Home schooling?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Wildfire37's Avatar Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfire37
Does anyone here home school their children? I know it's a LONG way off before I have to come to a decision, but I'm really not happy with the public schools in my area, and there aren't any private schools that aren't religion-based.
Right now Cadence's dad is completely against it and says that she won't get any social interaction, but I doubt that home schooling is going to cut her off from all other kids completely. There are plenty of other ways for her to make friends.
Anyway, I can't decide just yet. But can anyone who home schools or is planning to home school help me with some convincing arguments for it?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the great sig!

August 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran
We considered home schooling. We decided not to do it, though. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just to say that up front. Our reasoning for doing school was that we didn't want our kids to grow up completely sheltered from the world--well, the parts of the world we don't like, anyway. Our oldest daughter has come home with some random religion stuff from a nonreligious public school (from her friends, not curriculum). That being said, each little event gave us an opportunity to approach each topic individually--instead of raising her with no inclination that religion existed. To me, raising them atheist while being unaware of religion--then sending them out into the world to have one person try to save them--would be scarier than helping then to understand what others believe a little at a time.

Of course our school is a top rated public Full Spanish Immersion program--and I may have been swayed by the program itself.

Please excuse typos as most of my posts are made on my iPhone while nursing my toddler. Yup--I practice self weaning.

August 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Wildfire37's Avatar Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfire37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2cats1dog View Post
We considered home schooling. We decided not to do it, though. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just to say that up front. Our reasoning for doing school was that we didn't want our kids to grow up completely sheltered from the world--well, the parts of the world we don't like, anyway. Our oldest daughter has come home with some random religion stuff from a nonreligious public school (from her friends, not curriculum). That being said, each little event gave us an opportunity to approach each topic individually--instead of raising her with no inclination that religion existed. To me, raising them atheist while being unaware of religion--then sending them out into the world to have one person try to save them--would be scarier than helping then to understand what others believe a little at a time.

Of course our school is a top rated public Full Spanish Immersion program--and I may have been swayed by the program itself.
That makes sense. It's so hard for me to decide right now. The public schools where I live are not what they should be. Of course we have talked about moving in a few years, so maybe we would move to a place with more opportunities for her and better schools.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the great sig!

August 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
We will be homeschooling, but not because of religion in schools. The school district we live in right now SUCKS. DH is almost done with school and will hopefully have a high paying job so that within a few years we can afford private school or move. If homeschooling goes REALLY great, we will continue it. I am definitely concerned with reactions from students who find out we are atheists but like the above poster we plan on using those as opportunities to teach her about tolerance and religion.
Depending on where you live, there are tons of homeschooling groups you can join to fill in any socialization gaps you may be concerned about. We plan on doing a lot of field trips, outside studies, playdates, volunteer work, etc to interact with others. Socialization is one of my least concerns to be honest. I have been going over curriculum styles the past few months and trying to find one that sounds good for us... or whether I should ditch a set curriculum and make my own plan.
It's a really personal decision and it's something we've been talking about since we had Kaley. I love the idea of it and sometimes I feel a bit intimidated by it, but overall I think it will be a great fit for our family. But we live in a really large city and there are a lot of support groups around here. If we didn't have that, we might consider other options... Anyways, here's a quickie of some good reasons to HS if you are still interested.
55 Reasons to Homeschool

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search