Favorite philosopher

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's been my experience that many atheists and agnostics are fairly familiar with a number of philosophers.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

-and/or-

What's your favorite philosophical quote?
August 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So many!!

A few on religion:

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature."
Albert Einstein

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal

"Opposing one species of superstition to another, set them a-quarreling; while we ourselves, during their fury and contention, happily make our escape into the calm, though obscure, regions of philosophy."
David Hume

_____

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"
-Aristotle
August 15th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like and agree with a lot of Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy, but there are others that I like bits and pieces from as well.

Here are some of my favorite quotes....

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

"It is nobler to declare oneself wrong
Than to insist on being right - especially when one is right"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is"
- Albert Camus

and some from my favorite....

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it."

“Atheism is a non-prophet organization”

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity”

-All from George Carlin
August 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
kadydid
Hi ladies, bout time they made an atheist/agnostic board!

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
~Stephen Roberts

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

~Albert Einstein
August 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Not really a philosopher, but anthropologist Ernest Becker's book "Denial of Death" really helped me to understand why people have religious beliefs. That was key for me being able to break free from religion.

I love listening to Richard Dawkins, a biologist and one of the more vocal atheists, and Daniel Dennett, Professor at the Center for Cognitive Studies, Tufts University.
August 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recently came across this Gandhi quote, and I love it!

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search