So, I might get outed to DH's family on the news...

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This has been a pretty big controversy here as of late... News link with video: Nativity Scene Stirs State Vs. Church Controversy - Jackson News Story - WAPT Jackson

I'm not sure how it happened, but the FFRF in Wisconsin got a hold of a couple members of our little atheist meetup group, and a friend of mine who also is a friend of DH's since grade school (we didn't know he was an atheist until I bumped into him a meetup function) has volunteered to place the atheist signs in the capitol for the FFRF since they don't have any local representatives. He mentioned that he would really appreciate any of us who are willing and able to join him so he doesn't have to walk up those steps to the capitol alone, among likely protests and news cameras rolling. I had wanted to go, but my FIL is a lobbyist and does a lot of business in the capitol building and I hadn't brought it up to DH because I figured he'd be worried about me bumping into FIL there. It turns out that FIL is now working in another city and the likelihood of me bumping into him is extremely low and DH said today that he doesn't mind at all if I want to go and would actually like to see me there supporting our friend and our beliefs.

So there's a good chance I'll be on the news Monday evening, LOL. All my friends and casual acquaintances here know we're atheists, but DH's family does not (well, they might suspect, but we've never talked about it) and if they watch the news daily, I suppose this could out us to them. Religious controversy just in time for (and because of) Christmas, yay!

Oh well, gotta stand up for what we believe in and what's right, right?
December 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Right.
December 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
If the media is there, I am hoping that they do interview someone there so that we can get the message out that it's not so much that anyone finds the manger scene offensive because we really don't, what we find offensive is that it is placed in the capitol building which gives the impression that a particular religion, in this case Christianity, is endorsed and given special preference by the state government. The religious people who have been interviewed on the news and have been commenting all over the multiple stories on this (as well as news stations facebook pages) simply do not understand that we'd have NO problem with it if it were on private property. But the fact that it is on government property, paid for with our tax dollars just like theirs, is a misrepresentation of the taxpayers' beliefs. I don't understand why this is SO HARD for Christians here to understand, it's a simple concept really!

But, I haven't really heard that viewpoint expressed in the media, so I'd welcome the opportunity to set the local yokels straight about why atheists fight against these sorts of displays. They are so incredibly mistaken time and time again and think we're waging a "war on Christmas" every year. They couldn't be more wrong!
December 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Good luck tonight!!~!

December 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Well apparently the press wanted to be there but had the time wrong or something. They called my friend and one of the other members of our group who helped organize this around 10 saying they were just about to head over to the capitol, but nobody was still there at that point. There's some pictures of the sign up on the news websites and I *think* they did a phone interview with my friend after they realized they missed meeting him, so I'll be watching the news tonight... Which I just realized starts in 15 minutes.

The Christians sure are pissy in the comments on the stories though, LOL.
December 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i LOVE that sign!!! lol

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

December 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Did you end up seeing anything on the news?

December 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Nothing about my friend, a lady I know through the meetup group was on one of the stations explaining how it's only fair that we have our say too if they're going to insist on it being on government property. There have been multiple stories on all the local stations though, and plenty of ignorant hateful comments on the news facebook pages... I have enjoyed watching the atheists coming out of the woodwork to lay the smackdown on these people though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search