Whew, I sure dodged that bullet!

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
I recently became Facebook friends with an ex of mine. Oh my FSM, did I ever love this guy! We were great friends, had a great relationship, etc, etc. Well, he broke up with me out of the blue for not being "Christian enough" for him (ha! I wasn't at all Christian!). I didn't get it though, not at that stage in my life. I just didn't see why that had to matter. It's not like I was out sacrificing goats in graveyards or something. I made an utter fool of myself over him for a long time to come. He had never expressed anything about religion to me, and for it to come out of the blue like that really, really hurt. It made me feel quite worthless that he couldn't see all the good in me that had nothing to do with imaginary friends.

Fast-forward to now. Holy cripes, this guy is insane! Super-conservative, super-religious, anti-Halloween, anti-gay rights, and everything else that makes me want bang my head against the wall. He 'likes' Glenn Beck's FB page, for crying out loud! Part of me wants to call him up and thank him for his foresight back then (while the other part of me wants to just reach through the screen and shake him)! My naivety could have ruined a good chunk of my life. I can just picture us now-divorced with kids stuck in the middle, or me trying to pretend to be something I'm not, and resenting the hell out of him for it.

I think I will hug my lovably agnostic husband a little tighter tonight.

Anyone else have a similar story?

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown
October 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I've got one of those exes. Not QUITE as extreme as yours, I don't think, but I definitely tire of all the god posts on almost a daily basis. Plus, he got really fat and hairy and ugly since highschool. Glad that one didn't work out!!!
October 25th, 2010, 08:38 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
haha, I thought I dodged a bullet when I found out the guy I liked from highschool through college watches Bill O'Reilly. I think you dodged more than a bullet, maybe a planet-sized astroid hurtling towards Earth!
October 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I have a similar story. Except I should have known it from the start. "I can't marry you unless you accept Jesus Christ into your heart." I was only 15, though. I wasn't thinking of marriage, just that I was dating a cool older guy!

I love this irony: the place where we would go to make out (and once got caught by the police) is the parking lot of the megachurch to which he now belongs!
October 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpie24 View Post
I love this irony: the place where we would go to make out (and once got caught by the police) is the parking lot of the megachurch to which he now belongs!
Hahahaha! I love it!

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown
October 26th, 2010, 08:05 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my ex was just a jerk. lol not a conserv religious one really, just a huge jerk.

i do adore my agnostic, super liberal hubby though

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I have a "friend" from high school (she deleted me months ago over a debate on my page regarding hitting your children in the face) who used to be sort of religious, but not too overbearing. All of a sudden she's up God's *** these days. A few months ago I saw a woman at the grocery store smack her 1 year old in the face for throwing a sippy cup out of their shopping cart. I posted about it on FB and numerous people responded. It somehow evolved into a debate about spanking and physical discipline. She was actually saying that God condones violence in the Bible so it's OK to use it on your kids if necessary and blah blah blah and then she deleted me when a few friends called her out on her inconsistencies. She said numerous other things about how it doesn't matter if you spank or not, if you don't raise your child to know God's will then there is no hope for their life anyways. I'm glad she deleted me quickly, because I was 1 click away from deleting her.

October 27th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember that debate, Melissa. I don't remember if I chimed in or not, but I do remember thinking that woman was a whole mess of walking crazy! A lot of times, when I am on the verge of deleting someone, I remember the tagline over at Failbook.com... "Too funny to unfriend"
November 1st, 2010, 12:01 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
Oh wow. You got really lucky! It wasn't meant to be!

Um, I don't really have any of those type of exes...

To think of it, none of my past boyfriends were religious

I guess I attract my kind!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search