Child abuse=Miracle?!?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran
I am a 20/20,48 Hours, Dateline junkie. If I see there is one on, I dvr it to watch without commercials. Last nighti watched one about Shawn Hornsby-- a kid who was kidnapped and held captive by a pedofile for well over four years. After that point, the guy got bored and snatched another kid. Within a few days, witnesses to the second kidnapping were able to lead the getting back both kids--but not until the guy had already managed to mess with the second kid.

The whole story is sickening and you feel awful for the families. The kid seems to have kept a wonderful spirit and was able to kind of recover--socially, educationally, etc. He cites his faith in his family for getting him through. I was touched.

During the story, though, there were shots of churches with "Praise God for bringing them home!" and other such sentiments. At the end of the piece the mother says something about his return being a true miracle.

***?! Where was God when that boy was being held against his will, screwed with emotionally, and raped repeatedly? What about having another kid kidnapped and primed for the same treatment--what about that is a miracle?!

Was God simply perusing the list of horrible things that happened one day when he wasn't paying attention--then said, "Oh crap! Let me wrestle up another kid who could stand a little innocence destruction--and make sure some guy sees the weird truck. Then--it'll be a day-yum mur-a-cull, and people won't think twice that it happened on my watch."
August 16th, 2010, 09:47 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Oh yes just like National disaster=sign of the apocolypse

Religious nuts really get on my nerves with all this stuff.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

August 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wildfire37's Avatar Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfire37
Ugh. You're right. Nothing about that is a miracle at all. I mean it's great that the kid was found, but I don't think I would credit that to the "all-powerful" dude who was apparently over four years late with his "miracle".

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the great sig!

August 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
Oh yes just like National disaster=sign of the apocolypse

Religious nuts really get on my nerves with all this stuff.
Ugh, I know!

My mother is not religious--has never lived by a single tenant of the Bible, but still believes there is a God.

Why?

Well, because when I was 5 years old, she let my 7 year old sister and me cross a street and walk a block away to the park. When we were coming back, I ran in the street and was hit by a car. I was in the hospital for 10 days with a skull fracture and physical therapy.

She believes in God--and while she listens to my frustrations about stories like this-- she believes there is a god because I SURVIVED that accident.

Ummm--why the hell should you be happy that a being allowed your child to suffer like that, a higher power that allowed you to almost lose a child when you had a 6 week old baby, no husband, and a were on welfare. Why, oh why, would you believe that someone would do any of that to you--but then LET your child live?

It just doesn't make an ounce of sense!
August 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
It's completely illogical but I guess that's hard to see when you have a veil over your face.

August 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
It's completely illogical but I guess that's hard to see when you have a veil over your face.
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search