Vent

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 07:09 AM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
I am very new here but mentioned before that I grew up in a very Catholic house. My parents are still very into the whole Catholic thing (I view it as brainwashed). Anyway, to make my parents happy, I did the whole Catholic Church wedding (even though my parents were traumatized that my DH had never been baptized and only a visiting priest from South Africa would marry us) and had the first three of my kids baptized until I grew a backbone.

Anyway, we live thousands of miles away from our families now. My mom came to stay while DH was away on a business trip. I had to run out to the store to get something and when I got there, realized my purse was not where I usually keep it. Called my mom to see if it was at home. She found it.

One day after she left, she called and was talking to my 4 year old. 'Tell mommy who helped us find her purse'. My son didn't answer so she kept saying it. Finally he says 'God'. I shuddered and quickly got him off the phone.

Next time she called, she says to him, did you tell mommy who helped find her purse? I said 'yeah you said that the last time'. She says, 'tell mommy how we held hands and prayed'. OMG, seriously????

So then, yesterday, my two younger ones are talking and the 7 year old asked if God is a real person, I said no. Youngest one says, 'he is because Grandma showed me a picture when she was here'.

I can not talk to my mom about this because she is so narrow minded when it comes to this -- it is the Catholic way, or no way but I just needed to vent to people who understand.
April 22nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sucks. I'm sorry she did that.
April 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly my family knows how I feel about this entire thing and I don't think any of them would every try to force feed stuff on my kids..Although when my mom passed away in june we knew that growing up she was catholic even though she sort of gave it up as an adult but for her husbands sake we allowed her to receive last rights..But yea..if anyone continually tried that on my kids I'd flip a lid..LOL

April 27th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Regular
That's really unfortunate. I'm really glad my parents and grandparents, especially, live so far away so it's not a major concern for us.
April 27th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Veteran
Sorry that happened to you She had no right to push religion on your kids. I think my MIL would do the same thing. (Though she actually has done it with her other grand child.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search