Bedroom size?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM
mommyto05&07
I live in a two bedroom house with a loft. My daughter, as of now, has her own room. If this baby is a girl, they will share a room. If this baby is a boy, we are going to close in our loft and make it a bedroom. The only problem is my daughters room is huge, the same size as our master bedroom, it even has a huge walk in closet. The loft is about half that size and has a regular closet. I feel bad putting my baby into a small room and I am worried it will cause some problems with the two when they get older.

How can I make this fair? We have a garage and we will put a "work bench" in it for the baby to have extra room to keep stuff when older, and later can actually use it as a work bench or tool bench. But thats the only thing I have been able to come up with so far! How can I make it fair if the baby is a boy?
March 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
well how old is she? maybe by the time (if it's a boy) he's old enough to ask about why his sister has a bigger room, the answer can be because she's older...or you may have another girl and the two girls would have to share the bigger room, and he would have his own room.
March 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
My parents struggled with the same issue. There were four of us total (3 boys and me) and we had a four bedroom house. My parents had their room, I had mine, and there were two left to split between three boys. We are all two years apart so we are fairly close in age. One boy got his own room for a year. They determined who got their own room first by oldest to youngest. After a year the next oldest would get to move in. The two boys that had to share a room would get something special in their room - a computer, game console, tv, etc. The one that had their own room had to do a few more chores than the rest of us. Nothing major, but no one ever complained. It was never a big deal to move rooms because they all had the same beds, dressers, etc. Just move a few personal belongings.

It's hard if you have a girl and a boy. I suggest maybe letting the boy have something special in their room for having a smaller room. You know, a computer or a tv, or maybe even just some new toys?

Just some suggestions!

</div>
March 31st, 2007, 06:41 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think this is an issue you will have to worry about for years to come! I mean, even when the child is 3, 4, 5... I'm sure he isn't going to say "What does my sister have a bigger room?" And by them, you might not even be living in the same home.... heck, you might not even have to worry about it at all... he might never ask. I just wouldn't sweat it right now, you've got other things to worry about at this time.
April 8th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree if you have a girl - this won't be an issue at all because they can share a room and that will be that
If you have a boy and do the loft thing - just make it really fun - decorate it really cool and when you buy furniture for the smaller room consider the size of the room.
We live in a 4 bedroom house, so everyone will have their own bedroom, DSs is the biggest because he is the oldest and it is the room he picked when we built the house - I was still pregnant with dd.
And the 4th bedroom is the smallest - that is the going to be this babies room - so I have already thought about making sure when it comes time for big kid furniture that we get a bed with drawers underneath to save some space and so there won't be as much free standing furniture in the room

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search