new to the board...

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Kathryn Marie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi everyone Im new to this board. I have a 12 week old daughter and I have already started thinking about which dance school she will go to. LOL I know Im a silly girl. But I was looking online for a good dance school and all the nicest ones were christian! I want her to get the best in life but I dont want her to be forced to pray when she goes to dance or softball or whatever it may be. How do you all cope with the forced christian ideals in your childrens lives? Also I know someday she might want to go to church. I dont want her to be a religious person but I also want her to be able to decide for herself. If she were to want to go to church should I give in and take her, just tell her no, or let her go with a friend? I know that I feel strongly about christianity and that I am not one but I dont know how much I want to enforce on my daughter.
October 18th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I searched and searched for a secular preschool, and next year my oldest will go to public school, where I get to sick the ACLU on them if they do anything preachy to my kid! My husband wanted to send him to a private school, but they're ALL christian, so I said HELL NO. Plus, it's expensive anyway.
October 18th, 2010, 06:04 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i am not much help with the dance....but as for the church....i would let my kids go....at a certain age....and after talking to them about it first....sit them down and explain how people believe in different things sometimes...and just because someone does and tries to tell you you should as well...doesn't mean YOU have to....make sure they know they can make up their own minds and not to let anyone force their beliefs on them etc etc

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well first, i have a preteen. and i'm telling you, if she doesn't WANT to be a dancer, it's not gonna happen. lol you might want to prepare yourself, just in case

it sucks about the christian schools being so prevalent though. i was looking recently, and realized that there are almost no secular private schools. that annoys me too. i hope it's going to change over the next few decades...but i guess we'll see.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
Hi! I'm pretty new too!

I wouldn't start worrying about dance schools and stuff until she gets a bit older and you see what her interests are. But it is definitely annoying. We go to a local place that has all kinds of classes that isn't associated with a religion, thankfully. You never know what may pop up in your area in the next few years.

As for church, I've been thinking of taking my daughter (she just turned 5) to the local Unitarian Universalist church if she expresses a desire. I may even take her every now again for the experience, since they are a very liberal atmosphere made up of all kinds of believers and non-believers. I feel it would be a much better way to expose her to different religions without being in place where the message is "our message is the only one," ya know?

But like you, her father and I really don't want her to grow up religious, just as we expect she'll realize in the next few years there is no Santa or Tooth Fairy. I realize she needs to make up her own mind, but it would be very disappointing, if I'm being honest. I remain very optimistic that we can combat any religious dogma thrown at her with science, logic, and reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanahoria View Post
I searched and searched for a secular preschool
Not an easy task, is it?! We have a couple around here but the wait is insane and you're very lucky to get in, not to mention the price tag that comes with it. So we're homeschooling for preschool because I just can't put my child into a church's hands without me there, not at this tender age.

Last edited by Squirrely; October 18th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
October 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Ditto on Unitarian. That is probably the only church I would be cool with my kid attending to be honest. Hopefully she won't want to though!
Welcome!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search