Venting

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
You know....this time of year can be so difficult for so many people. Take Facebook for example. Every day I check my page. I have less than 200 friends, most are family, but many are those who I choose to be in my life. If you wouldn't say 2 words to me if I seen you on the street, then you don't need access to my personal life on Facebook.

So that being said...I have very few atheist friends on my list only because I don't know many people who are atheist. Most of the people on my friends list are Christian which I am fine with. My best friend in the whole wide world is the strongest Christian ever and I love her to death. But every day most of them start their day out during this time of year with a saying from the bible or a passage of some sort having to do with Christmas.

I dont ever comment on any of them, except for the few that really touch me, or have a really good meaning behind them. I say good quote or i like this one or something like that.

So today, I seen that on one of the Atheist Groups I am a part of on Facebook had an article about the billboard that states "You know its a myth. This season, celebrate REASON" I believe its in NJ or something like that.

I shared that on my page, not really thinking about it, just like I do with normal news stories that I find interesting and want to share. Well my husband's cousin decides to say this:

"Good thing Christmas is not at my house. No one here will be celebrating "reason."

Seriously?????? LOL I just don't get some people. I responded with this:
"I don't celebrate the "religious" christmas, we celebrate the commercial christmas. Santa, reindeer, xmas tree. I wouldn't not go to someone's celebration because of their beliefs. I am there because I want to be there, to be with family and friends, eat good food and have good conversation. Sad that those who say love thy neighbor are the first to cast stones at the people who don't believe in the same as they do."

I really don't understand how people can post everything in the world about christ and christmas and god and jesus and one thing I post gets attention. I just really get irritated that some people can't just get it. And the only reason technically we celebrate the commercial Christmas is because its fun. Our kids are young, they both go to school full time, I didn't want them feeling left out. So we do Santa, reindeer, Frosty the snowman. And when they are old enough to understand, then they will be told what we believe and if they want to continue to do the commercial christmas then we will do that. But until now we just make it fun. Anyways...that is my vent for the day
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
Wow. You know...no one ever notices that.
Why? They're Christians, they're 'perfect'.
They don't like that we want to be 'aware' or 'free' or...Atheist/Agnostics. I feel that they hate when someone else is different. Maybe they don't like to hear of the alternatives...Who knows.

But, KUDOS to you! You responded so well! I admire that response, and totally must ditto everything you say.

Everything.

That's why we celebrate Christmas, as well!

It's a loving holiday. It's warm. It's uniting!
And as much as they want to turn their heads...IT'S NOT CHRIST'S BIRTHDAY!!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
November 28th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Christmas time is infuriating for me. Between FB posts like "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays!" I get high blood pressure. I don't care if someone is a Christian, but at the very least educate yourself and your children on the TRUE TRUE TRUE meaning behind it. My friend's children actually think 12/25 is Jesus' birthday. I get that some people celebrate his birth then, but at least be honest. Say "This is not actually the day that Jesus was born, it's just the day that we happen to celebrate it. It all started x amount of years ago when Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice and Christians wanted a holiday too..." etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gracie View Post
Wow. You know...no one ever notices that.
Why? They're Christians, they're 'perfect'.
They don't like that we want to be 'aware' or 'free' or...Atheist/Agnostics. I feel that they hate when someone else is different. Maybe they don't like to hear of the alternatives...Who knows.

But, KUDOS to you! You responded so well! I admire that response, and totally must ditto everything you say.

Everything.

That's why we celebrate Christmas, as well!

It's a loving holiday. It's warm. It's uniting!
And as much as they want to turn their heads...IT'S NOT CHRIST'S BIRTHDAY!!
PS, I love your new siggie!!!

November 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tire of all the religious BS this time of year as well. I did have one really heartwarming moment last week though...

My husband, SIL, BIL, and I were going to see the new Harry Potter on Black Friday, and as some of you know, SIL and BIL are both priests... Well we got held up in the parking garage by someone being an idiot, and upon seeing one of the cars' bumper stickers my BIL commented, "Ugh, I didn't want to park next to the "Keep the Christ in Christmas" car anyway, I HATE those people!" LOL

I love it when my priestly in-laws say and do very UN-priestly things. SIL gave DH the finger in front of their mom earlier that day too, and DH was cracking up later on saying "A priest flipped me the bird today!" SIL says it doesn't count if she's not wearing her collar.

But yeah, I get people who jump down my throat if I say ANYTHING that questions the validity of religion or promotes reason, so for the most part, I just don't bother anymore. If people go overboard with posting psalms and crap, I generally unfriend them or wait for them to say something ridiculous enough to submit to lamebook and failbook.
November 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
ugh i agree!!!

Quote:
I don't care if someone is a Christian, but at the very least educate yourself and your children on the TRUE TRUE TRUE meaning behind it. My friend's children actually think 12/25 is Jesus' birthday. I get that some people celebrate his birth then, but at least be honest. Say "This is not actually the day that Jesus was born, it's just the day that we happen to celebrate it. It all started x amount of years ago when Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice and Christians wanted a holiday too..."
love that!! should have posted that to my cousins status when she made it LOL
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

December 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
I can't get past laughing at the xtian stating that he won't be celebrating "reason." lmao Yeah, we know you aren't!

A small part of me likes to pretend that they get irked and indignant because deep down they know we're right.

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search