Breastfeeding and God

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
There is a post in my DDC about inappropriate (public) places to nurse. Everyone is saying that a church is not appropriate!!! What?? As if there needs to be another reason for me to stay away from a church, church goers are condemning those among them that are trying to do what nature intended. Would that be something "designed by God"? I have to assume they believe Jesus was a breast fed baby! Or maybe because he was Jesus he didn't need breast milk. The elderly people in the town would have been offended.

I didn't sleep well last night so that's all the ranting I can do with such little energy.

**side note: I'm all for breast feeding or formula feeding. Different things work for different families. I just wish everyone was more openminded!

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

September 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was too shy to nurse in public myself, but I'm all for a woman's right to do it ANYWHERE she pleases!!! Churches are no exception to this rule. And you're right... if "God" didn't want us to nurse our babies, "He" wouldn't have provided the perfect feeding system built right into our bodies now would he!
September 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
*facepalm* at Christianity for stuff like that. It's ridiculous.

So this just made me have a thought. It might actually be an epiphany. It feels special here.
WHAT IF God's playing a huge joke on his "believers"? What if he uses religion to weed out the people he doesn't want to chill with for eternity? Maybe he figures, "they'll believe anything. So gullible. But check these Atheists and Agnostics over here. They're smart enough to figure out that the Bible's just this huge practical joke gone horribly wrong. They use SCIENCE and all that other good stuff. I choose THEM to be my eternal buds." So the Christians are right - there IS a God - but they're wrong, too. 'Cause he's completely cool and not into the whole live-your-life-in-fear-of-Hell thing. He gave the Earth random chance so he could be pleasantly surprised by his pick of eternal BFF's.

I swear to FSM that I'm not high right now. I just read back through that and I sound completely insane. I'm not. Promise.
September 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
BWAHAHA Jenna I was thinking "is she drinking?"

September 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
lmao jenna!! i wonder what christians would say to that!!!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

September 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
LOL Jenna!!! That's great!
September 20th, 2010, 04:47 AM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post

So this just made me have a thought. It might actually be an epiphany. It feels special here.
WHAT IF God's playing a huge joke on his "believers"? What if he uses religion to weed out the people he doesn't want to chill with for eternity? Maybe he figures, "they'll believe anything. So gullible. But check these Atheists and Agnostics over here. They're smart enough to figure out that the Bible's just this huge practical joke gone horribly wrong. They use SCIENCE and all that other good stuff. I choose THEM to be my eternal buds." So the Christians are right - there IS a God - but they're wrong, too. 'Cause he's completely cool and not into the whole live-your-life-in-fear-of-Hell thing. He gave the Earth random chance so he could be pleasantly surprised by his pick of eternal BFF's.

I swear to FSM that I'm not high right now. I just read back through that and I sound completely insane. I'm not. Promise.
I like this idea

September 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Insane maybe, but it made me giggle. Thanks Praise FSM!

(so, does this mean that God doesn't want young children as followers? Because they often have to eat right in the middle of service if they are there. I don't think God would say "you must starve so that grown men can control their emotions" to any infant!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post

September 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well you know, if a nipple were somehow accidentally exposed, the whole congregation may be lead astray and turn to a life of degradation, and then burn in hell for all eternity.

But in all seriousness, it's probably more to do with a bunch of old stuffy people not being used to NIP than any true religious issues.
September 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Cool God sez: "If adults can't seriously relax enough to feed a kid when it's hungry, said adults need some time in Hell anyway. Seriously, who starves a kid just so they can listen to a sermon? I gave women boobs for a reason. If uptight dudes don't want to look at them, whatever. Wasting My gift."
September 20th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I have been flamed to 9 hells and back for posting my feelings about this matter on another forum but I believe nursing ANYWHERE is appropriate as long as there is some degree of modesty about it.

I am a little insecure about my body, esp my boobs anymore. I just figure not too many people, men or women alike, don't want to see these saggy road maps up close and personal, lol.

I mean, it also depends on the situation. I wouldn't say totally go topless and pop the baby on in a church or any other public place, but by all means, while listening to a sermon or whatever, a nursing cover up would be great or even a nice nursing shirt or any button down shirt and sort of do it discreetly. There's ways to do it to where it doesn't expose all, ya know?

Now if you're around, say, your best friend and she's okay with it all, go all comando, lol. Me and my bff used to nurse our babies together.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
September 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Cool God aside, I do think it's dumb that people take issue with breastfeeding at all. For the one DOING the breastfeeding, I can understand feeling a need for modesty. If you don't want people looking at your boobs, then by all means use a cover. But for the people getting all up in arms that it's not RIIIIIGHT to feed your kid in public - look somewhere else. If you're really that uncomfortable watching someone nourish their kiddo the way nature intended, LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. When did breasts become such a taboo thing? It's not like nursing mamas are shouting LOOK AT MY BOOBS PEOPLE! THEY'RE NOT IN MY SHIRT! FREE BOOB LOOKAGE! Mamas who don't use nursing covers aren't refusing to do it just so people will stare at them. Personally, I'm offended when I see people formula-feeding their kids. Perhaps THOSE parents should cover their children when they have a bottle in their mouths. In fact, those parents should probably feed their kiddos in the nearest public bathroom so we don't have to look at that cover and imagine what's going on under it. (Kidding there. I formula-fed my kid.)

I can't explain clearly and LOUDLY enough how idiotic it is that people get so up in arms about breastfeeding.
September 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I feel the same way Jenna. I covered up, and even then I didn't nurse out in the open in public places (I sat in the car with the A/C on, and I usually brought BM in a bottle for outings) but that was because I'm very shy about my body. My mom is the only person I nursed in front of without a cover. But I know that it was all MY choice and I think nothing of it when I see a nursing mom in a public place with or without a cover. The fact that so many people take issue with it just pisses me off!
September 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I breastfed in the church we attended for over 1.5 yrs. No issues.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

September 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
I totally can believe Christian's and their double sided standards.

@Jenna, lady, you are so funny, and I think you're right on the money! (Seriously, I sometimes do think that way!)

BTW I exclusively breastfed my baby who is now 2.5 until she turned 2...(well, she was eating and stuff by then, but she didn't have any formula in her infancy) and I am not shy at all. But, I believe in modesty...only because I find it innapropiate for people to stare at my boobs. I hate pervs. And no one should have to look at my boobs. But breastfeeding is natural, and there as still people out there in other cultures who breastfeed their offspring, totally naked! Or at least chest naked.
Our culture is just close minded...and too 'modern' if you ask me!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
September 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
This is great. Good stuff Jenna.

I do believe that in this particular senario, it is more about stuffy old people than religion...

I'm an anytime anywhere type of gal but there are exceptions to the rule for each mom and her modesty. I have done it in the car, with a cover, via BM bottle... whatever works at the time.

The bottom line for me is that my baby needs to eat. A lot. If she is hungry she will eat. Again - anytime, anywhere. Sorry grandpa.

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search