Religulous

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Has anyone else seen this movie? If so, what did you think about it? I thought it was really good - interesting. I think Bill Maher made a lot of good points. The unfortunate thing is that I highly doubt many religious folks will actually watch this movie. I wish more people would, even if it helps people question their beliefs and why they have them.
July 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I loved it! I have a few favorite quotes I'll have to dig up later, but I really enjoyed watching it. I do agree that it is sad not that many people will watch it though. I think anyone secure enough in their beliefs would find the humor from watching it.

July 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I saw it and liked it. I recommended it to my folks but my mom said it was not for her. I saw Maher on the oscars I think, I hate award shows but I was flipping back to the show during commercials and he was presenting documentaries and mentioned his and said he was not nominated because religion is not something that people wanted to talk about or something like that. And that has been my experience, it's ok to talk about as long as you agree with the religious person and don't question anything. I loved his quoted about how people can be so intelligent during everyday life but then still believe in something they can't prove, anyone have the exact quote? I also love his comment about santa claus, now I will have to go look for those quotes Now I am going to watch the movie again!

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

July 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
christy1108's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
I loved it! I have a few favorite quotes I'll have to dig up later, but I really enjoyed watching it. I do agree that it is sad not that many people will watch it though. I think anyone secure enough in their beliefs would find the humor from watching it.

July 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't remember the exact quote about otherwise rational people believing in god, but here's the santa claus quote (at least the one I think you're talking about. It was also one of my favorite lines)

"One man flying all around the world and dropping presents down the chimney, that's ridiculous! But one man hearing everybody murmur to him at the same time, THAT I get."
January 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
hippygypsy's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm diggin this one up! I'm watching right now (not my first time) but I love it. The points that are made in this, especially the other deities from other countries and other religions that have the exact same story of their saviour (Jesus)...how can you refute that!? Its a great film.
January 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Hate to say it, but I've never even heard of it. Gonna have to download it when I have hard drive space.
January 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
I love this movie!! I am a huge fan of Bill Maher and wish more people would really listen to what he says and stop freaking out about how opinionated he is. Many don't like him because he is pushy about his way of thinking, because he isn't afraid of the opinions of others.

I love his show Real Time and have almost all of his movies on DVD. He is smart and funny and not afraid of how others think of him.

Sadly, he is in that position where he doesn't have to care what others think. I am stuck in small town Iowa therefore I have to care what others think because otherwise, life would be worse than it already is. So I just deal with it and don't put myself out there because of how others would react, not just to me, but to my kids as well.
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
I LOVE Religulous, and I LOVE Bill Maher. He does make some awesome points, and I love all of his interviews in the documentary where he's point blank calling religious leaders on their BS, and they just talk in circles, stutter, or ask him to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
Hate to say it, but I've never even heard of it. Gonna have to download it when I have hard drive space.
It's on Youtube in entirety.

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown
January 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I think Netflix may have it on instant view or whatever but I'm not sure.

January 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrely View Post
I LOVE Religulous, and I LOVE Bill Maher. He does make some awesome points, and I love all of his interviews in the documentary where he's point blank calling religious leaders on their BS, and they just talk in circles, stutter, or ask him to leave.

It's on Youtube in entirety.
The absolute BEST moment that has me in complete stitches every time I see it, is when he's interviewing some southern senator (Arkansas I think) and he says, "You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate, heh heh.".... crickets.... And the look on Bill Maher's face is PRICELESS. I like the Jewish rabbi that gets all bent out of shape too and says "Let me finish" every two seconds.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search