Christmas

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What is it like with your family.

With both of our families, it is definitely not a religious event. Even though both sets of parents consider themselves religious. There is no religious paraphernalia, no singing of songs and no mention of the baby jeebus. It is just a family event, one of the few days of the year that we all can get together, without our busy schedules interfering, and just enjoy the company. Now that I think about it...it's like Thanksgiving but with gifts!
September 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In my family there is no religion whatsoever at christmas celebrations despite having a few family members that are devoutly religious. Sadly, I don't live near them so we can't partake. In my DH's family my MIL is a religious fool. I say that because she only practices when she sees fit and doesn't live a christian life.....so I do try to avoid DH's family at this time because I get tired of hearing about baby jesus and how I should NEVER celebrate any holiday because I'm atheist.

September 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Thanksgiving with gifts pretty much sums it up We haven't bothered with a tree, even though we consider it culturally relevant. (Then again, we have CATS.. the toddler might enjoy a small tree this year.. )

DH asks if the tree is a pagan symbol, anyway?

September 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is some info on Christmas trees
All about the Christmas tree: Pagan origins, Christian adaptation and secular status

It is kinda Thanksgiving with gifts for us too. Depending on who hosts there may be a nativity scene set up somewhere (no if at my house, yes if anywhere else.) Nobody really talks much about religious or not, I guess for the religious members it is just assumed.

September 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Carmela! Are you like one of the only 10 other atheist here in Alabama?!
September 30th, 2010, 01:07 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
We do a tree, stockings, gifts, food, family, Santa...
Last yr I had my beloved baby the day after Christmas too!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!
rate 6/5/2014: 164 rate 6/23/2014: 165 14w5d

September 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrrjgandmx View Post
In my family there is no religion whatsoever at christmas celebrations despite having a few family members that are devoutly religious. Sadly, I don't live near them so we can't partake. In my DH's family my MIL is a religious fool. I say that because she only practices when she sees fit and doesn't live a christian life.....so I do try to avoid DH's family at this time because I get tired of hearing about baby jesus and how I should NEVER celebrate any holiday because I'm atheist.
You should check out this thread in the debate section:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...-holidays.html (Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays???)
It's longish, but in the middle there's a lot of good info about the pagan origins of Christmas and how the holiday itself has very little to do with Christ. It might be good ammo next time they start in with the baby Jesus comments.
September 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
its not really religious for either family here either....def not my family its basically just my mom and dad and me dh and the girls...and my sister and her son....usually my other sister...but probably not this year as she pushed us all away from her....again...lol...she does this often....who knows maybe this time its for good?? hahaha

anyways dh's family ALL gather together on christmas eve i LOVE it when we can go up to see his family for christmas....while they are all pretty religious...christmas eve is not like it at all since its such a huge gathering its just a nice get together and exchanging of gifts and eating wherever you can find a place to sit at his grandparents house!! LOL i mean there are a TON of people there...but then they do little individual family things on christmas...and when we go up there we usually spend it with his parents and grandparents...and all the do that is religious is say grace before dinner but i just kinda sit there and look like duh...haha...

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

September 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
haha i love that thread by the way!!! i love how one person wanted to say "christmas IS THE HOLIDAY" but tried to say that she knew there were other holidays too??? didnt get her logic on that....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

September 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do a full out christmas. Without the god. It drives my family insane!

But, honestly, i think christmas has become a cultural thing as much as a christian thing. I'm fine doing it as a secular holiday. It doesn't matter to me if people dont like it. We do.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
September 30th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
What is it like with your family.

With both of our families, it is definitely not a religious event. Even though both sets of parents consider themselves religious. There is no religious paraphernalia, no singing of songs and no mention of the baby jeebus. It is just a family event, one of the few days of the year that we all can get together, without our busy schedules interfering, and just enjoy the company. Now that I think about it...it's like Thanksgiving but with gifts!
That's exactly how it is with my family. Just a time to get together and enjoy being with each other, and the last couple of years the adults haven't exchanged gifts (most of us are too poor these days) so we all just spoil the kids with gifts... And currently I'm the only one with kids that are still of spoiling age.
September 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
Carmela! Are you like one of the only 10 other atheist here in Alabama?!
We are growing in number around here. Birmingham is a little far south to drive, but I am a member in a couple of atheist groups in North Alabama. In Hunstville there is the NAFA (North Alabama Free Thinkers Association.) They are a big group that has a coffee social every Tuesday and frequent meetings/parties at various places. We have gone to a few things, but being over an hour away we haven't been to many. (I was actually at one of their parties/game nights when I went into labor with Blaise.) I am in the Muscle Shoals/Florence area and active member of Humanists of the Shoals. We are a small group, but are trying to get more active and have regular meet ups. (Speaking of which, if anyone would like to donate to our group walking for St. Jude in November please go to this link. DH is determined to get our group to beat all the Christian groups. LOL)

October 1st, 2010, 12:05 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been to Birmingham! The red curry duck at Surin West (or is it East? I can never remember) is the BEST thing I've ever put in my mouth!
October 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
With MY family- it's not religious at all really but with the in-laws it is. We keep that time to a minimum.

October 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
Christmas in our house is probably similar to most houses across the US, minus the wise men, angels and Jesus, of course.

mrsrrjgandmx, I've heard that spiel many a time, and it amazes me how many Christians do not know how mish-mashed the celebration on Dec 25 is! Its origins have almost nothing to do with Jesus, yet people want to put 'Christ back in Christmas.' It cracks me up.
October 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
We celebrate what we call Commercial Christmas. With two young kids, we do the entire Santa, tree, Rudolph and reindeer bit in our house. Gifts, lots of food, family and no work!
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search