Proselytizing

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering how some of you handle proselytizing.....like the JW's that knock on your door every so often, well-meaning friends that want to help you "find your way", or any other forms of it...? (biblical readings in trick-or-treat bags, etc...)

Do you entertain their discussion? If so, do you find it often becomes a one-sided discussion? (i.e. they're not hearing you, but rather waiting for their turn to talk)

I personally went through a phase of debate and debunking at every opportunity, but have found that to ultimately be rather useless and so have resigned myself to just letting them have their views and I'll have mine....otherwise I'd be just as bad as them and start proselytizing atheism. Same sh*t, different brand, basically.
August 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to look for those opportunities to argue. but not anymore. for one thing, no one's tried to convert me in i don't know how long. for another, i've come to try to see things from their POV. if they honestly believe i'm going to be tortured eternally, then it's their moral duty to do everything they can to stop me.

yes, it's annoying, but they do it with good intentions.

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
August 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends, if it's just a random encounter with someone I will just find a way to escape the conversation. If it's someone I know or find myself always running into, I may sit down with them and discuss; I find if I do not make myself clear and point out my arguments, they will just keep cornering me with their speeches (if it's someone I am around a lot) Usually after a few logical arguments on my part against their beliefs they will see that nonlogic doesn't work with me and I'm a pretty futile person to try and preach to
August 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Usually when the JW come to my door I just tell them I don't believe in it.

Last time they came I was just waiting for DH to get home from work so we could head to the hospital and have the baby and I said "sorry, I'm about to have a baby" and they looked freaked out and left.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search