crib!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search