painted letters

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
For those that have done the painted letters for the walls, were the letters unfinished wood first? I bought some letters at Michael's that are already painted white and I'm just wondering how well this is going to work because I kind of don't like how the first letter is coming out. I'm using regular craft paint so I'm thinking it's cuz it's already finished. Also what size did you buy? I think mine might end up being a little small. TIA.
October 20th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Just sand the white paint off and repaint them with acrylic paint. You should probably put a clear shiney coat over them when they're dry too. If they seem too small hang them from ribbon and it'll make them seem larger.

Hope that helps.
October 21st, 2007, 07:39 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've done this for two of my cousin's. I also bought the pre-painted white letters. With the first set of letters I made, I used arcylic paint and hand painted them, in my honest opinion, that was a huge waste of time and a pain in the butt. I used spray paint on the second set of letters and finishing them went by a lot faster.

Hand painting them took me about 9-10 coats to get the smooth look. With the spray paint, I propped the letters up on two pieces of wood, sprayed each side maybe 3 times, letting it air dry 20 minutes between sprays and I got the smooth look and texture as well. Of course, I did this outside on the back deck.

I also added little stickers as well, I got those at Michael's too, along with the finishing spray, which had a glitter finish to it.

Here's the letters I painted by hand:

And on her wall:

Hope this helps!!!

October 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
For my daughter's nursery, I bought the ones that were already pre-painted white. We just used spray paint. We wanted one solid color for all the letters and didn't decorate any further. It's nearly 1 1/2 years later and they still look great. (I only put 2 coats on.)
October 24th, 2007, 05:07 AM
BaaBaaBlankies's Avatar Regular
I recently saw some really big unfinished letters at joAnn's. They had to be at least 8" tall.
October 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Skrina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The ones at Michael's are pre-painted MDF so if you want the paint to stick well and not have to do a million coats you have to sand them a bit, then prime them with a white acrylic paint. Or spray paint them like the other ladies said.

Devyn Louise~May 22, 2008~~Reid August~Oct 13, 2006

November 13th, 2007, 08:52 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just got the letters from Michaels and spray painted them, as other people did, and turned out REALLY well! All we have left to do is paint some flowers on them and do the ribbon. Then, I will post pics!

November 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Whoohoo pics!

November 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here are my letters, bought the letters at Michael's, spray painted the background color, used the acrylic paint for the flowers. I still need to add ribbon.

November 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Here are my letters, bought the letters at Michael's, spray painted the background color, used the acrylic paint for the flowers. I still need to add ribbon.

[/b]
I loveeeeeeee the way the letters look!!!!! Those flowers add such a cute touch to them!!!

Love the names you have picked for your twin girls!!!! Congrats on expecting two lil girls!!!

November 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM
mrs_turner's Avatar Super Mommy
here are Ryleigh's letters.. DH and I bought them - unpainted - from Wal-mart for $1.68 each and we painted them with regular old craft paint to match her POOH bedding!

November 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Quote:
here are Ryleigh's letters.. DH and I bought them - unpainted - from Wal-mart for $1.68 each and we painted them with regular old craft paint to match her POOH bedding!

[/b]

very well made...lools very nice

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search