Santa?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By MommaJones
  • 2 Post By Rinchan
  • 1 Post By kathydavid
  • 1 Post By AmyMcLiz
  • 1 Post By Spider123

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this is kind of tangential to religious beliefs, but...

How do you ladies deal with Santa? DS is too young to understand anything this year, but I'm thinking forward to next year. Daycare had "Santa" visit today. I don't know what I'm going to do when DS starts expecting Santa presents. I'm not sure I want to buy into the whole Santa thing, but I don't want to upset him or cause difficulties with the other children. I guess it is harmless, but I don't see myself being a very good pretender. I don't know why. I am fine with other make believe stuff, but for some reason Santa just gets under my skin.

Thank you Vicki!

December 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
We let the kids believe in Santa. To us, it is kind of a society based ritual....it has no religious feelings in our house. Just a fat guy who lives at the North Pole. but my kids aren't stupid---my son who just turned 8 has asked if he really does exist. We plan on this being the last year of Santa as they are old enough to get it now.
Maggie1975 and tmac like this.
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran
I'm the odd person out here because I am not a mom. (The only reason I post here is because I was expecting my first back in the summer but miscarried, now TTC)

But I know someone who just calls it a "game". They haven't really told their kids is Santa exists or not but treat it like a game that they play every Christmas. That way their kids can play along with all the other kids.

Not sure how I am going to handle it with my kids. I believed in Santa when I was a child and I had a lot of fun with it. I wasn't upset at my parents when I found out he wasn't real nor did I cry. I was actually relieved because I didn't have to be good all year round

I will say that working with Kindergardeners, the Santa thing is a God send around the holidays. Great way to get rowdy kids to behave.
JustLiz and tmac like this.
January 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
IMO Santa is a character associated with the Christmas holidays, which we celebrate in a cultural and secular manner. So I don't encourage actual belief in a Santa who brings presents but I'm ok with Santa being omnipresent.. less obnoxious than Christmas music!

January 19th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Same as Jintana

Here the kids don't believe in Santa, but they know what Santa is.
A character associated with christmas, as ghost and pumpkins are to halloween.
They know it's not real and it's someone in costume.

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

February 23rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Kids only believe for a short while so I am all for it. It is totally a secular creation and people don't worship him or fight wars in his name - so I am cool with him.
April 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Iknow this is an old post but I wanted to chime in..LOL..I grew up in a non religious home and I am raising my kids the same..but I totally play up santa every yr..not as a religious thing at all but as something fun for the kids..Its great watching them get all excited but I think my oldest is starting to figure it out..Thats going to be a sad day..LOL

April 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Regular
I don't really have a problem with the whole Santa thing. It just seems like a fairly harmless thing, especially since they probably won't start bothering with questions until they're older.
tmac likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
AmyMcLiz's Avatar Proud mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiSumah View Post
Same as Jintana

Here the kids don't believe in Santa, but they know what Santa is.
A character associated with christmas, as ghost and pumpkins are to halloween.
They know it's not real and it's someone in costume.
I agree. I'll treat it no differently than any other holiday character.
tmac likes this.

Mommy of Zane
Hoping to have #2 in 2015!

August 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I love Santa. I love Christmas. I am that person that is already planning for Christmas.

But!

I think it's just more fun. I knew Santa wasn't real, but it was still fun. Awesome wintery, Christmasy stories. I think when I started asking questions I ended up writing a letter to this Santa person. My mom wrote a letter and put a picture of a Santa caught in the act on it. The next year she used my stepdad's work boots and some powdered sugar to make it look like Santa had tracked snow into the house from the fireplace to the tree. My mom still puts 'To:Shaye From: Santa' on my presents. It's just fun holiday spirit.
November 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
We will do the Santa thing. It's just for fun and I see no harm in it.

November 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
We do Ma Ingalls' version of Santa (On the Banks of Plum Creek, by Laura Ingalls Wilder) so the five year old knows it's a concept and not a person. Sometimes we suck at keeping the gifts anonymous because we have such different interests that it's not hard to figure out that Star Wars stuff is from big brother and stuffed dogs are from Grandma, etc.

I loved it and so did my older kids, but I think my parents were traumatized by the "naughty and nice" crapola growing up during the '30s because they always worry about it too much and give the kids way too many toys.
tmac likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search