Atheist Facebook Musings

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That whole fundie family I know is all pissed off about it. I wonder if Jesus will pull those giant sticks out of their butts at the pearly gates? Boo freaking hoo, I just don't care anymore. That one guy shouldn't have got in my face about religion 'cause when I feel pushed, I push back and he just sort of stuck a stick in a wasp nest when he did that!
April 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
I LOVE this post. It's great! I'm not a Facebooker but I have a friend that is constanly remarking on one of our mutual friends "God is Glorious" status updates. She ge's pretty peeved.

For me, it's not that I'm not gutsy enough to go full throttle on the Athiest rant, I just don't have the enery to *try* to rationalize with people. I love a good heated God discussion (especially if I get to gave a few glasses of beer to fuel my intensity) but in the end I am not offended. The Theists are.

I will say that having a baby on the way has definitely brought many issues to the surface (Christmas, Easter, Praying in general) and she isn't even here yet!
April 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
LOL the fundie a-hole I've referenced many times here finally deleted me from facebook... not because of me offending his religion, but because I defend GLBT rights that he's sick of hearing about. Yeah, dem pesky gays and their rights gettin in da way of mah church-goin! How about that for dumb backwood hick? LMAO

GOOD RIDDANCE, SERIOUSLY!!!!
April 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
What I find really strange about the whole thing, is the guy had a gay uncle who died of AIDS complications, and though I'm done talking to him and his closed mind, I really want to ask him a couple of questions about it... If he believes so strongly in the bible and everything that Christianity feeds him, does he then believe that his uncle is currently burning in hell for all eternity? If yes, what a nice nephew he is! If the answer is no, then I'd want to know what he thinks happened to his uncle's soul. Did he somehow get into heaven anyway? Is he wandering through purgatory? Is he currently turning in his grave at what an insensitive bigot his nephew has become? In a way I can understand caring less about a community if you don't have anyone close to you in that community where you can witness firsthand the injustices being dealt to them, but he did have someone close to him that was negatively affected by attitudes like his, so how he can be such a sh-wad about it confuses me.

I would also like to know what would happen if his baby girl turned out to be a lesbian. Would he change his tune, shut her out, or send her off to one of those awful camps to be "cured"? I genuinely feel sorry for that baby because she will more than likely grow up to be a little bible thumping bigot just like she is taught, and will no doubt think herself and her parents righteous Christians for it. If indoctrination isn't a perfect hate machine, I don't know what is.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I found a hilarious facebook group last night... "God hates shrimp" It's making fun of the WBC's anti-gay slogan of course, and it points out that if homosexuals are to be treated as evil then they must boycott all shellfish because the bible VERY clearly states that shellfish is an abomination. (Leviticus 11:9-12, oh what's up an atheist can memorize bible verses too, ha!) I don't get why people think they can pick and choose which bits of the bible to follow. If it's the word of god, I would think they are required to follow ALL of it. Hypocrites!

Last edited by Zanahoria; April 8th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
April 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
^^ He would probably say that if his Uncle repented for his "sins" then he went to heaven. If he didn't, then yes, he would spend eternity in hell. I don't understand a religion that sends good people who just so happen to not believe in a deity to a fiery, torture filled afterlife. Bah.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
April 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Muahaha.. love it. If I feel tortured by the Jesus Freaks, I might talk about O Imaginary God in the status updates.

I'd almost feel bad since I actually have some nice churchies on my list, but said nice churchies are fully aware of my lack of their god.
May 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
UPDATE: I have lost a friend! I don't know when it happened, so I don't know if it had anything to do with my status updates, but it's a member of my PR who is really religious... *snicker* Love it.
May 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
You ladies are so funny.

Mads! I love your blinkie avatar. What a great avatar.
May 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
UPDATE: I have lost a friend! I don't know when it happened, so I don't know if it had anything to do with my status updates, but it's a member of my PR who is really religious... *snicker* Love it.
I lost a friend sometime in the last week or so, but I can't figure out for sure who it even was! LOL
May 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Veteran
I'm new here--but saw this board and thought it would be a great place to jump in!

My 'first' found me on facebook about a year ago. He is such a god freak it makes my head hurt. I look at pictures of him, and think about the things we used to do--and HA! Whatever.

Also, my husband's family is all from the south (not that all Southern people are necessarily Christian), and they all friended me on facebook. They all hate our president and post nasty, rude, mocked up photos of him. But I just ignore it because they're all entitled to their opinions. Well, over time the wife of one of my husband's cousins (got that?) wrote something about messing up her phone. I told her it was time to get an iPhone.

Her classy as all get out husband said, "iPhones are for ***s." (deleted word is a derogatory f word referring to homosexual men)

What followed was a long litany of me, the former devout Christian, explaining his own religion to him, and explaining that perhaps going to church on Sunday, but then speaking that way in front of his children wasn't the best way to get his kid to love him for life--that they would think him a hypocrite, or worse, turn out just like their closed minded father. I encouraged him to maybe speak with his clergy person (mostly in hopes that it would discourage him from being a racist, genderist, idiot in front of his kids). He asserted that he didn't need to go to church to be a Christian. I explained that if he couldn't read, comprehend, and get the Bible (which, based on his posts, I say he's got a reading level of a 3rd grader) then he couldn't just go on sinning (according to his religion) just because he was cleansed in some water.

