The Duggars parenting style

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Veteran
So in recent news, Michelle Duggar is pregnant with her 20th child. Selfishly, I am not happy for her because I recently lost my first. But that isn't what this is about.

Does anyone else have issues with the way they raise their family? I have seen the show a few times, and one episode that I was completely appauled at was the one where they visited the Creation Museum. They interviewed the children who made such claims as; The earth is only 6,000 years old, science doesn't support evolution, the bible is more scientifically accurate.

Keeping that in mind. The parents shelter their kids. They are only allowed to mingle with other families that share their own values. I fear the day these kids run into a gay person because I can't imagine the homophobic things that will come out of their mouth. They are homeschooled, need chaperones to go on dates, are not allowed to even kiss their SO until their wedding day, they are not allowed to watch TV, and they are not exposed to different points of view. I don't know if these kids will ever become real friends with anyone outside of their beliefs.

That and due to their religion, their girls must wear skirts and are not allowed to wear pants, if they see a woman that so much as bares her shoulders, one of the younger girls must jump in front of that woman and yell "nike" so that the boys look down at the ground until the evil seductress passes out of sight. And I guess because of their religion, only the girls must partake in child care, cooking, and cleaning? It also sounds like that the women are taught to submit to men and that Jim Bob is the head of the house until they are married off. I feel like they are all expected to be married off, have kids, and become houeswives like their mother. Not that there is anything wrong with being a stay at home mother or house wife, but I feel that these girls aren't given a choice in the matter or at least, made to feel like they do not have a choice.

So yeah, the religion and science. I feel that it is a bit wrong to teach those children that the earth is only 6,000 years old and that evolution is false. There is so much evidence backing evolution, and I know many christians who believe in it. These kids looked like total morons on TV after spouting their nonsense and I doubt that they even really understand the concept. It's not as simple as we came from apes (Which is how Jim Bob described it). What's worse is that they are not even exposed to different points of views. It's all, the bible is fact.

I feel bad because one of the girls wants to be a nurse. And in one episode, it looks like she is going to college online. requires hands on experience which she will not get using an online course.

I also don't appreciate the gender roles in the family. The older girls are expected to help the mom out full time with raising the younger kids. And it doesn't help that she keeps popping them out. This lifestyle is almost forced upon them. What would Michelle have done if all the older siblings were boys?

If one of the kids turns out to be gay, I really fear for him or her. I know there are other families out there like them, but they chose to make their lives public.

Last edited by Rinchan; November 20th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
November 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Super Mommy
I don't really like their style of parenting. As for the online program she will probably going through a very christian college and will be expected to go on school based student nursing mission trips several times through out her college experiences to complete her clinical. As for their home schooling it's a very independent computer based program so online college makes since. The Christian based program the Duggars use are actually used in several public virtual charter school with chapters/ words omitted in public schools. This really scare me.

If one of the kids are gay I'm betting they will get disowned not just from their immediate family but her extended family is fundamentalism christian but not quiverfull.
November 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The Duggars political beliefs scare me more than their religion. They want all birth control banned and abviously are very, very pro-life even in cases of rape or if the mother's life is in danger.

Their parenting? Well one positive the show has done is opened their eyes to society a bit. If you re-watch their first special from about 7 years ago you will see that they have changed A LOT. They are MUCH more mainstream now than before. They were 100% sheltered and cult like in the first special.
Because of this, I have hope that at least most of them will go on to be decent members of society. Also they are around others who aren't nearly as religious. The oldest boy married a girl who has family who don't follow the religion at all. Once in awhile they show their cousin Amy who is not as sheltered either.

It's the people with their beliefs, who are not on TV, who scare me.
November 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think their style is abusive.
December 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
I think their style is abusive.
I think what they are doing to their children is cruelty. I am so thankful that I grew up in a home where my parents supported me no matter what. And they allowed me to grow my own wings and develop my own beliefs. And they still support me emotionally regardless. It's so sad to me when I see people this sheltered, not given the opportunity to find their own independence. Religion, especially when it's so extreme, is so scary to me. I just can't imagine living life the way these people do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search