you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
my daughter came home with a FLIPPIN BIBLE!!! W.T.F.?!?!?!?!!

on downfall about living in this small town im surrounded by flippin bible thumpers!!!! UGH....i am SO NOT letting her have it!!!!! that thing i dont even want it in my flippin house!!!!!!!!!

she got it from one of her friends.....like really??? lets have your little kids try to push religion onto my children...grrrrrrrrrrr
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unacceptable. I'd find out which friend it was and give her mom a piece of my mind....
January 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
ugh now i got dh telling her she can read it....UGH seriously???? i would rather her learn more about religion first....then once she understands fully the concept of religion....then yes maybe then....cause i myself have read it....but really i dont find it acceptable at all that someone else gave this to her.......

but this thing was like 30 bucks!!! what parent in their right mind would buy a 30 dollar ANYTHING just to have their child give to their friend??? haha i think not.....i bet it was this kids and she didnt want it lmao....so she decided to pawn if off on MY kid

January 13th, 2011, 08:10 PM
How old is she? If she is old enough to understand that there are many different religions in the world and this is the teachings of just ONE of them, then I wouldn't see the harm in allowing her to read it. She'll probably get bored and/or frustrated with the language in no time anyway. I tried to read the whole bible once, it bored me out of my frickin' mind and I didn't get very far! LOL

If she is too young to understand that just because it's in a book doesn't necessarily make it true though, then I'd hold off for a while on letting her read it. If my kids want to learn about other religions and read their holy books, that's fine with me. I think if I were to prohibit the reading of such materials and teach them it's the atheist way or the highway, then I'd be no better than the religious people who indoctrinate their own children by not letting them explore any other ideas and cramming it down their throats as "the truth" from the get-go.

I'd still be pretty mad if some parent was handing their kid bibles to pass out to the godless children without their parents' consent though! I don't stick copies of The God Delusion in my kid's backpack to pass out, KWIM?
January 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would return it to the family who gave it to her.
January 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM
shes 10 years old...so she is def old enough to understand that its not the only religion and i did talk to her about it you should have seen her face when i explained the god concept to her....she looked dumfounded HAHA....i simply told her that a lot of people believe in god and that this god created the world....now she has seen MANY MANY shows about how the earth was created and about evolution...and she told me flat out that she doens't think a god created the world LOL

January 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Great! Sounds like you've got a little critical thinker from the get-go!
January 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I'm floored! What was the other kid thinking? Or the other kid's parents probably.
I would toss that right to the trash and encourage my daughter to find another friend. While I believe we should be respectful of all religions, respect is a two way street. No one should force their beliefs onto another person, especially not an impressionable child.
January 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
Wow, I'm floored! What was the other kid thinking? Or the other kid's parents probably.
I would toss that right to the trash and encourage my daughter to find another friend. While I believe we should be respectful of all religions, respect is a two way street. No one should force their beliefs onto another person, especially not an impressionable child.

I actually think just the opposite. Having friends from different faiths can be a very good thing. My best friend in the whole world is a very strong Christian woman. She is accepting and loves me for me, and that is what matters. If the friend makes her uncomfortable by always asking her to come to church even after the child says she doesn't attend, then maybe its time to cut the ties a bit. But telling the daughter to find a new friend will only single her out and make her feel she can't have friends from other faiths.

The other child may have given her the bible only because her parents taught her to spread the love, spread the teachings of Jesus, and at 9, kids think literally and want to share what they already know with someone that doesn't know the same information.

Now if the parents gave the bible to the child, then I would be outraged because an adult KNOWS that children can be manipulated to fit in and have friends, so that would make me more upset.

I think you should let your daughter keep it. I still have all of my bibles from when I was younger. They were gifts from family members that I love very much and at the time, I was too young to realize what they were giving me anyways.

I too tried to read the bible and became very bored so I am sure that her daughter would be the same way. If you want your children to learn respect then teach them early on that respect is something you give even if you don't get it back. Just the same as you want to be a good person even if others are mean to you. You don't do something bad just because someone does something bad first.
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, we get this sort of thing ALL of the time it seems with a couple of the kids.

Plain disgusting!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
January 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
i told her to ask her friend why she gave it to her and so she did and she said that her all her friend said was "because i like you" LOL so ehh whatever...she hasn't show any interest at all in reading it....but shes def a smart cookie and will ask questions if something doesn't make sense to her and i want to encourage all my kids to ASK QUESTIONS specially about religion and ask for evidence!

January 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
I don't agree with that for the reasons MommaJones stated. I don't think she should keep it if she doesn't want to, but don't throw it away. Donate it to a church or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaJones View Post
I actually think just the opposite. Having friends from different faiths can be a very good thing. My best friend in the whole world is a very strong Christian woman. She is accepting and loves me for me, and that is what matters. If the friend makes her uncomfortable by always asking her to come to church even after the child says she doesn't attend, then maybe its time to cut the ties a bit. But telling the daughter to find a new friend will only single her out and make her feel she can't have friends from other faiths.

The other child may have given her the bible only because her parents taught her to spread the love, spread the teachings of Jesus, and at 9, kids think literally and want to share what they already know with someone that doesn't know the same information.

Now if the parents gave the bible to the child, then I would be outraged because an adult KNOWS that children can be manipulated to fit in and have friends, so that would make me more upset.

I think you should let your daughter keep it. I still have all of my bibles from when I was younger. They were gifts from family members that I love very much and at the time, I was too young to realize what they were giving me anyways.

I too tried to read the bible and became very bored so I am sure that her daughter would be the same way. If you want your children to learn respect then teach them early on that respect is something you give even if you don't get it back. Just the same as you want to be a good person even if others are mean to you. You don't do something bad just because someone does something bad first.
ITA. I probably would have done the same thing at the age had my church strongly encouraged us too. They just see themselves being helpful, they don't think anything of it. I wouldn't address it with the child OR the parents unless it became habitual.
Honestly, I don't see the *huge* deal. This will probably happen again (if not many times, again) and you will have to find a way to deal with it just because the area you live in. You could tell your daughter "If you don't want it, just tell them no thanks." This is one of those situations where the first time it happened I would not have my daughter say anything. I would just have them say "Thanks for thinking of me. I'll look into it." If they bring it up again, then I would have my daughter address the issue. If she isn't interested, she can POLITELY let them know and leave it at that. If they continually harass her about it, then she can find a new friend. KWIM?

January 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
yeah im sure it'll keep happening and i dont want to tell her to find new friends cause that would be like me acting just like a biased hypocritical religious nut LOL heck most of MY OWN friends are religious....well actually almost every single one of them are....there are a few that are atheists but yeah most of them very religious...and raiannas best friends have all been religious...so that doesn't bother me....it just floored me when she walked into my house with a bible i was like UHHHH and was very concerned as to the reasoning behind it...cause i know some kids can be cruel....but at least i know it wasn't this kid trying to push anything on to her....but honestly i dont want her to read the bible at all til she has a better understanding of religion...personally i think all children are too young to read it and to fully grasp the meaning.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search