Religions making fun of other religions

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran
One my last clinical before graduation, it was around Ash Wednesday and a very interesting conversation took place between my clinical instructor (CI) and her co workers. For some background, my CI is a very devout methodist (I think) and the other workers were of protestant religions. They work at a Catholic based nursing home.

It was Ash Wednesday and they were making fun of the Catholic and all the "weird" things they believed. I was laughing in my head because I thought they things they believed in were strange too. (And Ironically, they're beliefs were simular to Catholics.) I wanted to say to them that they too believed in an invisible man in the sky. And my other thought wondered why they were working in a Catholic institution if they thought the belief system was weird.

Though I was also a little annoyed because another student who was Catholic, and they knew she was Catholic, was in ear shot of them. I thought it was very rude of them to talk negatively of her religion when she could clearly hear them. She was also in a vulnerable spot being a student.
July 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
I always find it funny when other Christians bash other Christians. They all believe in the same things. Its just that Catholicism goes to the extremes of hanging onto old pagan rituals, including the ashes on the head, the saints, mother Mary and candles/incense kind of stuff.

I think its very ironic that they choose to laugh at other religions, when theirs is just as silly. And rude that they did so in front of another person who believes in that stuff. But it seems as though for some reasons, Christians especially feel its okay to bash or laugh at other religions, when theirs is the biggest joke of them all.
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 31st, 2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran
I forgot to mention that this was also said in from of patients who were in therapy. Patients that may have been Catholic.

I think it is very unprofessional for a therapist to bring up religion or politics in front of their patients. Many of them are going through hellish treatment. They do not need to hear someone bashing their views or beliefs. And in school, we are taught to tolerate any belief, ideology, political views that our patients may hold no matter how crazy we feel they are. (Mental health is very fun) Apparently these therapists must have missed that class...

But many of them were on power trips. It came to the point where you just had to play their game to pass. One time I was asked my religion (also very innappropriate to ask anyone!) and I just lied and said non denominational Christian. No way would I have told them that I was a non believer because I did not need them coming down hard on me for such a stupid reason. And I just wanted to finish up that rotation and get out of there.

But they all believe in Jesus. Who cares if some like to put ashes on their head, light incense, worship Mary ect...

I did report many of the incidents to my field work coordinator and she said that she will not be sending any more students there.

Last edited by Rinchan; July 31st, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
August 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Creating a hostile work environment. That's enough to get you fired and sued around here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search