I am Wiccan....but...there was no spot for me.

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Well, I am Wiccan, but Agnostic was the closest thing listed to my religion. Someone told me about Justmommies, and specifically said there was a Wiccan/Pagan spot here, I have not seen it, but I really like the whole place from what I have seen, anyway, About me? Read my siggy, lol. Thanx for listening, and any help you can give me to direct me to the right place would be great!
August 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
irishxrose
Hiya!!

That's also why I am on this particular board... they don't have a Pagan/Wiccan board *soon, I hope*, so I just hang out here.
August 16th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Mega Super Daddy
Can either of you give a quick rundown on what the beliefs are for a Pagan/Wiccan?
August 16th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! As I mentioned before somewhere...I studied a few different Paganish traditions myself (Thelema mostly). I look forward to your contributions here!
August 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Quote:
Can either of you give a quick rundown on what the beliefs are for a Pagan/Wiccan?[/b]
Well, it does differ for each person, because there are just so many forms of Witchcraft/Paganism, there really is no cut and dry about what we believe...BUT...I can tell you what I believe, lol.

I believe that there is a higher power...a "Diety" (hmm, not sure if I spelled that right, it looks odd, lol) and they way to contact them, is through the God and the Goddess, this higher power is not accessable or known to the living, but it answers our prayers/spells. There are many different Gods and Goddesses....one of our more famous Gods is what is now the Devil in Christianity....don't take that the wrong way, we are not Devil Worshipers....there is no such thing as the Devil, he was made up by the Christians to persuade people away from the old religion (ours) and into theirs. This "Devil" is our horned God, a very un-devil-like God. He is the God of horned animals...deer...antilope...you get the picture. MANY of our "traditions" were stolen by Christians...then either twisted against us, or formed into their own traditions....St. Valentine....he was one of our love Gods....Saint Nicholoas.....he was our Yule God...lol. The more and more I study Wicca, I see how many things were stolen from us. I was Agnostic, but studying as a Jehovah's Witness (as my parents were) for most of my life, but I was always drawn to the Craft, I know this is the right religion for me. Now, when I say that there are many forms of Wicca/Paganism, I am what would be considered a White Witch, I deal in happiness, healing, love, and all things pure. My husband, is a studying Green Witch, who deals in all things nature (this is the simplest form of Wicca IMHO), then of course there is Black Magick, which should NEVER be used, but it is, sadly. And the Black Magick Wiccans are where we get our bad rep from. When people find out you are Wiccan, Black Magick is what popps into their heads....because that is what Christianity told them Wiccans are...and because that is what the media portrays us as. Ok, I think I have gone on a bit to long, rant style, lol, so I'll leave it at that, but if you have any other ?'s I'll be glad to answer them.
August 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Ok...I'll add a little to what Willowkarr has posted.

Paganism is an earth-based, earth-loving paradigm where nature is revered as Godess and God, like a Yin/Yang. There are a wide variety of pantheons as well, depending on the culture and geographic location of the practitioner, (i.e. Greek Gods/Goddesses, Norse, Aztec, Celtic, etc...) Many modern day Western practitioners adopt a pantheon that suits them or reflects their heritage.

They also practice magic(k) optional 'k' at the end usually differentiates ceremonial magick from slight-of-hand stage magic . Magick from this perspective is usually defined as the art of causing change in accordance with one's will.

One thing I'd like to clear up if I may, about the practice of "Black Magick"...as many Wiccans or other practitioners of the craft feel persecuted by other religions (mainly xians) for their practice, they are often as guilty of doing the same injustice to those in the Dark Arts.

The stereotype of a Black Magician/Satanist is that they are out to cause harm, or be otherwise malicious without warrant. If you'd visit some reputable boards and do some reading, you'd find that this is not so. The difference in the color of magic is the perspective. Period. The black magician takes credit for his/her magic as being that of "my will be done" as opposed to "Thy Will".

There are magickal punks out there who like to take credit for their doings under the guise of a black magick practitioner or satanist, but a little research will prove them to be nothing more than a front.