Then, every single member of my husband's family unfriended me!

AWESOME!

Last edited by 2kids2cats1dog; May 20th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.
May 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I lost a facebook friend recently too. She twice had posted that fake Amber Alert notice that goes around. Both times I checked the real amber alerts and told her what she posted was not real. Then she posted a link to a Diamond Rio video (some song about America under god.) Saying that it was banned from the radio because it wasn't PC. I looked it up. Originally it was only played at concerts, never released, so the radios didn't have access to play it. Then when it was later released in 2006 on a greatest hits CD, it lost out to "Jesus take the Wheel" and "American Soldier" (among other songs.) So it wasn't played much. I also posted the Snopes link that contained a very detailed description of all that info and more.

She then told be she knew our beliefs were different, but she felt the country needed to hear that song. I told her that beliefs aside, the song was never banned and I though she would like to know that since she liked the song. Even tried to explain why I had said anything. Giving examples of things I had posted that weren't true, was corrected on, and recanted. And that I research anything I repost now because of that.

She told me that she didn't appreciate me arguing with her. That what she said was true because the radios wouldn't play it because it wasn't released. And that if I didn't like what she posted that she didn't want me to comment on her stuff anymore. Then she unfriended me before I could respond again.

The only thing about the unfriending that really bothered me (because I was debating hiding or unfriending before I realized she had) was that someone else commented on the post. I got a notice that they had commented, but I couldn't read it because I was no longer her "friend." I am sure they just posted something along the lines of they loved the song, but I am still curious.

May 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2cats1dog View Post
I'm new here--but saw this board and thought it would be a great place to jump in!

My 'first' found me on facebook about a year ago. He is such a god freak it makes my head hurt. I look at pictures of him, and think about the things we used to do--and HA! Whatever.

Also, my husband's family is all from the south (not that all Southern people are necessarily Christian), and they all friended me on facebook. They all hate our president and post nasty, rude, mocked up photos of him. But I just ignore it because they're all entitled to their opinions. Well, over time the wife of one of my husband's cousins (got that?) wrote something about messing up her phone. I told her it was time to get an iPhone.

Her classy as all get out husband said, "iPhones are for ***s." (deleted word is a derogatory f word referring to homosexual men)

What followed was a long litany of me, the former devout Christian, explaining his own religion to him, and explaining that perhaps going to church on Sunday, but then speaking that way in front of his children wasn't the best way to get his kid to love him for life--that they would think him a hypocrite, or worse, turn out just like their closed minded father. I encouraged him to maybe speak with his clergy person (mostly in hopes that it would discourage him from being a racist, genderist, idiot in front of his kids). He asserted that he didn't need to go to church to be a Christian. I explained that if he couldn't read, comprehend, and get the Bible (which, based on his posts, I say he's got a reading level of a 3rd grader) then he couldn't just go on sinning (according to his religion) just because he was cleansed in some water.

Then, every single member of my husband's family unfriended me!

AWESOME!
Wow, good riddance! I probably would have beat them to the unfriending, lol. Welcome to the board by the way! I love this place!
May 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I love this thread. The ignorance of some people is absolutely incredible.
May 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Velveeta's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Velveeta
This is a great thread. I didn't even think about it when I added Atheist to my facebook profile, but now I am friends with both my and DH's super religious extended families. No one has said anything yet....

June 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
love this thread!
June 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Veteran
I just made this my status:

"Our new puppy needs a name! We are thinking Sirius, Mo, Soren... and I'm adding Darwin to the list as of right now!"

if I talk about my new dog as often as I talk about my kids, I'll be typing that a LOT: "I live Darwin so much! He's so smart and wonderful!"

Bwahahaha!
June 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Found this joke on FB, thought it was hilarious

Clever blonde:
A blonde, brunette, and redhead went to a church to donate money. The brunette draws a circle around her and throws up all her money.

She says that whatever lands inside the circle is for God, and whatever lands outside of the circle she keeps.

The redhead then draws a line, stands on it, and throws up all of her money. She said that whatever lands on the right side of the line is for God, and whatever lands on the left side she keeps.

The blonde throws up her money, and yells,"God, whatever you catch is yours, and whatever you don't I get to keep."

June 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FB status:
Check this out. I went to a Dr today, and he was rushed to leave to get to another appointment and he wanted a payment. We ran down to truck to write him a check. Well I dropped my bluetooth headset in the parking lot and when I returned 30 minutes later it was still there and not crushed or missing. Ain't God GREAT!!!!!!!

ok........will not respond with a smart *** remark

June 25th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Yeah, because God loved your bluetooth headset so much he decided to save it and dump oil in the f'in Gulf coast. /end sarcasm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search