Before you purchase your crib

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
dreemedayze's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to dreemedayze
This is a true story, and this happened to my daughter. I feel it is very important for me to spread the news as this will happen again. (as it has once before, but ended in a fatality) I have shared this on as many boards as I possibly can. I am newly pregnant again (just found out last week) and I want to share here too. There are just thousands of pregnant women that frequent these boards. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. We have hired a lawyer to take action against Simplicity.

Here is our story. I apologize for the C&P, but it is easier.

My son still sleeps with us, in our bed. This morning I felt him get out of bed and a minute later, he came running back to my room. "Mommy, sister stuck, sister hurt." I figured she had gotten her leg stuck in her crib slats again, as she has numerous times. So I rolled out of bed and headed to her room. I didn't hear her crying at all, so I assumed it was nothing major.

When I got into her room, I didn't see her in the crib. My first thought was "where is she?" Then I noticed the mattress was slightly raised towards the middle of the bed. I ran over there and pulled it up. The slats on the crib, that hold the mattress up, are metal.

My daughter was hanging, by her head, from the slats. Her arms were to her side and the bars were pressed on her neck, hanging her there. She was crying, but I could barely hear her because the mattress muffled her cries.

I reached down and after a little bit of maneauvering, I was able to finally push her head of the slats. Her face was beat red. She had bad red marks on her neck where the slats were holding her in place.

I hate to think of what would have happened if I hadn't gone in there this morning. What if Tanner (my son) hadn't come and got me. What if she had done it overnight?

I have no idea how she got underneath that mattress to begin with. I don't know how she was able to wedge herself under there.

But I will tell you this.. every. single. parent. has to check their cribs. We never in a million years thought this would happen to us.

We own a Simplicity crib that we purchased at walmart. There is currently a recall for a similar crib made by Simplicity, but it is NOT the same model we have.

I contacted the company and they ONLY offered to give us back the retail value of the crib. I am not going to accept this, because I want it recalled. I want ALL parents to know how unsafe their crib might be.

The news hotline was also contacted and they just left my house. They did a story on what happened and what Simplicity said. They acted as though I did something wrong and her hanging there was my fault.

Please please please, if you have a Simplicity crib, GET RID OF IT. Do not chance this. Your child's life is more precious than their stupid product will EVER be. If they put the story online, I will share the link.

Thank God for my son. Thank God for watching over my baby girl.

The crib we own looks similar to this. Only our crib has METAL slats that hold the mattress. It's a Simplicity Aspen 4-in-1. This is the one on the recall list that is NOT the same as ours. However, our crib is IDENTICAL to this. (only ours has metal, not wooden, support slats)

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Know what you are buying. Do your research.

In the particular crib above, it was recalled when two of the mattress support slats came out and the infant suffocated. You would think they would have gotten a clue after that and changed the crib in its entirety. Not just replace the wood with metal. The problem is still the same. The child can strangle themselves on the slats. Let our story be a lesson to you.

*Since writing this (around May 17th) we have contacted a lawyer and are in the process of going to trial. We have also received a refund check from Simplicity and a box from UPS to send the crib back in.*

Jamie

Due 09/07/09
May 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG, I had no idea and would have never thought that those slats would be such a danger!!! Thank goodness your child is alright!!

We just had our first child and our brand new crib has these slats but they are metal. I discussed this with my husband and we've decided we are placing a piece of plywood down under the mattress (we needed to put a smaller piece for our new monitor) but will extend it to the full length of the crib.
Thank you for sharing your story and educating others.

May 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
We are very lucky. Unfortunately, somewhere, someday, another child will not be. Unless the crib is recalled.

The slats on ours are metal too. But that is the only picture i could find that is exactly the same as the Aspen 4-in-1 which we own(ed). That was the old Aspen that was recalled, it had wooden slats. They "upgraded" it and changed the wood to metal. But it didn't solve the problem that a child could be strangulated on the slats.

Please be very careful with this crib. Putting down wood is a fantastic idea. Just be very careful when applying accessories to the crib. It can void the warranty, or make them not liable in the event of an accident.

