God the scapegoat

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Perhaps one of the most commonly heard catch-phrases among believers is "It was/is God's will".

We hear it when good things happen, we hear it when bad things happen, what I'd like to know is, why is it that folks would not require more from their deity and themselves?

The opposing views are pretty well exemplified in two different recovery programs for addicts.

12 step programs = through God we overcome and are otherwise powerless over our addictions.

SMART Recovery programs = Self-reliance rather than reliance on higher power; taking responsibility for one's own and thus controlling the addiction, rather than being controlled by it (i.e. refusing to be powerless)

Perhaps people are afraid to be solely responsible for themselves and their circumstances, because then they'd have no scapegoat, no one to blame. Is it so hard to accept that when something happens that the person/people directly involved had something to do with the outcome?
August 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM
mrobinson
Amen sista!
August 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's just a matter of how they find comfort. Like when you were a kid (if you had a decent childhood, that is) and something scary happened, you always felt better knowing your parents were there to take care of you and they wouldn't let anything bad happen to you. Not all adults are ready to give that up. So they find that comfort in their idea of God. He's the one in control and wouldn't let anything bad happen to them. Even if a "temporary" tragedy happens, he still has their well-being in mind and they just blindly trust that he'll work it out in the end.

Even we, as non-believers, have a hard time admitting that sometimes there are no reasons for tragedies. They are just a part of our existence. When we hear of an atrocity like a murder, the first thing we want to know is who is responsible and why did they do it. Sometimes there is no answer. Tragedies just happen. You can be the best, most moral person the world has ever known, and a tragedy could still strike you and/or your family. That's scary. It's scary to think that there's no rhyme or reason to these terrible things, that no one has it under control. It's just random chaos.

So people choose to believe in a higher being or authority that has everything under control. It makes them feel better.

Of course, these are all JMHO. Take it or leave it.

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
August 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
I think it's just a matter of how they find comfort. Like when you were a kid (if you had a decent childhood, that is) and something scary happened, you always felt better knowing your parents were there to take care of you and they wouldn't let anything bad happen to you. Not all adults are ready to give that up. So they find that comfort in their idea of God. He's the one in control and wouldn't let anything bad happen to them. Even if a "temporary" tragedy happens, he still has their well-being in mind and they just blindly trust that he'll work it out in the end.

Even we, as non-believers, have a hard time admitting that sometimes there are no reasons for tragedies. They are just a part of our existence. When we hear of an atrocity like a murder, the first thing we want to know is who is responsible and why did they do it. Sometimes there is no answer. Tragedies just happen. You can be the best, most moral person the world has ever known, and a tragedy could still strike you and/or your family. That's scary. It's scary to think that there's no rhyme or reason to these terrible things, that no one has it under control. It's just random chaos.

So people choose to believe in a higher being or authority that has everything under control. It makes them feel better.

Of course, these are all JMHO. Take it or leave it. [/b]
I believe 100% in everything your said! WOOHOO! (I feel like I am usually arguing with people)

I would just add that it is normal to question when bad things happen, and when really, really bad things happen, it is the peak of humanistic response to "cry out". Now, in religious terms, the crying out is directed to a god image, in humanistic terms it is not necessarily directed at anything or anyone. As stated above, one reason people tend to create gods is because they want someone to hear their crying-out... it provides comfort.
August 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
Is it so hard to accept that when something happens that the person/people directly involved had something to do with the outcome?[/b]
Not for me, but then again, I don't have a god to blame.

~Nay
August 21st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
Oh no kidding!

My cousin was so messed up by religious recovery programs. Couldn't do anything for herself, and everything that happened was just god's will, or god testing her, etc...
She has been such a mess as long as I've known her (she's 15 years older then me)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search