Vampires

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran
Here is a very weird topic and something that you almost had to have been there to believe.

I'm a nerd and I hand out at anime and video game cons. And you meet a lot of very *interesting* people. And you have people that get way into their fandoms.

To get to the point, a few weeks ago, I was at a con and I attended a vampire panel. I like mythical creatures and I thought this would be a academic panel and they would be discussing the origins of the vampire legend, how vampires are different in other cultures. And by the way, I hate Twilight and True Blood. I like evil vampires.

This was not an academic panel. This was a panel for people that actually think they are vampires. They were discussing how vampire racism (I'm sorry, but if you are coming to kill me so that you can have eternal life, I'm not going to like you very much!), effective ways of sucking a willing persons blood. (I learned that some of them do suck their friends blood, sounds unsanitary and a bit creepy), some told stories of how they became vampires, why they have a right to feed on humans. They also mentioned a vampire festival that was coming up.

Ok at first I thought they were RPing. But I became suspicious when someone burst out crying during the racism discussion. After the panel I asked another girl who attended if she really thought she was a vampire. She got up into my face and asked if I had a problem with that. Hopefully they were just RPing and were very good at it.

I should have backed out of that panel slowly, but it was all so weird that I had to stay and listen.

These weren't just teenagers either. There were teens, and people in their twenties and thirties at the panel who thought they were vampires.

Has anyone heard of these vampire cults? Is there witch, wizard, and werewolf cults too? I know there are jedi cults where people talk about using the force.
August 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never heard of it. But it sounds very interesting. I guess it's not surprising as people can delude themselves into believing all sorts of crazy things.

Do they actually believe they will live forever? I guess I could see people liking the culture and even thinking they get some benefit from drinking blood. But if they think they are immortal or will be burned by holy water then they are nuts!
August 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
I've never heard of it. But it sounds very interesting. I guess it's not surprising as people can delude themselves into believing all sorts of crazy things.

Do they actually believe they will live forever? I guess I could see people liking the culture and even thinking they get some benefit from drinking blood. But if they think they are immortal or will be burned by holy water then they are nuts!
I didn't ask any of them. They probably believe it though. With the blood drinking, I hope to God they are not sucking the blood from someone's neck.

You can find some very nutty people at conventions. There are women who are very much in love with cartoon, anime, TV, and video game characters. They do not simply have a crush, some go as far as drawing X rated pictures of them and the character, getting into huge fights with other women in love with the same character, writing fanfiction pairing themself up with said character. These women really believe that a fictional character loves them. Some guy in Japan even got a legal marriage to a character from a dating game.

Man marries videogame character in Japan (first-ever man/game wedding) Boing Boing TV - YouTube

And of course, you have the 30/40 year old basement dwellers and the people that really blur the line between LARPing and delusion.
August 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry but I would have laughed them out of the convention.

I guess I'm a vampire racist!
August 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran
Thing is, there is already a lot of weird people at conventions. It's not the place to be if you want to hang around your typical crowd of people. And I'd be worried about laughing at someone who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
September 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to have friends like that, thought they were vampires and could kill people just with their minds, can control the weather, do magic, etc. They aren't friends anymore obviously

September 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
That is just really....weird. But, eh, to each his own right? As long as they don't try to suck my blood

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search