Atheist Facebook Musings

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I have this friend on Facebook who ends every post with a "God is awesome!" or "God is good!" type statement. The posts are rarely in the context of how God is good like: "I am so blessed to have a great husband, three wonderful kids, a nice house, working cars, and good health for all. God is good!" They are more often just like: "Wanted to play in the snow with the kids, but the rain came and washed it all away. I spent three hours cooking a nice dinner and got the house all cleaned up instead. God is good!" or "Woke up with a cold today. My nose is plugged up and running like a waterfall. God is awesome!" What does God being good have to do with you working to make a dinner and clean the house or you having a cold?

I would love to do the same thing on my Facebook. "Spent six hours packing today and on the way to Buffalo now. God is imaginary." "Lucius is babbling to himself in the mirror right now. God is imaginary."

The big difference between the two is that I see other people write about how good God is and I just laugh about it and move on. If I were to write that God is imaginary in my Facebook, I'd most likely be defriended by at least eighty percent of my Facebook friends. Us atheists are more tolerant to theistic religions than they are to atheists.

~cheezpoofs out
God is imaginary.

February 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I'd just like to take this time to say: I love you. It irritates me to no end that people insist on thanking/praising/singing to/dancing about/etc GOD. In fact, if you don't mind, I'm going to experiment. I'm gonna make up a totally pointless FB status and end it with God is imaginary, and we'll see if my friend count drops. Can't wait!

ETA: current friend count (so I can keep track... I'm really forgetful) is 191. I will check it again in 24 hours.

Last edited by Jenna; February 24th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
February 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm interested in seeing how this ends up! I would love to put something like that on my facebook, but I use it for networking with people for work, and that type of thing scares off a lot of folks. Ridiculous, really, but... I stay quiet about it because I'm lame, I guess. I envy your forwardness!

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

February 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
I'd just like to take this time to say: I love you. It irritates me to no end that people insist on thanking/praising/singing to/dancing about/etc GOD. In fact, if you don't mind, I'm going to experiment. I'm gonna make up a totally pointless FB status and end it with God is imaginary, and we'll see if my friend count drops. Can't wait!

ETA: current friend count (so I can keep track... I'm really forgetful) is 191. I will check it again in 24 hours.
Interesting! I also am impressed with your forwardness! I am looking forward to seeing how your experiment turns out!

I guess I am too worried about offending my "friends" who would be offended by such a comment. Not sure why... I probably don't like them enough to care if they are my friends or not...

February 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Friend count is up to 193. One of them is Melissa but I have no idea who the other one is. Count's not going down!
February 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Natalie_Snow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How interesting! I read my DH's FB page and there are several girls that always write something about God. I wish I could experiment on his page lol. Gotta be tolerant! I have only a few friends and I think they wouldn't really care about any atheist statement from me.
February 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Jenna. I should add you too. That's freaking HILARIOUS. You crack me up.

I agree btw, about the god comments. I get tired of them to no end. But, I also have a few VERY outspoken atheist friends and I LOVE reading their statuses. Too bad I'm not gutsy enough to do the same.
February 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Feel free to add me! Facebook dot com slash monkeyfeathers
February 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate how its ok for religious people to express their beliefs, and when an athiest does, its a big no no. Double standard.

I dont really see any status's about god on my FB. Maybe someone should do a status like "our economy is down, countless people have lost their jobs, their cars, their homes, the country's deficit has skyrocketed, this recession sucks. God is good!"

February 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalia20 View Post
"our economy is down, countless people have lost their jobs, their cars, their homes, the country's deficit has skyrocketed, this recession sucks. God is good!"
WIN!
February 25th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Jenna, your outspoken bravery has inspired me. If I cannot speak my mind freely on my own Facebook, then why bother having one? I too have joined the fray and am nothing if not courageous and brazen. I put a status and ended it with "God is imaginary."

I had ninety-six friends beforehand. We shall see what happens. I will update in this thread if anything does.

February 25th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, facebook godishy crap... Recently a friend posted "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." To which I replied, "True, but it's also not evidence of existence." Well it turned out the original post wasn't even about religion, buy the poster's brother (who is also one of DH's best friends) sent me this angry message asking why i'm so anti-god, why am I so against creationists, why am I looking for a debate, and if I'm really just wanting someone to open my eyes. Ugh... I wanted to go the F off on him so bad, but I would like to remain friends with his wife and also not destroy his and DH's friendship so I majorly bit my tongue and just told him that I'm not anti-god so much ad pro-rational thought (guess he was too dumb to catch the dig at his intelligence) and that I am free to believe whatever the hell I want just as creationists are but *I* wasn't the one making ambiguously religious posts to begin with. He will forever be a fundie [bag of vinegar used for cleaning out the vagina] in my mind though.

I just love how people can be all pro-god all over the place but as soon as someone voices their differing opinion, people totally lose their sht and freak out. I have too many fundies on my facebook, my list would be half empty overnight if I posted god is imaginary. I do however, occasionally post quotes that aren't necessarily about religion but can be taken as such, just to screw with them. I love quoting the book 1984 for this purpose. In fact, I haven't in a while, I need to go update now!

My fb is /evilcarrot if anyone wants to add me. Just let me know your JM name so I know who you are, hehe

Last edited by Zanahoria; February 25th, 2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Yes, let's add even MORE words to the swear filter because our virgin eyes can't handle grown up words!!! /epic eyeroll
February 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Awesome! A trend has been born!
I'm up to 194 friends, by the way.
And, to test out the swearword filter... I'm pretty sure we can say "douche", just can't end it with "bag".
February 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm finding a lot of evil carrots....

ANYway: I love how you've been using "God is imaginary!" to end all of your status updates, Jenna! I also love how your friends are all wondering what's up. It's hilarious!

I may have to end all of my status updates that way. Or maybe just a random one here and there. Not sure yet.

February 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM
So now I'm up to 197 friends, 'cause you're all on my friends list now. I don't think I've lost anyone... Yet. Maybe it's time to step it up a little. I need to think of something else.
March 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So funny. DH is big about atheist posts on his FB. I don't think he has lost any friends because of it. I actually think he has added a few fundies because they all want to save him. LOL I don't post much atheist stuff because of my grandparents. I feel like I had a good reason about it hurting them, but the more angry of an atheist I become the less that matters as much because I feel they should tolerate and respect my beliefs as much as I do theirs.

We have found a local atheist group (well humanist group, but we just decided on that name since it is more PC) so I see posts from those "friends" and they brighten my day. I have also become a fan of "Giving up ancient religious superstitions for LENT" The videos they post are hilarious. I really need to get on JM more often.

March 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
yes you do we miss you!

March 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiex2 View Post
This thread cracked me up!

I have had too many FB fights on my page to post something that I KNOW is going to make people get all stupid. I love some of my friends despite the fact that they use religion as a crutch to not think for themselves. We just don't talk about it . Avoidance!
I totally agree and I do the same thing. I just avoid the conversations involving politics or religion because they never resolve anything. It always ends up in a fight or agreeing to disagree. Why bother?

March 8th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I love it. I deleted an old HS friend because he was driving me crazy by talking about God or quoting scriptures in every post (and he post a LOT). He re added me a few months later. I accepted him, but I set it where his post do not appear in my feed).

I don't have the guts to flat out admit that I am atheist on fb. I wouldn't hear the end of it from my family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search