Log In Sign Up

Muslim community center near Ground Zero in NYC


Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 26th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,718
I'm really not trying to start a debate. I'm just looking for opinions from people who don't believe in God, since religious folks seem to have a serious bias against this community center going up.
What do you think about this community center being put in near the site of the WTC bombing? Do you think it's unfair/rude/unfeeling/sadistic/cruel/whatever to the people whose friends and family members died in the attack? Do you think that the city and state government are encouraging enmity between religions?
__________________
******
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
To me, it's a bit uncaring towards the families that lost loved ones. I lost family that day, not close knit family, but it was still family none the less. It bothers me that they are not willing to move to another location.

As for the city and state, I'm not sure what they're pushing for. So far all I've heard is that they would like for them to look at other locations but that they have the right to be there. My legal side says they do have the right, but my emotional side wants to tell them to f off and go elsewhere.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 19,171
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I have absolutely no problems with it what so ever. We lost Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I'm sure there were some people of other religions and atheists too. I don't think it's insensitive or cruel at all. I 100% support their right to build it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
August 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
I have absolutely no problems with it what so ever. We lost Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I'm sure there were some people of other religions and atheists too. I don't think it's insensitive or cruel at all. I 100% support their right to build it.
I feel the same.
__________________
Im Sarah (39), wife to Chris (40), mom to three boys (age 0, 3 and 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
August 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wildfire37's Avatar Regular
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfire37
I don't have any problem with it. I just hate how everyone is blowing it out of proportion.
haha, I saw this picture the other day.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the great sig!

Reply With Quote
  #6  
August 26th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,718
I like that picture a lot.
Another one is this blog entry from a man who went and took photos of other things happening within two blocks of Ground Zero.
I think it's absolute bullcrap that people are getting so up in arms about this. For the tiny percentage of Muslims who are considered extremists, we make the overwhelming majority of Muslims suffer. This community center (it's not even a MOSQUE, for crying out loud!) is going to be two blocks away from the site where the WTC used to be, not RIGHT AT ground zero like so many news outlets are making it out to be.


And then there's the folks who don't want a building "funded by terrorism" because Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal had given the center money. Thank you, FOX News, for spreading a bunch of complete crap about an otherwise pretty nice guy! He's not a terrorist. He's your boss. And he's got ties to DOZENS of major corporations in the United States, so all these people who hate him better turn off Fox, 20th Century/Fox/Searchlight movies, better put down the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal, stop going to Disney World, stop eating at McDonald's, give back their Motorola cell phones, trade in their Fords, put down their Pepsi and Coke, stop using eBay and Amazon and MYSPACE on their Compaq and Apple computers, cancel their Time Warner cable service, and throw away any books published by HarperCollins. And OH WAIT is that a Pampers diaper on their kid's behind? Oops, he's invested in Proctor & Gamble, so they'll need to stop buying those diapers. And Dawn dish detergent. And Tide laundry detergent. And Bounty paper towels. And Duracell batteries, Crest toothpaste, Old Spice/Olay/Gillette products, ET CETERA. Otherwise they'll be helping to fund terrorism, since Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal makes money on his investments every time these products are used. And lord knows, he'd rather give $20 million to fund terrorism than donate it to, say, Harvard College.
__________________
******
Reply With Quote
  #7  
August 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 19,171
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Great post ^
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
August 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 4,418
LOL well said Jenna.

I guess I support their right to build it where ever they wish, but I don't support the ideals of Islam one eensy-weensy bit. Look up "Sharia Law" if you wish to know why. I dislike all religions, but I think I like Islam a little bit less than the rest of them (and that has nothing at all to do with 9/11). But whatever, they're Americans too, so they have the right to build it.

When people say that two blocks away is "too close", it's funny to ask them to state at precisely what distance would be okay and then watch them realize how stupid what they're saying sounds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
August 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,718
Yikes. I was just sitting on the couch, zoning, and thought about what I'd written... YIKES. Went a little ranty there. Sorry. Trying to keep the rantiness to myself (quitting smoking, so it's been happening a lot lately). Meant what I said, but perhaps I would've said it a little more nicely.
__________________
******
Reply With Quote
  #10  
August 26th, 2010, 11:00 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: By a Cornfield, Nebraska
Posts: 26,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
I have absolutely no problems with it what so ever. We lost Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I'm sure there were some people of other religions and atheists too. I don't think it's insensitive or cruel at all. I 100% support their right to build it.
ditto...people seem to think it was only christian people who got hurt that day....but it wasn't.....america is still supposed to be a "free" country right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
Yikes. I was just sitting on the couch, zoning, and thought about what I'd written... YIKES. Went a little ranty there. Sorry. Trying to keep the rantiness to myself (quitting smoking, so it's been happening a lot lately). Meant what I said, but perhaps I would've said it a little more nicely.
said it perfectly!
__________________
*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(7)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here





Reply With Quote
  #11  
August 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 19,171
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Yay for quitting smoking Jenna!!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #12  
September 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 1,768
I'm sad to say that I think they shouldn't put it there.

