Log In Sign Up

Best friend is Apostolic..and I am...uh.....NOT!


Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,115
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Hey I'm new here, my name is Brandy. Ok so I can't say whether I am an atheist or not because I just don't really know but my best friend is a HUGE apostolic...she wears only long skirts, doesn't cut her hair, no makeup, no jewelry, no TV or music, only Christian books. We grew up together, partied together, drank beer, smoked a few...you know the things you do when you are a teenager. Now she has changed so drastically that at times it makes me angry. I can't relate even though I love her. It kills me when she tells me she is broke, living in a 2 bedroom trailer, pregnant with her third child but yet taking a trip to Disney. I ask her "why, when you have so many bills"? And she says "god will give me all I need". It's always about god and I love her so much but it is always a bone of contention with us. Do you think we can survive with so many differences?
__________________

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
mrobinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Brandy... I'm sorry you're going through this.. To be honest, I've had to let a few go for this reason.. I hope it works out but I'm too much of a realist in these types of situations.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM
smt smt is offline
Mega Super Daddy
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,587
Quote:
I hope it works out but I'm too much of a realist in these types of situations. [/b]
Really? A realist???

Reply With Quote
  #4  
August 21st, 2006, 08:17 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,122
Welcome to the A&A board!

Personally, I'd have a real hard time trying to relate to the ideals your friend has grasped, but your mileage may vary.
__________________
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">Kelly</span>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
August 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Kath M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: olympia, wa
Posts: 4,025
woah! apostolic is hard core. I can be friends with anyone as long as they don't try to push their beleifs on me and we actually have things in common. I would never let relegion alone get between me and someone else but I often find the more relgious person has the problem with the friendship and we end up drifting apart. People tend to like to be around those that think like themselves. it is human nature. That is why I am so comfortable here.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
August 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
kadydid
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Hey I'm new here, my name is Brandy. Ok so I can't say whether I am an atheist or not because I just don't really know but my best friend is a HUGE apostolic...she wears only long skirts, doesn't cut her hair, no makeup, no jewelry, no TV or music, only Christian books. We grew up together, partied together, drank beer, smoked a few...you know the things you do when you are a teenager. Now she has changed so drastically that at times it makes me angry. I can't relate even though I love her. It kills me when she tells me she is broke, living in a 2 bedroom trailer, pregnant with her third child but yet taking a trip to Disney. I ask her "why, when you have so many bills"? And she says "god will give me all I need". It's always about god and I love her so much but it is always a bone of contention with us. Do you think we can survive with so many differences?[/b]
I think as we grow older we grow out of the friends from our childhood. I see some of my old friends sometimes, and I just can not relate to them anymore. When once they were my whole life, now are so different.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
August 22nd, 2006, 07:51 AM
mrobinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Quote:
I hope it works out but I'm too much of a realist in these types of situations. [/b]
Really? A realist???


[/b]
Noticed I said ~ in these situations!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
August 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,115
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Quote:
woah! apostolic is hard core. I can be friends with anyone as long as they don't try to push their beleifs on me and we actually have things in common. I would never let relegion alone get between me and someone else but I often find the more relgious person has the problem with the friendship and we end up drifting apart. People tend to like to be around those that think like themselves. it is human nature. That is why I am so comfortable here. [/b]
I agree, when she first told me about all the rules of being an apostolic one word came to mind...CULT. It was really scary to me and although I have met quite a few of her church members and have found that they are really nice, I always feel out of place and not worth as much as them. I try not to talk to her right before my period comes because I get so angry and irritable about it that I just go off. Then she tells me she prays for me and we end up being friends again. I just can't relate to her and not sure I ever will.
__________________

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0