Just a bit of rambling

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmyMcLiz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
So...technically my family is Catholic. We belong to a church or parish or whatever. We don't participate in religious rituals though.
SO likes the idea of having godparents. It's not a bad thing. But that kind of requires a baptism and that means religious stuff that I'm not sure I want to have my child go through. I'm just not interested in pushing that on them. So we're going to have a similar version of godparents, but without the god part.

I don't think I really view myself as atheist. Maybe I'm more agnostic (I believe more in science. Matter, energy, big bang theory, evolution, the stuff that is in science books). I'm not going to tell my kid there is or isn't a god or some other higher power. If they want to pursue a religion or belief when they get older, they have my full support.

And now thinking about this, I'm wondering if it's going to be more difficult to parent that way rather than sticking with the Catholic upbringing where there is a reason and biblical reference for every single little thing. I still don't want to push any religion or belief on them. Explaining to them (should they ask) that everyone has their own beliefs should be okay, right?

Oh man. If I'm a worry wart about this now, I'm going to be overwhelmed when bun gets here next year.

Any other parents struggled with this kind of worry?
November 8th, 2013, 01:17 PM
AmyMcLiz's Avatar Proud mommy
Will it be more difficult raising a child without the traditional religion? Probably. But, I feel like a lot of parents use religion as an "easy" way to get their kids to behave. Easier isn't better, and kids don't come with instructions. Instead of saying "the bible tells us....", you have to actually address the problem and help the child understand how to be a good person because they WANT to be, not because they HAVE to be.
I think it's great that you are wanting to let your child be open to believe what he/she discovers for him/herself. I was brought up in a Catholic home, too, and it seemed like my entire life was already planned out for me. I don't want that for my children, and I want to raise them with options and understanding.
tmac likes this.

Mommy of Zane
Hoping to have #2 in 2015!

November 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
Very true. I'm not really liking the idea of pounding the bible or the idea of god into my child's head. That just seems like more of a fear tactic. The whole catholic way of thinking 'be good or you'll burn forever!' just has me wanting to avoid any of the traditional religious mess.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search