My opinion is such not because I believe mosques or Islam are "teh evils" but because I'm a New York native.. and I know how my family and friends back there feel. They.. don't know Muslims intimately (err, like friends, not lovers necessarily. ). They really think that the extremists are the norm. So I would say "disrespectful" because the people who live nearby really don't want it to be there.

However, I'm right sick of people who find it appropriate to judge negatively based on someone else's religion and act like jerks because of it. Guess what.. I don't like forceful Christians in my face, telling me what my morals, ethics, and preferences should be! And I don't think there should be a Christian church erected where some jerk Christian blew up an abortion clinic, so I get it on that level.

My disclaimer is that I haven't read anything newsish about it lately and I'm not going to get to, considering this post has been interrupted every 3 minutes for hte past half hour. But.. YMCA? Community center? Sound similar to me!
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #13  
September 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,626
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
I feel that if anyone succeeds in putting a stop to it it would just be encouraging bigotry in our nation. We shouldn't judge many on the actions of a few. And the whole debate really has been blown out of proportion.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
September 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 466
I fully support them. I believe in freedom of religion. I also don't judge or blame innocent people for the crimes that others committed.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
September 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 19,171
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintana View Post
I'm sad to say that I think they shouldn't put it there.

My opinion is such not because I believe mosques or Islam are "teh evils" but because I'm a New York native.. and I know how my family and friends back there feel. They.. don't know Muslims intimately (err, like friends, not lovers necessarily. ). They really think that the extremists are the norm. So I would say "disrespectful" because the people who live nearby really don't want it to be there.

However, I'm right sick of people who find it appropriate to judge negatively based on someone else's religion and act like jerks because of it. Guess what.. I don't like forceful Christians in my face, telling me what my morals, ethics, and preferences should be! And I don't think there should be a Christian church erected where some jerk Christian blew up an abortion clinic, so I get it on that level.

My disclaimer is that I haven't read anything newsish about it lately and I'm not going to get to, considering this post has been interrupted every 3 minutes for hte past half hour. But.. YMCA? Community center? Sound similar to me!
This doesn't make any sense to me. New York has the second highest Muslim population of the US and I can't see how MOST NYers wouldn't personally know a Muslim at some point in their life. But for the sake of your reasoning, let's say they don't. They can't look past the fact that the people responsible for 9/11 were a group of EXTREMISTS that do not speak for the rest of the Muslim population. So we should be sensitive to the fact they are being ignorant and do not wish to educate themselves? I think it comes down to the other side doesn't even want to THINK about it because they realize the reasoning for their position is not logical. They keep insisting it's disrespectful but have no rational to explain how it's lacking respect with out blaming ALL Muslims for 9/11.
If it's not allowed there, where should it be allowed? What is a respectful distance from ground zero? I am yet to see ANYONE ANYWHERE answer that question.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
September 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. New York has the second highest Muslim population of the US and I can't see how MOST NYers wouldn't personally know a Muslim at some point in their life. But for the sake of your reasoning, let's say they don't. They can't look past the fact that the people responsible for 9/11 were a group of EXTREMISTS that do not speak for the rest of the Muslim population. So we should be sensitive to the fact they are being ignorant and do not wish to educate themselves? I think it comes down to the other side doesn't even want to THINK about it because they realize the reasoning for their position is not logical. They keep insisting it's disrespectful but have no rational to explain how it's lacking respect with out blaming ALL Muslims for 9/11.
If it's not allowed there, where should it be allowed? What is a respectful distance from ground zero? I am yet to see ANYONE ANYWHERE answer that question.
ITA!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
September 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 4,418
It's not rational when you really think about it, but I guess I can understand the sentiment of some New Yorkers about it. While they were extremists and not representative of the entire religion, the religion does lend itself to being interpreted in favor of violence. But so does Christianity. And basically any other religion that has a "jealous" god that doesn't want people worshiping any other.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
September 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,042
Let them put it up, I really don't care. I mean, it was God's will that 911 happened right? Why blame the terrorist extremists?
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #19  
September 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
J_Lee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.absolutes View Post
Let them put it up, I really don't care. I mean, it was God's will that 911 happened right? Why blame the terrorist extremists?
Haha love it!

Muslims have just as much right as any other religion in this country. In a perfect world there wouldn't be any religion, but that's another story.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #20  
September 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 1,768
I don't think it makes sense either, but it seems that many of my Long Island peers feel that way. They talk about all sorts of things that they could do in memory that make little difference, and about making 9/11 a national holiday..

A lot of people just click "I Agree" without reading the rules. I feel this way about the people I know from LI who feel affronted by said offsite mosque.

If I were going with personal opinion only, I'd say that schools and religious venues need to share premises (so, yes, all religions would still be represented) and switch off depending on whether it's a school day or a holy day, but even THAT doesn't cover a whole bunch of possibilities.
__________________




Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0