Maybe I'm not a proper Atheist...but...

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2010, 04:18 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
Maybe I'm not a proper Atheist...but...I don't get that FSM thing??

Am I ignorant or uneducated?

In order to be a real Agnostic/Atheist person, do I need to fully understand and comprehend what FSM stands for?

No offense to anyone...As this is my personal opinion...and MY reason for being Atheist...well, a major reason...

I don't follow church, and I don't like the idea of having to follow someone else's ideals...

And to be a part of something sometimes really, repulses me.

To me, that's what church is...

Something to follow, either for fear, or because you don't know any better. Or to belong to something, that comes close to your way of thinking. I try not to be negative...because I say..."Hey, to each their own...if religion makes you happy, then good for you...it's just not for me, because religion pisses me off, actually"

That's what I don't like about religion.

And I've seen many times...that FSM is a group of people who (I'm guessing) jokingly formed this because of something to do with education. (Or maybe not so much as jokingly...)

I kind of see it as a sarcastic cult, if you may.

Which stands against my personal beliefs. LOL...(I don't like following the herd, in other words)

Please please please, don't be offended. I am not here to stir an argument...But I do feel kinda, dumb, if you may...for not fully idolizing FSM. (Not dumb, per se...but kind of out of the loop...if you may)

I just don't get it :shrug:

So, someone care to enlighten me?

I've wikipedia'ed FSM...and I understand some stuff about it...
But, I don't really care about certain things, and I don't throw hissy fits when it comes to the public school system...The way I see it...I chose to enroll my child...so I know what comes of that.

Either way...I'm hoping I'm not upsetting any of you...as I've noticed a whole lot of you girls talk or mention FSM...

Like that whole Holiday decorating with the Spaghetti monster doesn't make sense to me...

I'm sorry if I make no sense...and please don't be offended...

I know a lot of times it's very hard to read ones posts the way we meant to voice them...but I promise I'm not trying to be an arse here...

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
November 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I'm not sure what Wikipedia has to say on the matter, but - the FSM was invented to challenge the Board of Education in Kansas re: teaching intelligent design in schools. He asserted that the Christian POV doesn't have any more proof of reality than his theory on the FSM, and so the FSM should be afforded equal time as the Christian belief of intelligent design in the classroom. It was started as a joke, and has gained a lot of followers. Do I actually believe that a deity made from spaghetti created the world? No. But it's just as believable as the idea that God created the world. It makes a good point about how much we are expected to accept blindly and believe. The FSM has become a sort of mascot for a lot of Atheists and Agnostics.
See also: invisible pink unicorn.

Edited to add:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gracie View Post
But, I don't really care about certain things, and I don't throw hissy fits when it comes to the public school system...The way I see it...I chose to enroll my child...so I know what comes of that.
Religion has no place in school. If I'm paying to send my kid to the school (I pay taxes, therefore I pay for public school... Like pretty much everyone does), I'll be ****** if she's going to be taught superstitious crap like it's fact. And I'm not shelling out $25,000 a year for private school in an attempt to shield her from the religious folks. If a parent wants their child to learn the theory of ID like it's a cold hard fact, they can send their kid to a school that gets its funding from the church instead of the government.
I fully respect that there are differences in belief, even within the A/A parenting board, but public education is a different matter. Religious people + indifferent atheists = religious education in public schools. I'm not okay with that sort of thing happening.

Last edited by Jenna; November 21st, 2010 at 05:25 AM.
November 21st, 2010, 06:26 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
Thank you so much for explaining this to me.

I must say tho, that I am indifferent when it comes to teaching religion in public schools. However, only reason I say that is because I'm open minded...and don't want to seclude my daughter on forming her own opinions. Surely, I wouldn't want her becoming the exact opposite of me...but, I would support her.

It's not my daughter's schools' job to teach her religion...but, religion is a part of history...and I was taught it in public school when I was a child as well.

Religion has got us to where we are today. Thankfully here in this country we are free to move aside from it...but, major reason things exist is because of religion.

I'm not trying to disagree with you...not at all...But I don't feel that strongly against it.

I think it's better to be educated on religion, than not know anything of it.
And I completely agree on us parents who send our children to public school. We pay our taxes, we pay for school. IE, we pay for taxes, we also pay for our military, welfare...all that stuff...And we've every right to form an opinion.

But yes, we all have different views...I'm just not that strongly against it.

Honestly. It's not harming my daughter to learn about monarchs and stuff. I always found that fascinating...guess I'm morbid that way...lol...

But I grately appreciate you replying to me.

I had a long, quiet night at work...and was wondering.

I still do feel it's a bit crazy that FSM has followers...as my reason for not liking religion is that whole "Follower" thing...go figure. LOL But I think that's a human thing in general...right??

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
November 21st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I don't think anyone actually believes in the FSM.

