Billboard Issues

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
Sooo what is everyone's feelings on this Billboard situation that everyone is having a cow about?
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 1st, 2010, 12:07 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What situation?

*edit* You mean the New Jersey tunnel billboard? I think that like ANY pro-atheism billboard, Christians are going to have a TOTAL moocow over it and I will laugh at their hypocrisy like I do every season. I just read that some Catholic group put up a copycat billboard on the other side of the tunnel, and the American Atheists president had this to say about it:

“They stole our scene and copied what we’re doing, and that’s fine. Once again, the Catholic Church is co-opting something that isn’t theirs, just like they did to Christmas. It’s a great analogy, and I love it.”

ROFL SO TRUE!

Last edited by Zanahoria; December 1st, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
December 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Bwahahaha ^

December 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I don't really care for the wording on the original billboard. While I think it's definitely true, it seems really provocative and sort of snide, like they're intentionally just trying to anger Christians. I would like to see something with a more positive message that doesn't seek to completely alienate and put Christians on the defensive. Like the bus ad campaign that everyone made such a fuss about in London a couple years back. ("There probably is no god. Now relax and enjoy your life.") Or something reminding people that the "holiday season" isn't just a Christian thing and we should be trying to encompass celebrants of all religions (and non-religions so to speak). But the way this billboard sort of says "I'm right, you're wrong, na-na-na-boo-boo stick your head in doo-doo" merely serves to rile up the other side instead of provoking thought and tolerance.

I don't know, it just kind of gives atheism a bad name.

*edit* but the copycat Catholics still crack me up
December 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What does it say?

December 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
The atheist one shows a silouhette of the manger and the three wise men on camels with a blue background and says "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason." The catholic one also shows a manger scene with a red background and says "You know it's real. This season, celebrate Jesus." They are on opposite ends of the tunnel between New Jersey and New York.
December 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I agree with you. I like the one we had here locally that said "Don't believe in God? You're not alone." The confrontational... maybe that's not a good word for it. The ones that almost seem insulting I guess? They aren't going to do any good and I agree it sheds a bad light on us.

December 2nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
lol i like the billboard actually!! i dont see how its any different from the pushyness of christians with any of their billboards

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

December 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
lol i like the billboard actually!! i dont see how its any different from the pushyness of christians with any of their billboards
Oh it's not, the religious billboards step WAY over the line (that one depicting the guy with the gun saying something like "If he doesn't care about god, what makes you think he cares about you?" comes to mind, ugh) BUT... I think inflammatory billboards from atheists just go to justify the cries of "persecution" we're so accustomed to hearing from the religious. A more positive message would show that the atheists are "above that" so to speak. No doubt the religious still cry about them, but it's nicer to watch them accuse us of "attacking religion" when the claim is completely baseless and petty.
December 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe it's just my area, but I've never seen a church billboard like that. I live in freakin church central too. All of our church billboards just say what kind of church it is and something like "We love everyone! Come visit!" I've never seen one that's pushy and crossing any lines.
I just think the current billboard isn't helping. It's not going to "win" anyone over or make them think critically about it, it's just going to piss them off.

December 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have several "pushy" christian billboards around here. "Repent or the Devil will get you!" "Do you know where you are going?" (with flames coming up on the bottom.) Stuff like that.

Personally I thought the billboard was funny at first, but the more interviews the guy in charge of it does, the less I like it. I saw this one this morning on youtube and personally it seems like it just makes him look arrogant and snobby. While I agree that there is pretty good evidence the Jesus story is a myth, he says several times in this interview that "We know God is a myth, God is fake." While I personally believe that, we can't prove it any more than religious people can prove he isn't. YouTube - CNN - Battle of Christmas Billboards

December 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
Ugh, there's been a billboard up on a highway right outside of town for eons that says "The family that prays together, stays together." It nauseates me. And it's statistically WRONG! The more conservative you are in the religion spectrum, the higher the divorce rate is.

As for the billboard issue at hand, I've been going back and forth about it ever since I heard about it, and in the end, I'm completely behind it and its message. Yeah, it's a bit pushy, but I think being pushy is the only option we have. Sitting back and trying to co-exist peacefully and worrying about everyone's feelings isn't getting us anywhere (hmm, sort of like *coughObamacough*), and this billboard is meant to be an attention-grabber to those who aren't speaking up for themselves, or who are still in the closet. Because let's face it, no campaign or billboard is going to get through to a true believer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela View Post
While I agree that there is pretty good evidence the Jesus story is a myth, he says several times in this interview that "We know God is a myth, God is fake." While I personally believe that, we can't prove it any more than religious people can prove he isn't.
Sure, but the burden of proof is on the believer, always.

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown
December 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrely View Post
Ugh, there's been a billboard up on a highway right outside of town for eons that says "The family that prays together, stays together." It nauseates me. And it's statistically WRONG! The more conservative you are in the religion spectrum, the higher the divorce rate is.

As for the billboard issue at hand, I've been going back and forth about it ever since I heard about it, and in the end, I'm completely behind it and its message. Yeah, it's a bit pushy, but I think being pushy is the only option we have. Sitting back and trying to co-exist peacefully and worrying about everyone's feelings isn't getting us anywhere (hmm, sort of like *coughObamacough*), and this billboard is meant to be an attention-grabber to those who aren't speaking up for themselves, or who are still in the closet. Because let's face it, no campaign or billboard is going to get through to a true believer.

Sure, but the burden of proof is on the believer, always.

I agree. Billboards for churches around here always get pushy and snobby saying things like you should be here..why aren't you. I figure at least this is getting attention. People hear the word atheist and they automatically assume bad person. We need good press. We need like all the atheists we can get to go do something amazing. Prove that we are not horrible evil people like they think we are.

I agree, its a bit pushy, but at least it is getting attention. People need to realize that our opinions matter to. I am sick of hearing Christians whine that they are attacked and people are out to get them. Christians have been pulling that string for years, for example the prayer in school thing. It seems like that when rules are made that favor everyone, that major religions have issues with it, especially Christians. Its like they feel personally attacked. They shouldn't because it isn't against the person. We just want to be heard and treated fairly as well. Our views aren't any better than theirs, and theirs isn't any higher up than ours. We all should be able to freely believe and practice what we want, without being told that we are constantly wrong.
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Squirrely's Avatar Member
^Agreed. Not to mention the fact that no one can stop a person from praying, no matter where they are! Ending sanctioned prayer in school is ending a form of discrimination and I have no patience or tolerance for any religious person who whines about being persecuted.

It cracks me up that folks think that without religion there would be no good in society. It's like they're openly admitting that their god is the only reason they're a good person, and I think the majority of them are just steamed that atheists/agnostics can be good people all on their own! I don't need the fear of the fiery pits of hell to know that I should be a good person, and neither should anyone else.

"You can spoil a child with presents, not presence." --unknown
December 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
Maybe it's just my area, but I've never seen a church billboard like that. I live in freakin church central too. All of our church billboards just say what kind of church it is and something like "We love everyone! Come visit!" I've never seen one that's pushy and crossing any lines.
Wow! ours are all the 'you'd better be like us, or you'll be burning in hell' kind lol

well of course, except for the UU. they are always nice.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
December 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaJones View Post
We need good press. We need like all the atheists we can get to go do something amazing. Prove that we are not horrible evil people like they think we are.

Not sure if she is helping yet, but Australia's new Prime Minister, our first female, Julia Gillard, is openly atheist.

Julia Gillard Admits Her Atheism

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search