For more info...I'd reccommend a read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

or here:
http://www.mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86
August 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Well, I am Wiccan, but Agnostic was the closest thing listed to my religion. Someone told me about Justmommies, and specifically said there was a Wiccan/Pagan spot here, I have not seen it, but I really like the whole place from what I have seen, anyway, About me? Read my siggy, lol. Thanx for listening, and any help you can give me to direct me to the right place would be great![/b]
Hi! Hubby and I are also Wiccan... I was disappointed to see that there was no Pagan board under the religion section.

Quote:
Can either of you give a quick rundown on what the beliefs are for a Pagan/Wiccan?[/b]
Check out Wikipedia.org (you can type in Wicca and/or Paganism). Also check out ReligiousTolerance.org. Both sites have a good run down on what the beliefs are.

August 17th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
There are many different Gods and Goddesses....one of our more famous Gods is what is now the Devil in Christianity....don't take that the wrong way, we are not Devil Worshipers....there is no such thing as the Devil, he was made up by the Christians to persuade people away from the old religion (ours) and into theirs. This "Devil" is our horned God, a very un-devil-like God. He is the God of horned animals...deer...antilope...you get the picture.[/b]
Interesting. What evidence is there that any of these Gods or Goddesses actually exist?
August 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM
mrobinson
You know ladies, we really tried to rally the Pagans on the spirituality board but for some reason we couldn't connect with them I guess.. If you ever wanted to post there, I know it would be a great place. They are looking for a co-host so if a pagan was a co-host it would really make it perfect for everyone.. I couldn't bring myself to say I am a pagan because although I believe in the Earth and the force of nature, I don't enough to confidently say so.. I am native so I have so many leanings to my culture that seem to fit within Pagan beliefs.

Quote:
Interesting. What evidence is there that any of these Gods or Goddesses actually exist?[/b]
I don't blame you for question it, especially on an atheists board.
August 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Daddy
Congratulations on the new Pagan board!
August 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Interesting. What evidence is there that any of these Gods or Goddesses actually exist?[/b]
Absolutely none. Just like there is no proof of the Abrahamic God, or the Hindu deities, or the deities from mythology, etc etc. But there also isnt any NON-proof either. Meaning a Higher Power is neither provable nor disprovable.

August 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely none. Just like there is no proof of the Abrahamic God, or the Hindu deities, or the deities from mythology, etc etc. But there also isnt any NON-proof either. Meaning a Higher Power is neither provable nor disprovable.
[/b]
Right, but in this case you cannot prove the negative side of the argument (that a god does not exist). That would require knowledge of every place in the Universe in evey possible realm. There are an infinite number of possibilities out there, so by your logic they are all valid beliefs? Is that in any way logical?
August 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM
"There are an infinite number of possibilities out there"
Exactly.

"so by your logic they are all valid beliefs?"
Yep. I believe all beliefs are valid. They may not be totally true... but theyre still valid. I believe it doesnt matter what belief system you put faith in (or even if its no belief system at all)... and that we all go to the same place.
I may be wrong, I may be right... but honestly thats never been a concern of mine. We'll find out when we die (if even then).

August 21st, 2006, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
"There are an infinite number of possibilities out there"
Exactly.

"so by your logic they are all valid beliefs?"
Yep. I believe all beliefs are valid. They may not be totally true... but theyre still valid. I believe it doesnt matter what belief system you put faith in (or even if its no belief system at all)... and that we all go to the same place.
I may be wrong, I may be right... but honestly thats never been a concern of mine. We'll find out when we die (if even then). [/b]
You do have a point, "beliefs" are not necessarily associated with "truths". So that begs the question: Is humanity best served by having reality based beliefs, or beliefs based on fantasy? If you consider Muslim extremists, or hardcore Fundamentalist Christians, that think it is ok to blow people up for believing differently than others, does that help society or hurt it? I would suggest that it is best to be reality based because then it is much easier to rationalize with a person. How do you rationalize with someone that has the fantasy belief that they will get 72 virgins in heaven for killing infidels?
August 21st, 2006, 08:07 AM
Are there degrees of accepted rationale? The majority of western civilization accepts the fantasy that bodies can be resurrected and walk the earth again a la zombies. The behavior of the believer seems to be more the concern.
August 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
Are there degrees of accepted rationale? The majority of western civilization accepts the fantasy that bodies can be resurrected and walk the earth again a la zombies. The behavior of the believer seems to be more the concern.[/b]
On a more relative note, over 50% of Americans take the Bible literally, meaning 6 day creation, talking donkeys, bread falling from the sky for 40 years, Jesus returning "soon", etc. These fantasy beliefs have an overall negative effect of society. They dismiss the validity of science (evolution), they affect policy that prevents science from advancing (stem cell research), they create a casual "we are only here for a temporary amount of time" feeling and that affects long-term policies because... who cares, Jesus is coming back. I think humanity is best served when it faces reality head-on. Unfortunately, we have created a society that stuck in a comfortable religious rut.
August 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Quote:
Quote:
Well, it does differ for each person, because there are just so many forms of Witchcraft/Paganism, there really is no cut and dry about what we believe...BUT...I can tell you what I believe, lol.