As far as religious ideas being taught in school - I have no issue with the history of the world being taught - and yes, religion played a huge role in a lot of things in history - it's when Intelligent Design is being taught in science class as a 'fact' that I start to get annoyed. If a parent wants their child to be taught the 'idea' of a religious belief, they can do that at home. (I plan to do that with Caitie - we'll teach her the basic premise of each religion and let her decide for herself.)
November 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
I am the same way as you...I don't like the whole follower idea that goes with church. Many people only to go to church because they feel like they have to in order to belong. I hate that. The point of church is supposed to be to worship the god you so believe in. But many churches have gotten to the point where it is only social hour, a place to show off the new car, the nice clothes and the donation you can make. I hate that it has gotten away from being the place where you go to actually worship the person you preach about.

That being said....
I do not believe that the FSM is real...nor do I think that it should be worshipped, but I think it is funny and will read and look at pictures and laugh and enjoy. It is something that when looked at in the same sense as religion, makes people realize that religion can't be as trusted as people think it is.

living in small town Iowa leaves me very few choices for school. You either drive 60 miles for private, or you enroll in public education. The school system here is run in an okay fashion. My children are only in 1st grade and Kindergarten so we haven't gotten very far into the school to really know all that is involved.

I found out last year that my son's kindergarten teacher told him that god created the dinosaurs and then he destroyed them and then made people. I was PISSED. But, instead of going off on the school system, I talked to my son about religion and god and dinosaurs and left it alone. If it happens again, I will make sure to put an end to it. Religion needs to be taught...with this statement I agree. HOWEVER. It needs to be taught from an EDUCATIONAL stand point, NOT a standpoint that is making it seem as though it happened a certain way. That is my job as a parent.

I took World Religions in my college courses and it taught it exactly how it should be taught. Educational points only. It talked about the history, the beliefs, but did not push the readers to choose one way or another. That is how it should be taught in our school systems.

So, I agree with you....know exactly where you are coming, but still enjoy the comical nature of FSM! It gets the other side all riled up and sometimes...its funny LOL
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The FSM is parody, nothing more. Nobody actually believes it exists, it is only meant to reveal the ridiculousness of religious claims. When someone says they're a FSM follower, they are saying they're an atheist, that's it.
November 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i say it just say it because its exactly that a saying...means just as much as "thank god" would mean to me...nothing
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

November 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanahoria View Post
The FSM is parody, nothing more. Nobody actually believes it exists, it is only meant to reveal the ridiculousness of religious claims. When someone says they're a FSM follower, they are saying they're an atheist, that's it.
Yeah, that. There is no actual membership or group. It's all a parody.

November 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
I'm not sure what Wikipedia has to say on the matter, but - the FSM was invented to challenge the Board of Education in Kansas re: teaching intelligent design in schools. He asserted that the Christian POV doesn't have any more proof of reality than his theory on the FSM, and so the FSM should be afforded equal time as the Christian belief of intelligent design in the classroom. It was started as a joke, and has gained a lot of followers. Do I actually believe that a deity made from spaghetti created the world? No. But it's just as believable as the idea that God created the world. It makes a good point about how much we are expected to accept blindly and believe. The FSM has become a sort of mascot for a lot of Atheists and Agnostics.
See also: invisible pink unicorn.

Edited to add:

Religion has no place in school. If I'm paying to send my kid to the school (I pay taxes, therefore I pay for public school... Like pretty much everyone does), I'll be ****** if she's going to be taught superstitious crap like it's fact. And I'm not shelling out $25,000 a year for private school in an attempt to shield her from the religious folks. If a parent wants their child to learn the theory of ID like it's a cold hard fact, they can send their kid to a school that gets its funding from the church instead of the government.
I fully respect that there are differences in belief, even within the A/A parenting board, but public education is a different matter. Religious people + indifferent atheists = religious education in public schools. I'm not okay with that sort of thing happening.
Thanks for the history of FSM. I had no idea!

And I totally agree with you on the public school issue.
November 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I for on never heard of FSM until recently . I must be a horrible atheist. I think the whole think is just odd.

As far as public schools go...I think that religion should not be anymore than in history book. Never taught as a fact. Parents can teach their own kids about religion, take them to church/Sunday school, or put them in a private school if they want to expose them to religion.

November 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In college we also had some bible in literature class. Mostly from psalms and such. I feel it is appropriate there as well as in history class. I love FSM, but like others said, it is all parody and an example to use to explain why atheists find all religions ridiculous.

November 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
Quote:
I think it's better to be educated on religion, than not know anything of it.
And I completely agree on us parents who send our children to public school. We pay our taxes, we pay for school. IE, we pay for taxes, we also pay for our military, welfare...all that stuff...And we've every right to form an opinion.
it is one thing to educate your children on religion and quite another to brainwash and tell them is true....i talk to my kids about god and religion all the time but i wont be shoving it down their throats telling them any one way is the right way....which is why religion should be left OUT of the public school system
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search