What brought you to Atheism?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2011, 08:38 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
I am curious to know what brought everyone here. Was it bad experiences with religion? Did your parents raise you this way? Was it something someone said that made you start looking into it? How did you know the choice was right?
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was not raised with religion. I was raised by a hippie mom and conservative dad so I was brought up with a pretty good view that religion is a very personal choice. I chose to attend Sunday school and church as a young child but never got much out of it. I started questioning religious heads in church from about 10 years old. I found that I was never given answers that made sense. I studied Wicca as a teen and found that while yes it fit me at the time I still did not feel right worshiping anything. I believe that I am at the right place because worship and religion to me is man's inability to grasp the world and handle life as it unfolds. That is to say that humanity for whatever reason would rather have something/someone to explain what they are or why they are instead of simply just being and accepting all faults and successes as their own. I'm perfectly happy knowing that I control my life and needn't rely on divine intervention for anything.

March 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Long story short, the lack of logic and constant contradictions.

March 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It was never that I was brought over to atheisim, I just always felt that this is where I belong. It makes more sense to me than the fables of religion.
March 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
A mixture of things. A long time doubting it mostly. My doubts were started by someone in college who I debated gay marriage with. It just "evolved" from there.

March 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was raised by an atheist and an agnostic, so religion was never a part of my life. I went to church occasionally with my grandparents when I was very little, but I remember nothing at all of the sermons except wishing it would hurry up and end so I could go play in the awesome playroom with the minister's son afterward. I don't really remember the first time I decided definitively that there was no god, but I do remember my best friend during high school jokingly telling people that I worshiped the devil and I always had to correct her about the fact that I didn't believe in the devil either so that was a dumb thing to say. I never really thought about religion much until I moved to the bible belt and was surrounded by it, which only strengthened and solidified my belief that religion and the existence of supernatural beings is completely illogical. Funny, the zealots' attempts at proselytising had the exact opposite effect that they intended.
March 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Nothing really brought me here. I think I've always been here. "Polite incredulity" might be a good way to describe how I always felt at church/VBS/youth group as a kid. Church was great for social networking, but the teachings never really compelled me. Junior high-ish??, I was down to just youth group, and the pastor who ran it totally killed it for me. He always seemed like such a cool guy, religious-ness aside, but the night he very offhandedly blamed the story of Sodom and Gomorrah on "the gays", I kinda figured enough was enough and stopped going entirely.
March 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Same as everyone else seems to be, religion just never made sense. Then as I got older, learned more about the world around me. Other religions, science, etc the fact that a god controls all this just seemed silly to me.

A local church last weekend had a seminar "Atheism's attack on America." I didn't get to go, but a friend went and brought back this nice quote from the christian speaker. "Science leads to knowledge and knowledge leads to atheism." It is just sad that he, and most of the people that were there, saw that as a bad thing.

March 10th, 2011, 06:25 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela View Post
Same as everyone else seems to be, religion just never made sense. Then as I got older, learned more about the world around me. Other religions, science, etc the fact that a god controls all this just seemed silly to me.

A local church last weekend had a seminar "Atheism's attack on America." I didn't get to go, but a friend went and brought back this nice quote from the christian speaker. "Science leads to knowledge and knowledge leads to atheism." It is just sad that he, and most of the people that were there, saw that as a bad thing.

Wow....is all I have to say. Well, maybe in a way he is saying we are all smart...take it as a compliment! LOL
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
yeah i def take that quote as a compliment!! haha and that quote is just saying that christians have no knowledge...lol too funny.....

anyway i was never religious...i used to "believe" in god...i use the term loosely cause really i never really knew what it meant....and then i just started looking into religion deeper and finding all sorts of wrongs with it...and how christians were supposed to be the most loving forgiving people.....which was hardly ever the case i think i only meet a few christians who could call themselves real christians.......and all the contradictions and the fact that it just didnt make any sense....

"Christianity: the belief that some cosmic jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because some rib woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple from a magical tree......Makes perfect sense"

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
for me, i tried to read the bible several times.. i just couldnt get into it, i felt like it was full of BS and lies.. Ive never been a believer. There was once a time where it hought maybe a higher power did exist.. when my sonw as born prematurely, and that he lived. However i was on some heavy drugs (magnesium sulfate and havey duty pain killers) and figured out after that it was modern medicine lol. But ive just always felt there was no god.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

March 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
"Christianity: the belief that some cosmic jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because some rib woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple from a magical tree......Makes perfect sense"
WIN
March 18th, 2011, 08:27 PM
SpydrMnky27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
yeah i def take that quote as a compliment!! haha and that quote is just saying that christians have no knowledge...lol too funny.....

anyway i was never religious...i used to "believe" in god...i use the term loosely cause really i never really knew what it meant....and then i just started looking into religion deeper and finding all sorts of wrongs with it...and how christians were supposed to be the most loving forgiving people.....which was hardly ever the case i think i only meet a few christians who could call themselves real christians.......and all the contradictions and the fact that it just didnt make any sense....

I can't wait to read this to DH when he gets home. lol You made my night!
April 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Cali*Luvin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was raised atheist and religion was never part of my life. Religion never made any sense to me. And thought it was all BS anyway.

April 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
I was raised mormon although we didnt really practice. I thought about the big questions in life like everyone does, Why are we here? Where are we going when we die? etc. I have always been a firm believer in science which obviously conflicts greatly with religious beliefs. It just kind of came together for me that those answers are so simple. We are nothing more than a product of millions of years of evolution. We life, we die, and that is it. There is no god, no devil, and no afterlife. The more thought I put into it, the more it made sense. No more unanswered questions!!

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search