A spin off on my other topic about sheltering and religion

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, anybody else here leave their religions due to not fitting in , thinking outside their close-minded little box, and once gone, you realize the hypocrsy of it all?

That said, do you ever so often feel very hurt for how you or a loved one was treated?

That's where I am now. I was, once upon a time, a Mormon. I tried my poor little heart out to fit in, to try to force myself to think more conservative, and try and be something I was not just so the sake of fitting in. Well, the older I got, the harder it got. Now at 36, it's near impossible for me.

The downfall occured I think around the time my 3 year old dd was close dying in the ICU and the utter lack of caring and support I got at my worst time, and the horrifying callous comments I got! It got worse by the time Obama was running for office and I was a staunch supporter of his, even volunteered at our local Obama headquarters (this isn't intended to start a religious debate, if you don't like our president, I will agree to diagree with you.) Funny thing is, while a lot of my views are pretty liberal, I won't say I identify 100% with either or political party. I am somewhat independent with a sprinkle of liberalism

Well, these harpies were at church one night for an activity for the little girls ages 8-11 and got in a discussion at the table I was at with my daughter about how horrible Obama was, and I just said I found it offensive and what happened to church and politics being separte? They then proceed to flame me after I just said, I am here for my child, I don't want to argue. They then followed me from table to table (crafts going on that night) LOUDLY and INTENTIONALLY saying snarky comments such as "We have to protect the unborn", he is a murderer...I was almost in tears and ran out of the gym and went to my car until my children were all done with their activities. Not once did I get an apology for the way I felt and they saw me say stop, saw I was almost in tears, and still proceeded to bully me.

I decided to give it another chance, the following week, and my son who was 11 at the time came to the car crying and when asked why, he had informed me that the second counseler to the Bishop's kids were saying to him such Chrisitan things as "I hope Obama gets burnet alive". "I want his head ripped off and want to see his blood everywhere."! I confronted their self righteous father, FAST and his repsonse "Kids will be kids".

Onto the lady who I mentioned in the other topic, well, she ended up falling ill while he husband was out of town and I signed up to bring her dinner for her and the kids and it seemed she kept making every reason for me not to, but I wanted to help and when I brought it to her, she treated me like pure crap and will always give me such mean looks. She's also another person who hates Obama as her and her hubby spew their hatred all over FB and their little cliques always applaud them. Enlighten me as to how it is in sync with thier teachings of love and humility?

I am thinking I am going to prune most of the church members off of my Facebook, but for the few who have yet to hurt me.

Anyone else go through something similar?

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
October 8th, 2010, 12:52 PM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I'm sorry that happened to you. You didn't deserve that kind of treatment.

October 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an awful situation to be in. I have always had the fortune to be surrounded by very tolerant people, so I can't relate to your situation. But that is one of the reasons I often have a hard time listening to the news. I just can't take people who aren't civil toward each other despite their different views. I think you are doing the right thing not to be around those people anymore.
October 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, so sorry you are having to deal with such hypocritical awful people! I'd be doing some MAJOR facebook pruning!

OR....... you could start screenshotting all their status updates and send them to failbook and lamebook...
October 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
Hun...I know what you mean.

Especially when they go and bomb the Planned Parenthood clinics.

Seriously, they're just as bad as the terrorist known as Al-Queda! They're doing the same crap as these "Conservative Christian's" They're killing in the name of God, but I've never known God to want to kill his children because of differences! Oy.

I am so sorry you had to go through that. You are such a wonderful person. The fact that you even volunteered to help her, shows what a higher person you are than her...heck even me! I would have let someone else volunteer to help her arse!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
October 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wendy!!!!!!!!!!!! I get so excited when I see you on other JM boards. I miss you!!

Honestly I think a lot of those people are extremely close minded. There really isn't much you can do about it. Nothing you say will make that little light bulb go off in their head. They are going to think how they want to think. They are going to watch FOX News and take whatever they hear as truth. Again, not much we can do about it, except ignore it.
October 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^^Heather, I frequent on here, Green Mommies, and Large Families.

You're right, but I hate hypocrisy.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
October 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate it too , on either end of the spectrum. I try really hard to just be open minded and accepting, even when I don't agree.
October 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i would've called them a hypocrite to their faces!! to preach kindness and love and forgiveness but i suppose its only for people they think are "like them" everyone else is dirt...friggen ridiculous!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search