Totally off topic... Sugar Gliders!

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
O...M...G... I WANT ONE! Well, I want two, apparently they're much happier in pairs because they're such social creatures. I was >this< close to buying one yesterday, there was a traveling breeder in the mall (they won't ship them on planes because it stresses them too much) but I decided not to because I'm afraid my two year old would hurt it. But my mind is pretty much made up, as soon as he's 5 or 6, and I'm confident that he won't hurt them, I'm totally getting a pair of these little guys. And I've already decided on their names:

Newton and Darwin.
October 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
ohh yes those are terribly cute!! we have them at the zoo here!!!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 12th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want one too- BUT, my friend had one, and it bit him, and he had to have his fingertip amputated.

He described the thing as a "pet razor". So I have my doubts now but they are still so darned cute!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
October 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Aww, I love the names! Off to google a sugar glider... I can't remember what they look like.

October 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh they are soooo freaking adorable!! but they require SUPER specialized care. REALLY hard work to keep one happy and healthy!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
I just googled...
They are so cute. I've heard of those! My friend used to call them the 'flying squirrels'.

I hope you get your Newton and Darwin someday!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
October 12th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, I know they're a lot of work. That's part of why I'm not jumping in and getting one now. And I know you take a lot of bites in the beginning before they bond to people and trust you. I'm going to look for a breeder who doesn't have a huge amount of animals and handles the babies every day so that they are used to being handled as soon as they're out of the pouch. Once they bond to you, they're as loyal as a dog, and just as smart. They're really fascinating little critters!
October 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanahoria View Post
Yes, I know they're a lot of work. That's part of why I'm not jumping in and getting one now. And I know you take a lot of bites in the beginning before they bond to people and trust you. I'm going to look for a breeder who doesn't have a huge amount of animals and handles the babies every day so that they are used to being handled as soon as they're out of the pouch. Once they bond to you, they're as loyal as a dog, and just as smart. They're really fascinating little critters!
As long as you know what you are getting into and have the time and money before hand to set up for them before you get them, I hope you do get Newton and Darwin one day. I typically hate seeing people get pets like that, since they are normally an impulse buy because they are cute. It is worse with reptiles than mammals for the most part, but most pets like that end up coming in my clinic half dead simply because their owners didn't bother to learn how to care for them before they got them. Then don't bother to come ask for advice (other than from the minimum wage pet store worker) on how to help them when they start getting sick until they have had them for 6 months or longer and there really is no helping them. Sorry, back off my podium now.

October 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
How does someone not know how to care for a reptile? I've had several and they are seriously the easiest animals to care for! I'm not impulse buying, I'm waiting a minimum of two years, so that's plenty of time to research and think it over. I'm also not new to critter care. I know these aren't rodents, but the closest comparison I can think of are rodents, which I've kept as pets since I was 13 and am not new to cleaning a cage or handling furry things that bite (hamsters are the worst, their teeth are LONG!) I've also had several reptiles and a couple of rabbits. One of the things that appeals to me about sugar gliders is the longer life span, as well as their desire to be with you as opposed to a rodent which mostly couldn't care less (except for my first rat, Rocky, she was SO smart and even came when she was called). I've heard that in many ways, owning sugar gliders is a lot like having a dog in many ways. They live about as long, need as much time and affection, are about as smart, and are every bit as loyal. Hell, they even "bark", lol. The fact that they aren't disease carriers is a plus, so as long as it doesn't get sick, no vet bills. I'm sure you've seen a lot of irresponsible pet owners, but I assure you, I am not one.
October 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most of the sick reptiles I see are iguanas, but also snakes and bearded dragons commonly. Pretty typical for "reptile owners" is they don't have any idea what to feed them, many times they they feed crickets only with no calcium powder for carnivores/ insectivores, or iceburg lettuce and no real veggies for fruit to herbivores. Of course they almost never have the right type of UV lights, or don't change the bulbs, or use heat rocks instead of appropriate heat lamps. I could go on and on.

I hope you do get your sugar gliders. While I do hate seeing the irresponsible ones come in, I love seeing the ones with actual owners come in as happy health pets (or maybe pets with a minor injury or problem that is simply fixed and not due to husbandry.) Good luck. :-)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search