Do you feel

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
smug or superior to believers? Do you feel like you are better than them, more intelligent? Some days, I admit, I do. The little voice in my head says some pretty nasty things.

I feel bad, for a while.
October 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't believe I am more intelligent than others just a bit more in tune with reality and life.

October 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i feel like i look at things differently. more cynical, less likely to believe things just bcs someone said so.
i guess not really smarter, just more scientific, less fanciful. lol i guess that does sound arrogant huh? i don't mean it to!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
not to the point where i think im "better" than them cause i dont...but just for the fact that i live in reality and they dont...if that makes sense? i kinda feel sorry for them actually LOL that they have to hang onto this imaginary friend to make it through life....and for that to make them feel like that is what makes life worthwhile...when its life itself that makes it all worthwhile not some imaginary being now im just rambling....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Haha, I posted a topic like this a few months ago and got a couple of nasty PM's as a result.
I know what you mean and I can't figure out a nice way to explain it.

October 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nasty PMs? Ooh do tell, I'd LOVE to know what they said, LOL!

I'd say it's not that I feel superior, but I do feel like I have a better understanding of how to use logic, because when you apply the tool of logic to religion, it falls apart. I too feel sorry for religious people who limit themselves and their own happiness to please their gods, which I feel is a waste of their precious little time on earth.
October 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
Hmmm, not sure that I feel superior, but I do feel smug sometimes I suppose. As for intelligence, I know many believers who are more intelligent than me, and I know plenty who aren't, so I don't base my opinion in religious belief most of time. This is mainly based on religious people I know well IRL, who are rather liberal in their beliefs.

Now, if someone is a conservative who denies evolution and spouts of about the 'truth' creationism, then yes, I will go ahead and assume the role of intellectual superior without qualm. lol Same goes for someone who claims to follow every word of the Bible literally, as we all know that isn't remotely possible. These folks usually go hand-in-hand and it makes me want to weep for their children, and for our country's future, especially when crackpots in politics want to interfere with education and actively make our population even more stupid than it is. Any atheist is smarter than these folks.

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown
October 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I'm better than everyone. That's just how it is.

And Melissa, you should share your fan letters.
October 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I try not to feel smug or superior....but it's hard. I just think that faith and critical thinking cannot coexist in one person.
October 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpie24 View Post
I just think that faith and critical thinking cannot coexist in one person.
I think this is an interesting statement. Could one say that faith (in the case of religion) is being lazy? Are people being too lazy and just deciding that yep, a magic guy in the clouds made it all happen? No need to think further?
October 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Well, one was a message on yahoo from a weird sn that basically said they would pray for us and how we have turned away from God, and even though we think we are smarter... in the end we will see we were not. There were some colorful words too.
The other was on JM. I deleted it when I cleaned out my PM's a few weeks ago. It wasn't nasty at all and I don't remember who sent it but it just said they thought my post was rude and inappropriate. I told them to stop reading a forum they obviously didn't jive with and that was that.

October 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've often heard theism called "willful ignorance" and I can't remember who says this (Dawkins I think, but it might have been one of the other current mainstream atheist voices) but, and I'm paraphrasing a bit here, "Faith is not belief with a lack of evidence, it is belief in spite of the evidence." For instance, young earth creationists, or YECs. I don't think it's that they're truly too stupid to understand the evidence for evolution and why most of the world finds it so compelling, but rather, they know it contradicts their religion and they know if they admit to one fallacy (and a huge one at that) then they have no basis to claim that any other part of their religion is true. So they try and try to rationalize and convince others that the evidence is faulty and inconclusive, when I think that deep down, they know how compelling it is. It's "willful ignorance" at its best.
October 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
not to the point where i think im "better" than them cause i dont...but just for the fact that i live in reality and they dont...if that makes sense? i kinda feel sorry for them actually LOL that they have to hang onto this imaginary friend to make it through life....and for that to make them feel like that is what makes life worthwhile...when its life itself that makes it all worthwhile not some imaginary being now im just rambling....
This!

I don't feel smarter, really it confuses me why people believe. I have known some very intelligent, usually quite logical people that still believed and i just don't understand it. Sometimes i wish i did believe, it seems it would make things much easier and simple.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

October 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that many Christians are the ones who have the "superior" attitudes.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
October 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Veteran
I have to say that sometimes I"m a little JEALOUS of those of us who have not yet figured it out. I honestly wonder how on earth they haven't come to reality. BUt, their ability to believe that everything happens for a reason, and that someone ELSE is responsible, well that is something I wish I had!

Please excuse typos as most of my posts are made on my iPhone while nursing my toddler. Yup--I practice self weaning.

October 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymommy6 View Post
I think that many Christians are the ones who have the "superior" attitudes.
hehe...i was thinking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
I think this is an interesting statement. Could one say that faith (in the case of religion) is being lazy? Are people being too lazy and just deciding that yep, a magic guy in the clouds made it all happen? No need to think further?
i don't really think it's laziness... i think it's more like a coping mechanism. Some people just can't take an i don't know. Soo... god did it! well sure, that makes sense, right? and my niece died so young bcs god had a plann and wanted to bring her to a wondrous heaven early. and the universe was made this way bcs a magical man in the sky decided he wanted it to be exactly like this! obviously

i think it can be also, the lack of thinking outside the box. mom said the bible is true. uncle ned said the bible is true. and that's what i've believed FOREVER so it MUST be true. And can't prove its not! nyah nyah nyah...

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
November 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsturner View Post

i don't really think it's laziness... i think it's more like a coping mechanism. Some people just can't take an i don't know. Soo... god did it! well sure, that makes sense, right? and my niece died so young bcs god had a plann and wanted to bring her to a wondrous heaven early. and the universe was made this way bcs a magical man in the sky decided he wanted it to be exactly like this! obviously

i think it can be also, the lack of thinking outside the box. mom said the bible is true. uncle ned said the bible is true. and that's what i've believed FOREVER so it MUST be true. And can't prove its not! nyah nyah nyah...
I love your entire post!

And no. I don't feel I am better. I feel that I am awake, and not in dream land tho...So maybe I'm a little smug about it...

But, I've always said..."If it helps them be a better person, then that's wonderful..." But when they start killing and doing weird crap...then I get a bit...something- about it...I guess...angry?

It's always their double standards that I really loathe...that's when I may feel like I'm more intelligent. lol

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search