Due 09/07/09
June 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I have this crib only in Graco my son has slept in it for 12 months. We have never had this problem but that freaks me out a little bit.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
June 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So scary!! The plywood is a great idea to solve the problem.
June 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Thank you for posting this ..... I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna repost this over on MySpace.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

June 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM
klfc28
My goodness!! Thank you for posting your horrific experience so others won't have the same happen to them.

I just checked out the crib we are getting, and am very happy that it doesn't have the slats. I can't put into words how to explain the bottom. But its small squares, if that makes sense......
June 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
OMG thank you so much for posting this! That is just awful i am so sorry you had to go through that! I just checked my crib which isnt simplicity but this scared the crap out of me! My crib's bottom is completly solid under the mattress, so i feel safer now! Thank you for letting others know and thank god for your little boy looking out for his sis! I hope this crib gets recalled please keep us up to date on the process. We will help in any way we can, if we need to petition simplicity im sure everyone will back you up.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
June 11th, 2007, 05:41 AM
jeepgirl9478's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG that is the crib we have. I think I will be talking my DH into putting down plywood before our next child uses it...thank god our son always ended up sleeping with us instead of his crib!
Thank you for sharing your story!!!!!!!!!

Thanks .hoodihoo.this. for the siggy!!
September 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
The crib has been recalled!

Due 09/07/09
September 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Mommy2Savvy's Avatar Regular
Thank god your DD is okay! That is SUCH a scary story. I hope that they can somehow make up for this. I have pulled their cribs from my site.

Samantha - Mommy to Savannah
November 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
After inspection of our crib and cross-referencing the model/serial numbers, our crib was NOT recalled. But a class action lawsuit has been brought against Simplicity. I highly recommend that if you own this crib you do one of two things..

1. Place the plywood SNUGLY against the bottom. However, by doing this, you may void the warranty on your crib.
2. Call Simplicty and demand a refund. They will send a box via UPS to send your crib back.

Jamie

Due 09/07/09
November 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Fallnights
How scary !! I don't want to buy a crib for this reason the crib my MIL bought my son a piece fell off and the side wouldnt stay up right so I just put him in bed with my now here we are 2 year's later and it was recalled !!!
November 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Lauren S's Avatar Mom to Brady and Hannah
How scary! Thank you so much for posting this for those of us who have yet to buy a crib. I now know what to look for.

I'm so glad your daughter was okay!
December 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
mrsdismang
That is so scary! I did a lot of research when deciding what kind of crib to buy and was originally going to go with a Simplicity but when I saw all the recalls on their website I decided to find a crib from a company that doesn't have a terrible reputation. Simplicity also makes Graco cribs as well. Delta I found had tons of recalls also.
December 11th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
omg that is just so scary..Wow i am so freaked out.
Thank you so much for posting this and THANK GOD your daughter is ok!!
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
December 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Thanks for the warning!! Thank goodness your baby girl is ok!! ANd i'm glad they recalled it!!!

(the crib we have doesn't have the slats, it's a solid heavy piece of wood!)

January 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Bumping this for new mommies.

It turns out our crib was NOT recalled. (which infuriates me) However, they have had numerous new recalls since this was posted.

Due 09/07/09
January 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Lovin'_My_Boys's Avatar Momma to Landon & Nolan
I will never by a crib from Simplicity! My MIL bought us a bassinet for my son, he HATED it and never once slept in it. My SIL had a baby so we let her use it, her son wouldn't sleep in it either. A few months ago I was going through a national recall website and saw that was recalled. We took it back to walmart (without a receipt or box) and they gave us walmart credit for it. Both babies must have sensed it was a bad bassinet. (A few babies had actually died from it I believe). I also saw our crib was recalled! We had a Jardin crib from babiesRus. We contacted them and they sent us a package to send out crib back. Within a week we received a check for the full amount. Luckily my son is in a toddler bed now, and neither of his recalled bed hurt him. We are going to be doing some research on what crib we want to buy next!!
Glad your son got up and checked on his little sister! What an awesome big brother!!

*Formally known as 'Landon's Mommy'
January 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
wow that is very scary! thanks for posting and i am glad your daughter is ok!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search