what was your wedding like

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
just curious if any of you got married in a church or had any other religious aspects in it and if you kept all the religious stuff out of it how did you do it???

me and dh actually got married outside and were married by my uncle..so there was absolutely NO religion in it at all...

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

October 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
We didn't have a wedding, we just got out marriage certificate notarized by a friend. I didn't want to go through hell and back with his parents fighting over wedding details. My BIL recently got married and it was a nightmare. His wife is Jewish and his parents were angry there weren't enough "Christian" acknowledgments for them.

October 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
We had nothing religious... "God" was taken out of the verbiage and we were married y a Justice of the Peace judge. People asked about a prayer and "giving" th bride away () and I just said "not my style"... We drank a lot of wine and there was some bread there to eat. Does that count?

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

October 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since my SIL is a priest, she married us in my in-laws' home. There was religious stuff and I was kind of blindsided by the whole thing, I really hated my wedding. I wish we'd just gone to City Hall instead. DH promised me someday I'd get the REAL wedding I wanted, but it's been 5 1/2 years and still nothing... I don't even have the engagement ring he promised me either. I'm feeling like my DH is a schmuck today.
October 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to smsturner
I wrote our own ceremony. It was really nice. My mother got ordained online just to do it. AND THEN! - she SNUCK IN A PRAYER in the ceremony!! I almost stopped her right there, but tom told me not to. im happy i didn't make a big deal in the middle of the wedding, but i still fume about it!!

Crazy enough to try all over again for a second together baby! Hoping for a much less wild ride this time!

TTC with PCOS for 5 very long years. Annovulatory cycles. Multiple doctors. Different meds. One horrible loss. And then one wonderful success, born 2/18/14.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26/13
October 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Not married yet but we can't decide what to do - we want to just go down to city hall and get it done, but the consequence of that would be, neither of our families would talk to us after that. Neither side is super religious, and the ceremony will be religion-free no matter what... But both families are big on weddings being a big ol' party. So, we'll see how that goes.
October 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
My wedding was pretty much a big party with a 2 min non-religious ceremony at the beginning. This is going to sound so white trash, but we were actually married by our tattoo artist. lol He became a good friend and we found out he was ordained, and he was more than happy to leave religion out of it even though he was a Christian. It took place in a community-type building (is it awful that I can't even remember the name of the place?! In my defense, it was 8 years ago!)

We strongly debated the idea of a courthouse marriage, and probably would have went that route if our friend hadn't been ordained. It was a very casual affair (husband and groomsmen wore jeans and polo shirts, bridesmaids and I wore jean skirts with cute little button-down tops, guests could wear whatever they wanted), and I don't regret it for one second. I never once had visions of myself in a flowing white gown with a ceremony destined to bore everyone to tears.*

*No offense intended to anyone who went this route. It's just so not my cup o' tea.
October 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
lol i dont think that sounds white trash at all!! i think its awesome a friend married you!

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

October 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our wedding was in my parent's front yard and the reception was around the pool. I wanted an outside wedding, not a court house one, so around here we really didn't have any options but to get a local preacher. My sister's youth minister did the ceremony. We cut out as much of the church garbage as we could and still have to do it. The ceremony itself lasted 11 minutes flat. There was prayer in it, but you can actually see me on the video just kinda looking around not even listening to the guy talk during it, then realize, hey this is my wedding maybe I should at least pay attention and almost start laughing. Now I know about a Humanist that does non-religious ceremonies, but I am not sure she was in the area back then- also 8 years ago.

Now the reception was a blast, we had a local cafeteria cater it, so there was tons of food, and we had a live band. No alcohol though, my family doesn't handle it well, plus my parents live in a dry county (for those of you not in the bible belt that is a county where it is illegal to buy or sell alcohol.)

October 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
We did the flowing white gown and ceremony. There were a lot of tears all around but they weren't from boredom....well, at least I don't think they were

We rented a lovely old inn on the ocean for the weekend with the intent of having the ceremony on the lawn but the weather forced us to hold it inside the inn. I put our ceremony together without a hint of religion...actually I'm pretty sure my exact words were 'no god stuff, whatsoever'. We were married by the mayor of a neighbouring town who had a delightfully shady sounding name that could have been straight out of an old mobster movie. We had a rose ceremony (the cause of the tears) and a wine box and that was that. The reception was at the legion with a potluck dinner.

It was a completely different approach for both sides of the family and worked out very well, especially considering DH's family has had some pretty nasty disputes where religion was concerned. Also, I would have felt really bad for causing the town church to erupt in flame.
October 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Regular
We had a destination wedding in Mexico. I'm not sure if the person who married us was a priest, but he just what I gave him. Absolutely no mention of God, Jesus, heaven or any other religious thing. There were some mentions of nature and such things. We got legally married in front of the courthouse a couple months later and just asked the ordained person to only say what he is required to say.
October 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrely View Post
My wedding was pretty much a big party with a 2 min non-religious ceremony at the beginning. This is going to sound so white trash, but we were actually married by our tattoo artist. lol He became a good friend and we found out he was ordained, and he was more than happy to leave religion out of it even though he was a Christian. It took place in a community-type building (is it awful that I can't even remember the name of the place?! In my defense, it was 8 years ago!)

We strongly debated the idea of a courthouse marriage, and probably would have went that route if our friend hadn't been ordained. It was a very casual affair (husband and groomsmen wore jeans and polo shirts, bridesmaids and I wore jean skirts with cute little button-down tops, guests could wear whatever they wanted), and I don't regret it for one second. I never once had visions of myself in a flowing white gown with a ceremony destined to bore everyone to tears.*

*No offense intended to anyone who went this route. It's just so not my cup o' tea.
I think that's awesome and I felt the same way! I didn't want a big ceremony or big deal out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquetayloca View Post
We had a destination wedding in Mexico. I'm not sure if the person who married us was a priest, but he just what I gave him. Absolutely no mention of God, Jesus, heaven or any other religious thing. There were some mentions of nature and such things. We got legally married in front of the courthouse a couple months later and just asked the ordained person to only say what he is required to say.
That's awesome! Welcome to the forum, BTW.

October 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got married in a last minute outdoor wedding (near Reno). kind of an elopement. my parents knew, but didn't fly out for it. DH's mom wasn't told til afterwards (kind of a double wammy - "we just got married, and btw, we're pregnant too". We had two couples come up with us, and surprised them with the fact that they would be attending our wedding instead of just a weekend get away. The guessed right away that I must be pregnant, because we always told everybody that would be the only reason we would want to get married. It would have been very nice, except the 'minister' - i don't even know what he called himself, was either drunk or withdrawing from ETOH. He was very red faced and shaky and smelled of old alcohol. But all and all it was good.
October 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our marriage was presided over by a minister. We wrote what he was to say and he was more than happy to leave the jesus and god bit out of it. He did question why though. I was kind of weak and just made up some excuse about our family being multireligious. Jewish, Christian, Mormon etc. Honestly, it was the truth. But not THE truth.
October 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We had an outdoor wedding by a lake. We found a justice of the peace who was willing to travel. We had a Rose Ceremony The Rose Ceremony.

October 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
We got married at the courthouse's sunken gardens. We had an minister of the court do our wedding for us. We told him we wanted nothing to do with religion...which was awesome...however...he did our wedding in Spanish! Not only that...he was speaking so quietly...no one could hear him! We were all just standing there looking at him like...OK????
Then he handed us our rings...so we knew something was going on! LOL

We had our reception at the beach afterwards. It was a good wedding. We laugh about the minister tho...

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search