I believe that there is a higher power...a "Diety" (hmm, not sure if I spelled that right, it looks odd, lol) and they way to contact them, is through the God and the Goddess, this higher power is not accessable or known to the living, but it answers our prayers/spells. There are many different Gods and Goddesses....one of our more famous Gods is what is now the Devil in Christianity....don't take that the wrong way, we are not Devil Worshipers....there is no such thing as the Devil, he was made up by the Christians to persuade people away from the old religion (ours) and into theirs. This "Devil" is our horned God, a very un-devil-like God. He is the God of horned animals...deer...antilope...you get the picture. MANY of our "traditions" were stolen by Christians...then either twisted against us, or formed into their own traditions....St. Valentine....he was one of our love Gods....Saint Nicholoas.....he was our Yule God...lol. The more and more I study Wicca, I see how many things were stolen from us. I was Agnostic, but studying as a Jehovah's Witness (as my parents were) for most of my life, but I was always drawn to the Craft, I know this is the right religion for me. Now, when I say that there are many forms of Wicca/Paganism, I am what would be considered a White Witch, I deal in happiness, healing, love, and all things pure. My husband, is a studying Green Witch, who deals in all things nature (this is the simplest form of Wicca IMHO), then of course there is Black Magick, which should NEVER be used, but it is, sadly. And the Black Magick Wiccans are where we get our bad rep from. When people find out you are Wiccan, Black Magick is what popps into their heads....because that is what Christianity told them Wiccans are...and because that is what the media portrays us as. Ok, I think I have gone on a bit to long, rant style, lol, so I'll leave it at that, but if you have any other ?'s I'll be glad to answer them.
[/b]
I am really just a lurker.. but I LOVE your siggie. How cute!

</div>
August 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Is humanity best served by having reality based beliefs, or beliefs based on fantasy? If you consider Muslim extremists, or hardcore Fundamentalist Christians, that think it is ok to blow people up for believing differently than others, does that help society or hurt it? I would suggest that it is best to be reality based because then it is much easier to rationalize with a person. How do you rationalize with someone that has the fantasy belief that they will get 72 virgins in heaven for killing infidels?[/b]
That reminds me of the thread I have on suffering and ego.. You can't rationalize with people who have extreme beliefs ~ they interpretate life their way. Which I think is the root to the world's conflicts..

Quote:
Quote:
Are there degrees of accepted rationale? The majority of western civilization accepts the fantasy that bodies can be resurrected and walk the earth again a la zombies. The behavior of the believer seems to be more the concern.[/b]
On a more relative note, over 50% of Americans take the Bible literally, meaning 6 day creation, talking donkeys, bread falling from the sky for 40 years, Jesus returning "soon", etc. These fantasy beliefs have an overall negative effect of society. They dismiss the validity of science (evolution), they affect policy that prevents science from advancing (stem cell research), they create a casual "we are only here for a temporary amount of time" feeling and that affects long-term policies because... who cares, Jesus is coming back. I think humanity is best served when it faces reality head-on. Unfortunately, we have created a society that stuck in a comfortable religious rut.
[/b]
I think I started the faith thread too soon.. This is where I agree there need to be reality checks to the present moment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search