Death and Tragedy Everywhere this week

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This has been an awful week. I guess it kinda started Friday. One of my first cousins was due with her first child at the end of April. She battled blood pressure issue before pregnancy and pregnancy only made it worse. She was on bed rest for the last month. Friday she was at 36 weeks so they induced her. It was a terrible labor that included 3 hours of pushing. When Xander Cole T. was born his cord was around his neck, he gasped twice and they were not able to revive him. 5lb9oz, same birth weight as his mother. His funeral was Monday.

It was terrible, that tiny little casket and all the talk of god taking him early and they would see him again. My uncle (baby's grandfather) told us that someone (I didn't catch who) was talking to Leah and Joseph (mom and dad) and said God would provide, they would get pregnant again and they would have whatever baby they wanted. Joseph wants twin boys. I stood there listening, screaming inside that it was all garbage, none of it made sense. But I said nothing, I know that is how they are dealing with this and loosing their faith would only make it harder on them. Personally having that faith, believing in that "loving god" that took my baby would only anger me, but that is me. Seeing her FB page, all the people "praying for god to give them strength" I would have unfriended my entire friend list by now, or gone off on all of them. But I know they feel they are helping, and the grieving parents in this case appreciate it.

Then one of my co-worker's grandmothers died. She was a great-great grandmother, in her 90's and has been very sick for a long time. So not really an unexpected death, but they are a very close family and are taking it hard. Her funeral was Tuesday.

Then an elderly client, who lost his wife at Christmas time, died this weekend as well. Another of my co-workers was very attached to him, she tends to gravitate to taking care of several of our elderly clients. She was never able to have kids and I think that is where she focuses that nurturing need. His funeral was Wednesday.

Today a third co-worker of mine, one year younger than me (she will be 30 this summer.) She has been having a health issue for several weeks. She went for a fully body CT scan today, they now think she has hodgkins lymphoma. She has a biopsy scheduled for tomorrow to confirm. She has one young son, 3.5 years and was actually trying to get pregnant again. Got pregnant last fall and miscarried. I couldn't help but think today that it may be a good thing she miscarried because right now she might have the decision, late term abortion to start chemo, or wait to treat, possibly even to diagnose (CT scan might not have been done yet) until pregnancy was complete.

Also pending whether it is good news or bad, DH's 15 year old sister went into premature labor and delivered her son yesterday at 32 weeks. So far he is doing ok, at least from her FB posts. From seeing things on here we all know how quickly that can change with a premie.

I am so ready for this week to be done, I know it won't make these event un-happen but I want some distance from them. Maybe next week will be a better week. Thanks for reading.

April 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG that is all so terrible, especially your cousin losing her baby! I can't imagine... I'd FLIP if people were spewing god stuff at me. So sorry to hear all of that.
April 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
How horrible. So much at one time, too. HUGS!!!

April 26th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Veteran
Oh that is sad.

One thing I wanted to say, was that my bestie had Hodgkin's Lymphoma last year. Apparently, if you are gonna get cancer, choose this one! 95% cure rate. My friend had 4 months of chemo (which of course caused menopause, so make sure your friend gets her eggs frozen) but she is now cancer free.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
April 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry for all the tragedy around you!
April 29th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The month has just kept going from there, but I won't keep listing deaths. My co-worker was officially diagnosed two days ago and is going to her consultation to start treatment next Wednesday. Thanks for the tip, I doubt she would freeze her eggs, if chemo makes her infertile she does have her one son.

Of course the tornadoes Wednesday topped it all off. They missed me and my family, though many of my family is out of power. But the death count just keeps climbing in the areas that were hit. I am so ready to be done with April and on to May Flowers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search