Secular Pre-schools?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone lucky enough to have these in your town/city?

There are NONE here...which is why none of my kids went to preschool.....I homeschooled them instead of paying for preschool with a religious slant.
August 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hey, this thing seems to be doing well right now so i'm trying to post some.

i'm not sure about secular pre-schools in my area. I do know that a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a job as a pre-school teacher, most that I inquired about were religious in nature. The position I ended up accepting was pretty much secular except for a small prayer they said before eating: "thank you for the world so sweet. thank you for the food we eat. thank you for the birds that sing. thank you, God, for everything." But that one was $$$$. (Many parents drove jags & beamers.) I had the 4 and 5 year-olds. I think they charged $700 a month for them. The babies were $900 a month.

I don't agree with the word "God" in the prayer, but I think it's mild. I try to see it as just being grateful for all the beautiful things in the world--not necessarily to a being. If I had a child there, that's what I would teach them about it, anyway.

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
August 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
ManInTheMoon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The ECFE has preschool classes. It's basically community ed. It's cheap too! Guess I'm lucky.

How old are your kids Kelly? How long do you plan to homeschool?

August 12th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kevin is 10 (just starting 5th grade). Marissa is 7 (2nd grade) and then Ava. I pre-schooled Kev & Ris, then they entered public schools where they both thrived. Ris is still in the PS and doing fine. I just pulled Kev out at the close of last year due to a few issues he had that haven't been resolved over 2 school years.

The first was that the middle school in our district BLOWS. The school didn't meet the standards of Dubya's NCLB act. Then, he comes home throught the school year telling us about certain biblical stories being told by the school librarian....strike 2. Then, he got stabbed in the arm in the cafeteria (with a pencil) by another student for accidentally stepping on his foot. He came home with a patch on his arm that day and told me what happened. The other student was suspended, but the school never saw fit to call me and tell me any of this!!

So, Kevin and I are going to try this for as long as he wants and as long as he does well with it.

When Marissa is old enough to attend that school, we'll see what happens. She says she'll probably want to homeschool too, but she goes back and forth with it right now.

I looked into changing schools for them, but we'd have to pay a hefty tuition ($12,000 per child) and they wouldn't be allowed to do sports. At least with the homeschooling, our district still allows them to participate in extra-curriculars if they want to. I'm excited to start (we're starting on Monday). It is nice to be able to totally customize a curriculum too!

We'll see how it goes.
August 12th, 2006, 10:02 PM
ManInTheMoon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My gosh! Sorry you've had such a bad experience with the middle school! It really doesn't seem like you have a whole lot of other options, either.

I taught my dd more than her preschool ever did. She already knew her colors, numbers, letters, etc. before she got there. I also taught her all the sounds of the letters and how to read and write a handful of words before kindergarten. We did the preschool thing for the social aspect. She was an only child until Ren was born and we didn't know any of the kids in the neighborhood when we first moved here. (Incidentally, she's turning 7 and going into 2nd grade just like your dd! I'm amazed at all we've got in common!)

Anyway, I know they've got really good resources for parents for homeschooling now, but I just don't think I'd feel comfortable homeschooling my kids past grade school. I wouldn't feel qualified for the job -- especially when it comes to math. Plus, it's a lot of work with a new baby. My hat's off to you! I can see how it'd be fun, though. I used to want to be a teacher and I have a ball teaching Aurora new things. Have fun and good luck this year!

August 13th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I grew up in Panama with a national religion (catholic)....every school had religion in it...each and every one unless it was a private school (which were all protestant and jewish). God was everywhere from the DMV (cross on the wall and prayer cards for safe driving) to the airport to the grocery store to, of course, schools.

I thought moving to America would get rid of a lot of that...well, it hasn't happened (especially with the current administraion)! All the preKs here are religious as well.

OUr oldest is only three and is not attending a Prek yet. I really have no idea what we will do when we get to that time 1 year from now...
August 15th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Daddy
We had every intention of sending our children to a preschool at a church we attended, then we had a sort of falling out with the church and later my "deconversion". I really didn't know what we would do, but then we were at a local park that has a co-op preschool and I checked it out and thought "That is where I want to go to school!". It was all about activities for the kids and nothing like the sterile church preschool we thought we would use. One more month and our first kid starts there

smt
August 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
kadydid
I have actually just started thinking about this. There is a secular Montessori school in one town (but it is a bit of a drive) and a few others. Luckily I live in Oregon and if you look at the religion map, (ha ha) we are pretty Non Religious!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search