need color advice for nursery walls

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my son is 11 months old and ready to move into his own room. We just found out we are having another boy so I'm excited to set things up so two boys can eventually share the space. Ive picked a "space" theme and had a friend make a quilt. I need to decide on a wall color for the room but would like some opinions. Here's the panel of fabric that I am using to draw my color pallet

I have a dresser that I am planning on painting red and a very large piece of graphic art depicting a rocket launch - it's over 5 1/2 ft tall

The crib is a dark finish too so I was thinking of picking up on either the yellow or the green in the fabric as my wall color to keep things from being to dark.

here is what the quilt looks like pieced together (you cant see if but the boarder of the quilt is the same red corduroy as the red patches). The polka dots also have similar green and yellows. I plan on using the quilt as either part of the window treatment or as a wall hanging.

What color would you use for the walls if working with this fabric?

January 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seeing as you're having another boy (CONGRATULATIONS, by the way!!! ) I'd paint the room two different colours. Red and Blue. Red on two walls, the opposite of eachother and Blue on the other two walls. You could even do Green and Blue, since your chest of drawers are going to be red.

I'd suggest green and yellow, but, you're going to be sharing the room with two boys, and I think green and yellow are more neutral colours.

Good luck!!! And don't forget to come back and show us what the end result looks like!!

January 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
This is a hard one, I know what you mean about not wanting the room too dark, but I don't think yellow or green are space colors. Space is black, but black would probably be out of the question and too dark even though I bet black would look really cool. So I say a dark navy blue. The fabric is bright and colorful enough to brighten the room frrom the curtains and bedding...along with the dark furniture and dark navy would be close to black and be more representative to what space is like. I wouldn't pain the walls red if you're going to have a red changer. I think it'd get lost.

Another suggestion, is if you don't have them already get those glow in the dark star/space wall stickers and put them on the ceiling to repesent the stars and planets, lil kids LOVE to look at those at night. I bet you can find them for cheap off ebay.

Hope this gives you ideas, these are my ideas. Good luck! Would love to see the finished room!

January 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd paint the walls two colors. Bottom half red, top half the blue. Divide the two colors with a white stripe or chair rail molding. Or, if you can get your hands on more of the fabric, make your own border with it and use starch to paste it up.

Pounds Lost Before Our Second Miracle: 57

January 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I would go with either a yellow. or do the navy blue thing and put up the glow stars. or paint stars to make theroom seem brighter.

Heres my sons room, his wall is a dark dark blue. and I painted stars as a border and it made the blue appear alot lighter.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 25th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Your pattern is already very busy, I'd stay away from using two colors on the walls. I'd go with green, if there's a light shade you can use.
January 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3's Avatar Leslie ~ 2 boys ~ 1 girl
I would go with yellow to bring out a different color.
January 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I think yellow would be a great color, but again it is not a very outer space color, but it would look adorable with the quilt you had made.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search