Has religion ever helped you?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious to see if anyone has ever been helped by either religion or a religious organization in any capacity?

In spite of my religious beliefs, or lack there of rather, I am thankful for an LDS hospital I was once in while pregnant with my DD. Had I remained at the county or local hospital the possibility of my DD whom I was merely 6 weeks pregnant w/at the time of my accident which was beyond serious, could have been taken as it was actually presented by an ER doc that my pregnancy be ended to enable me to live. Oh, and no I had no say in where I was or what was happening to me@that time being that I was in a coma. Luckily I was in the LDS hospital for all of my hospitalization minus the few hours spent in the ER@the local hospital as it is against their beliefs to abort or kill a fetus. (No, this is not meant to start an abortion debate or anything just wanted to state my reasons why I am happy and how I feel I was helped from a religion in a way.) Everyone thought that this instance would change my view and turn me to god, of course it did no such thing.

February 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope, not once that I can think of.

February 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Bible school (as a kid) was a great day to break up the monotony of a rainy summer day, even if it was boring as heck. Still better than sitting in the living room. That's abouuuuut it.
February 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went to a secular catholic school; and got a good education. Does that count?
February 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Kind of. It somewhat helped in high school. I drank & did drugs but once I got involved in church, I focused 100% on that. I didn't mess around anymore and finished high school ALIVE! I sometimes think if I hadn't gotten super religious in school, I might have died partying. I did a lot of stupid things.

February 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
hmm....nope can't think of a single thing
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Only that a bus for a church came to the complex I lived in as a kid, and we went there for something to do. Besides, when we brought new friends there, we got a cool new toy. Thats about it.

March 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalia20 View Post
Only that a bus for a church came to the complex I lived in as a kid, and we went there for something to do. Besides, when we brought new friends there, we got a cool new toy. Thats about it.
You got toys? All we got were full sized candy bars.....which is why I went as a young kid.

April 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Cali*Luvin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to a catholic high school education was good but thats about it. All my friends where going there as it was right on my street.

July 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Veteran
In a way it has.

I went to a Catholic high school and senior year, we were all required to go on a retreat called Kairos. During the retreat, the leaders would read stories about hard ships they went through and how they over came them (usually religiously).

In high school, I was one of those kids who though "My life sucks, no one understands me, everyone else has a much better life!"

Upon hearing many of the stories, this view completely changed. Some things the girls talked about included: Having no friends, having parents who expected way too much of them, losing a mother to cancer, suicide, cutting, neglect, sexual abuse, parent sexual abuse, the list could go on. Many of the girls telling these stories, you never would have expected and would have figured them to be the preps. We also got to hear stories from adults/teachers.

So I did go on a God high afterwards, but that eventually cooled down. But one thing that has stuck with me: Never judge anyone, you don't know what has gone on in their life or what they have been through. I became a lot nicer to people and more accepting of them.

My high school was an all girls Catholic School. It was great for me because women held all the positions of power. Our entire student council was made up entrirely of women. The principal and all the administrative positions were women, the most popular sporting events were womens sports. Also, we never felt the need to put on make up, fix our hair, shave our legs (all of us wore skirts all year round). The drill team even had a competition to see who could go the longest with out showering. We never felt the need to fix ourselves up for the men. It gave us a sense of empowerment.

Suprisingly, we had a very good and informative sex ed course. I was shocked that the public schools did not offer the same. We learned about birth control and its effectiveness (not the bs, they said that NFP had a very low success rate and that we would have better luck with the pill.)

We did have an all boys school next door, and we could take some classes there, and the boys could come over to our school for specific classes, but girls still did not feel the need fix themselves up for them. We had mixers on fridays with other schools so we could have the opportunity. When we got too college, many of us were disgusted at how many of the boys treated women and how many women giggled or totally accpeted the treatment. (women in the kitchen jokes yuck!)

Of course, you don't need a school to be Catholic for it to be all girls. But I suppose it would have to be private?

Last edited by Rinchan; July 17th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search