your moral and ethical code

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Where do your ideas on right and wrong come from?
August 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IMO, rights and wrongs are very subjective and can be impacted by a number of things, including cultural environment, instinct, need for order, etc. So my ideas come from all of these and then some. What's 'right' for me as an American woman in the 21st century was far from right for, say, a Hindi woman in the 16th century.
August 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM
ManInTheMoon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
IMO, rights and wrongs are very subjective and can be impacted by a number of things, including cultural environment, instinct, need for order, etc. So my ideas come from all of these and then some. What's 'right' for me as an American woman in the 21st century was far from right for, say, a Hindi woman in the 16th century.[/b]
So, you think it's all relative? There's no such thing as "the truth"? My Dh and I get into this conversation every once in a while. He says truth is relative, and I just disagree. I guess this is the one thing I have yet to resolve because in a way, it's inconsistant with my other beliefs. My mom used to argue with me on this point too saying that if I believe in a "universal truth" than I have faith, because there is no proof for such a thing. It's just and idea. But it seems to me that there is a true right and wrong and we just need to figure it out.

Say you lived in the days of slavery. It was accepted and legal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's even anything in the Bible condemning slavery. Does that make it any less wrong? I think it was as wrong then as it is now.

My dh likes to use killing as an example of truth being relative. He says, "Thou shalt not kill, right? Well, what about in self-defense? Or what about if a person really deserves it? Think about how you'd feel if someone tortured and brutally murdered our dd?" My response is that if everyone was doing what was right, there'd be no need to kill. So, although it may be justified, it doesn't make it right. You know, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Killing is always wrong.

Still, I can trip myself up when I think about animals. Animals kill other animals for food, and I just can't see that as wrong. And so I use it to justify my own carnivorous eating habits, even though I'm totally conflicted about it because sometimes I think our level of consciousness should raise us above that. We don't need to eat meat, but I love steak and burgers, etc.

Anyway, back to the original question, my simple answer is my conscience. Obviously there's more to it, but I've written enough.

August 13th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'm somewhat of a relativist. I'll try to explain my position a little (this is tough).

Quote:
Say you lived in the days of slavery. It was accepted and legal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's even anything in the Bible condemning slavery. Does that make it any less wrong? I think it was as wrong then as it is now.[/b]
I see what you're saying here and I agree with that point. The relativity comes into play when you're asking how I get my individual sense of what's right and wrong. The reason I feel it's wrong to enslave someone is because of my life experiences and humanistic views. If I came into being in a different situation, my views, and therefore my sense of right and wrong, may be different. KWIM?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search