30 Days

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did anyone catch Morgan Spurlock's show "30 Days" last night?

For those who don't know: It's on the FX channel on Wednesdays. Last night, an Atheist mother of 3 moved in with a Cristian family for 30 days. I think the woman of the Christian family opened up her mind enough to have learned the human side of the Atheist woman. Her husband was not quite as open.
August 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
don't have fx.

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
August 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
ManInTheMoon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I did! I feel like writing to them and thanking them for that program!

Did you hear them say that atheists were the least trusted minority group? Hurts, doesn't it? And I'd heard that 51% of Americans believe that you can't be moral without a belief in God. Is it any wonder I sometimes feel like an alien on this planet? So alone and misunderstood? It really makes me want to throw up. And it's scary!

Anyway, I thought that women did a pretty good job of breaking down the stereotypes, but I wished she'd done a better job of telling them what she does believe. That was the husband's complaint. I don't think he thought she believed in anything! And the people in the bible study group were trying to ask her where she thought we came from. She just repeated that she didn't think there was a creator. I so badly wanted to come to her aid and tell her what I believed! It must have been so hard to be the only person to represent all of athiests. ALthough I really loved when she took the couple to her "church". I think it really shed light on how we are opressed. That guy wouldn't even answer the question of how he would feel if "There is no God" was printed on his money. And I am so, so tired of hearing, "If you don't like it, leave!" Grrr!

August 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yes, I did! I feel like writing to them and thanking them for that program!

Did you hear them say that atheists were the least trusted minority group? Hurts, doesn't it? And I'd heard that 51% of Americans believe that you can't be moral without a belief in God. Is it any wonder I sometimes feel like an alien on this planet? So alone and misunderstood? It really makes me want to throw up. And it's scary!

Anyway, I thought that women did a pretty good job of breaking down the stereotypes, but I wished she'd done a better job of telling them what she does believe. That was the husband's complaint. I don't think he thought she believed in anything! And the people in the bible study group were trying to ask her where she thought we came from. She just repeated that she didn't think there was a creator. I so badly wanted to come to her aid and tell her what I believed! It must have been so hard to be the only person to represent all of athiests. ALthough I really loved when she took the couple to her "church". I think it really shed light on how we are opressed. That guy wouldn't even answer the question of how he would feel if "There is no God" was printed on his money. And I am so, so tired of hearing, "If you don't like it, leave!" Grrr![/b]

Yes!
That was news to me, about being the least trusted minority group....WTH? That is one scary fact...the people would blindly get behind a common criminal that believes in god before they would get behind me. Sad, sad, sad. And I too am tired of the "If you don't like it, leave" crap. Especially since they hold certain other beliefs that are NOT shared with the majority in this country, like having to be saved. I wonder how they would like it if the tables were turned?

So frustrating at times
August 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just watched this today and what really bothered me was the husband could not grasp that her family was being raised as good, moral people. Apparently you can teach your children to be good and to love without teaching them to love Jesus?

August 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
Did anyone catch Morgan Spurlock's show "30 Days" last night?

For those who don't know: It's on the FX channel on Wednesdays. Last night, an Atheist mother of 3 moved in with a Cristian family for 30 days. I think the woman of the Christian family opened up her mind enough to have learned the human side of the Atheist woman. Her husband was not quite as open.[/b]
Wow, I had no idea they did a show on that, I just checked Tivo and I have it!. I love "30 Days", every show has managed to change my opinions. The Christian living with the Muslims was one of my favorites.

The TV show "Wife Swap" swapped an atheist wife with a preacher's wife last year, but the show was incredibly edited out of context to twist both sides. The atheist wife was the wife of Reginald Finley, AKA: InfidelGuy, who runs InfidelGuy Radio. They have a lot of great content on the website available for free, including videos and audio discussions. Wednesday night is a live discussion (1 hour) with atheist/ex-pastor Biblical scholar and author Dr. Robert M. Price and author Joseph Atwill, discussing the origins of the New Testament. If you get a chance, check it out.

smt

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with InfidelGuy, I just like the shows.
August 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Kath M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have watched it twice now. Once this weekend and I recorded it and watched it with my husband again (he was out of town). I agree with you Fingerscrossed, I wanted to get in there and speak for this woman at some points during the show. I don't think she was making her points the way she could have. I think they wanted to pick someone who was a mother and soft spoken and had good morals and all that stuff, not get someone in there that would "preach" right back but I really thought she could have done a better job explaining how evolution and science are a backbone to build a belief system off of. I thought the christian wife was definately more open than her husband. He seemed to be happy to follow and not question anything. I love 30 days...it is such a great show. The immagration one was good too.

August 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Daddy
I agree, I would have liked to see her "debate" more stuff, but I think part of it is that she was stuck with them for a whole month and that may have been a little too stressful day in and day out.

The one thing I noticed different about this show is that when they bring a single person into another family's house it is usually to get the single person to try and understand the family's POV, by this time it appeared to be the opposite setup.
August 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Kath M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yah I noticed this too. DH asked me before he watched it "so did she turn into a Christian". And in fact, it was kind of the opposite take. I think the show is pretty liberal and it seems to take that side the homosexual show, the "green living" show, the immigration. They were all to sway the person who was against these things. Pretty cool that the atheist escaped with her beliefs intact.

August 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Next episode: Pro-choice feminist goes to live at a pro-life maternity home. Should be interesting.

smt

Disclaimer: This is not a comment on abortion any beliefs relating to abortion.
August 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
This was the only episode I have ever seen of this show - my Tivo recorded it as a suggestion - and I found it very interesting. I have it saved now to share with friends who missed it.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Next episode: Pro-choice feminist goes to live at a pro-life maternity home. Should be interesting.

smt

Disclaimer: This is not a comment on abortion any beliefs relating to abortion.[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search